Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

The UPS man just left! LRP ZR.30!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
sdh1391

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The UPS man just left! LRP ZR.30!

Thanks for the update Glenn.. Having a hard time deciding on the lrp.30 or picco.28? Wouldn't be that hard of a choice if I could find the picco..LOL
Thanks Again..
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 PM
ShoestringRacer

ORIGINAL: BudBud

As soon as I put the glow charger on, it seizes at TDC and stops my starter box. I am going to have to break out the heat gun. It spins freely until you put the charger on, even with the plug loose.

How is the application of the glow plug starter causing the piston to stick in the sleeve??

I don't quite understand the concern with the "close tolerances between the piston and sleeve". That is how the engine is engineered; to have a tapered fit, or 'pinch'. A good pinch on a new engine is the sign of a quality engine. I would be glad I got my money's worth.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
ShoestringRacer

I get the impression some of you guys seem to be expecting quite a lot from this motor.

I don’t put too much faith in the power claims made by the manufacturer, but if we use the numbers given to us as a benchhmark for comparison, the X Competition version has 2.18% more power than the pullstart so don’t expect any difference there - that is less of a difference than tuning, pipes and fuels can make.

The X Comp does have 5100 more top end RPM, which is 15.36% more than the pullstart.

Aside from the minor differences in the cooling head (it has ‘lightening holes’) and the carby, about the only substantial difference between the two engines is the powerband.

Of course, I'll still try one out....eventually!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: ShoestringRacer

I get the impression some of you guys seem to be expecting quite a lot from this motor.

I don’t put too much faith in the power claims made by the manufacturer, but if we use the numbers given to us as a benchhmark for comparison, the X Competition version has 2.18% more power than the pullstart so don’t expect any difference there - that is less of a difference than tuning, pipes and fuels can make.

The X Comp does have 5100 more top end RPM, which is 15.36% more than the pullstart.

Aside from the minor differences in the cooling head (it has ‘lightening holes’) and the carby, about the only substantial difference between the two engines is the powerband.

Of course, I'll still try one out....eventually!
I am curious if the two extra ports really make any difference. I think the performance difference would have more to do with the better seal and less rotating mass of the truggy version.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: ShoestringRacer

As soon as I put the glow charger on, it seizes at TDC and stops my starter box. I am going to have to break out the heat gun. It spins freely until you put the charger on, even with the plug loose.

How is the application of the glow plug starter causing the piston to stick in the sleeve??

I don't quite understand the concern with the ''close tolerances between the piston and sleeve''. That is how the engine is engineered; to have a tapered fit, or 'pinch'. A good pinch on a new engine is the sign of a quality engine. I would be glad I got my money's worth.
I have run into Piccos that do the same thing, only it is usually a 2-3 gallon break in when you run into that. The last 30, the pull version, was very tight too, but it is fairly loose now that it has over a gallon on it. From your prior posts, I know that the piston cannot be swelling due to the heat of the charger, so the sleeve must be absorbing the heat and pinching the piston. I agree the tight fit is a good thing, the quality of the parts in this line of engines is not a good as the Piccos. At least not in my honest opinion. Time will tell.

I heard great reviews on the LRP 28 and was pretty disappointed with the performance and life of the engine. I was hoping the larger displacement of the 30 and the fact that they claim they redesigned it for the larger displacement would give it comparable performance to the Picco 28. Glen
Old 06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
enoctis

...it is usually a 2-3 gallon break in when you run into that...
Oh sweet Jesus! I certainly hope this isn't the case with the ZR.30 X; the painfully long break-in process will absolutely KILL me. This being said, I find it necessary to ask you, Glen, about that specific break-in.

Knowing that you like to do your break-in "on blocks" so you can more closely monitor your engine temps during the process, please tell me that the 2-3 gallon break-in you mentioned was not done entirely on blocks. Please? Pretty please? If so, the ZR.30 X might be on hold for a while. Otherwise, how much of it was done on blocks?

