Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Who has JB welded their diff case

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Brent Davis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has JB welded their diff case

I just replaced the entire guts in my stock diff case with a new set of diff cases too and when running the truck now it will flip to one side real hard but then at times it will wheelie perfectly straight like it should. I am guessing that the spider gears are acting up and was wondering about JB welding the whole set up solid. Any insight on this?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Who has JB welded their diff case

Unless the gears are torn up, you should be fine. If you want more controllable wheelies then get some thicker differential fluid in the back. There are also differential lockers that you can get. I am running a Maximizer lock on the front of my X and it works pretty well. Keep in mind that if you lock both diffs, then it will be impossible to turn on pavement and that some added wear on the cups and bones may happen.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah some thicker oil would do you pretty good or lock um...

the lug
Old 05-04-2009, 03:15 PM
bigwaltc

If you just want to see how the truck will react stuff the diff with play dough that way if you don't like it you can get it out easy. If you JB weld it it is locked for life [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM
BudBud

Mobil 1 Wheel Bearing lube, like you use on trailer axle bearings does a nice job, stuff it full and go out to play!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JB Weld works great. Apply enough to where all 4 spiders and the 2 side gears in the diff are covered and let it dry....just don't overfill it or you won't be able to screw the ring gear back on. The stuff dries nice and hard so it will not break. Go for it.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 AM
rageworks

500,000 Diff oil.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM
fabrimacator21

Jb weld is good and fine but eventually it'll fall apart. Unless you COMPLETLY degrease then sand your spiders it'll eventually come apart. I've jb welded all kinds of stuff and it holds up for a while but eventually comes apart. I'd recommend the mobil axle grease or any axle grease for that matter. That's the best of both worlds. Almost locked but not quite.

If you wanna lock it up just buy a spool... IIRC they are only 10 bucks.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
black mamba

I forgot to mention to spray the inside of the diff cup and all the gears with brake cleaner before JB Welding. Thanks for the reminder dude above. lol
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
killbucket

I can attest to the Mobil1: It sticks like GrimDeath. Especially on a tablecloth...don't put it where you don't want it, because it's staying there!
Why hasn't anybody set up a wheel-brake sys on one of these? Then you could steer while on a wheelie. Sandrails were set up this way.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
black mamba

I'd use diff lock putty or even Silly Putty before I used grease as a locking "device". Grease eventually looses it's "grip" on the gears as the gears rotate through the grease and push it away-the locking effect progressively degrades as this happens and eventually you will have an open diff again. The putty stays nice and firm and the locking effect stays 100% because the gears cannot rotate through it-same for JB Weld.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 AM
twobnvd
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

Jb weld is good and fine but eventually it'll fall apart. Unless you COMPLETLY degrease then sand your spiders it'll eventually come apart. I've jb welded all kinds of stuff and it holds up for a while but eventually comes apart. I'd recommend the mobil axle grease or any axle grease for that matter. That's the best of both worlds. Almost locked but not quite.

If you wanna lock it up just buy a spool... IIRC they are only 10 bucks.
Agreed I too did this it held for a bit then broke loose. Ever seen a monster truck do donuts? That is what it was like would sit completly still and do domunts until it flipped over like a top. Was awesome. But did slide aroun d a little bit. If you have a bad set then use a actual welder if you have access to one. Jbweld will work for a little bit but if you have a bigger motor than a 25 and you have a good set of gears buy the locker as mentioned above. Makes traction like no other when bashing. I could climb out of any hole I put her in. Would wheelie on command with ease. But next time i will buy the locker myself unless its justa bad set of gears and I want to keep getting use out of them instead of trashing them. Good luck. If your a basher youll love it. If your a racer it will not steer like you are used to so not sure it would be a good idea for a racer.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:59 AM
fabrimacator21

I spooled my rear diff for a while and with good power it was damn near undrivable. REALLY squirrley on dirt and at high speeds and very hard on drivetrain on pavement. Awesome for slower speed but I pulled it back out after a week or so because of the reasons I mentioned. I haven't tried axle grease yet but sounds like a good idea.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM
killbucket

I forgot all bout hot-melt glue. Quit laffin, it works. Once it's warmed up, there is very limited slip. You do need a sealed diff case, and filling one with hot goo isn't for the faint of heart...The Wife's WildWilly2 had the diff packed to keep wheelspin down. No more flips!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM
killbucket

ORIGINAL: killbucket

I can attest to the Mobil1: It sticks like GrimDeath. Especially on a tablecloth...don't put it where you don't want it, because it's staying there!
Why hasn't anybody set up a wheel-brake sys on one of these? Then you could steer while on a wheelie. Sandrails were set up this way.

Seen the new Axial XR?

Wheel brakes!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:35 PM
djyjrlz

when i first got my savage the rear diff was locked and it had the most appauling handling, i just went for thick graese to stop the truck spinning its inside wheels and flipping...