Also, if you have posted a break-in tutorial (so-to-speak), could you give me a link? Unfortunately, my upcoming July 2nd purchase of the Savage XL might have been put on hold for 2 more weeks with fireworks as the possible culprit. My wife and I spent $300 on fireworks the other day. We've been married for 3 years and haven't been able to spend a single Independence Day together courtesy of the United States Army. Definitely not gonna miss this one! Below is a link to a picture of our fireworks.. and yes, in the picture with my wife holding a firework, that IS the actual fuse.

http://www.enoctis.net/fireworks.jpg

-Sean

REASON FOR EDIT:
Why does the forum remove two consecutive hyphens in a post? Ex. "- -" (without the space).
Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
BudBud

That was a couple of very tight Piccos. My first LRP 30 was really tight, but within a gallon it came around. I ran it on the block or can longer than most SH based engines, but I could have easily been driving it. It has been a wonderful engine so far. Glen
Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
BudBud

Fourth tank... 220 degrees, ran for roughly 20 minutes today. Still using a heat gun to start it and running it miserably rich, looking much better though! I wish I had more time to spend working with it, maybe tomorrow. Glen
Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 AM
captain caveman

Hi Budbud, great thread!

How you gettin on with the LRP now?

Hopefully if the rain holds off in the UK il break my LRP .30 in today!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM
BudBud

I have the original running super, it has been a pleasure to own. I have the 30 X broken in, I think, I have run about 3/4 of a gallon through it. I was planning on running it last weekend, but these 100+ degree days have taken some of the fun out. 37 degrees C for those on the real system. We are planning to hit the grass with it. I have it in a Mugen and everything is set up to rip. It is on a JP-3 pipe and header. Glen
Old 07-13-2009, 04:50 PM
captain caveman

Cool! how do you think the X compares to the spec 2?

I was thinking buying the X and swapping over the backplate assembly and pullstart, but started getting my spec 2 broken in today with my son and im more than impressed with it so far! on 18/47, standard hpi polished pipe, FLM extended chassis with a full tank of fuel up front (mid tanked savvy x 3 speed) and it wants to flip the truck on its back on factory settings doing the heat cycle break in!! lol

Iv ran both an F4.6 and a K4.6 in the ext chassis on the same gearing and thought wheelies were now a thing of the past unless i changed the CB/SG gearing.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
BudBud

My Spec 1 tosses my XL around easily on Terra Pins and a two speed. Pretty impressive, easy to tune, a hard engine to fault at this point. The X engine is acting the same as the Spec did, I doubt I see much difference. Glen
Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 PM
captain caveman

Ok, so the X version probably wouldnt be worth the extra expense then and to be honest now iv had the spec 2 running i think once fully broken in and tuned will have about all the power il need.

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=003-9.flv

This is a little vid of mine after 6 tanks, factory settings, done 4 tanks of heat cycling and got 8 tanks thought it total today, would of put more through but started having steering servo problems so that put an end to the day. This is my son driving BTW
Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 PM
BudBud

I see a ittle more smoke from mine, but yours sounds good. Mine seems to just get stronger everytime I run it. I see your son has learned to nurse the throttle a little, that wing makes a great wheelie bar. After you get past my screaming Picco, you can see my 30 tossing my XL around in this video. I am really enjoying this engine, quite the statement from a Picco man. Glen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VxBS...eature=channel
Old 07-13-2009, 07:39 PM
captain caveman

Awesome stuff man!! Ive seen most your vids on youtube but not that one. Both the engines seem to cover that distance in the same kinda time, cool!

Yea, i noticed there was a small tear in my pressure line just where it pushes onto the nipple on the pipe after that vid so it must have been a little bit of a lean moment hence not a great deal of smoke for a breaking in engine, my video quality is really bad too as its just mobile phone footage so all the smoke cant be seen really but it is smokier as it should be now iv sorted the pressure line out, cant wait to get it fully broken in and tuned!

The wing makes a great wheelie bar, im thinking of fitting a couple of wheels either end of the wing and taking my hpi wheelie bar off, its cracked now anyway, a couple of roller blade wheels should do the trick lol