Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

axial 28 spec 1 tuneing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:58 PM
hghflyrjd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axial 28 spec 1 tuneing

hey guys i got my axial 28spec one a new set of alluminum shows and a vented 17t bell im have alil issues with the tune i guess it seems to wanna stall when im getting hard on the gas.but once i leaned it more it was good it also seems like it could get alil more speed outta second. any help would be good
Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: axial 28 spec 1 tuneing

Sounds like you were just too rich, and that leaning it fixed the problem. It may still be too rich though. These motors arent big RPM motors, but they run very respectably, and it should be pulling some decent rpm. You may need to gear up a tooth on the bell or 2 or 3 teeth down on the spur to get more speed out of it. These motors have some great torque, so gearing up shouldnt be a problem if you cant get the speed you want out of it how it sits.

Eric
Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 AM
BudBud

Are you running 17/47 now? If so, you probably will not want to go higher in gear as the engine is no powerhouse. How tall of a tire are you trying to pull? If you are on Dirt Bonz, you might get away with 18/47. They just do not make a lot of power, if it is new, you may see more down the road. If you gear up, you may not actually see any increase in top end as the engine does not make a lot of top end power. A 12 pound truck is a pretty hefty load for the Axial 28. When it gets into second, is it just drawing the rpm out forever, or does it accelerate up and go flat? If it is pulling to where it goes flat, you might try a larger bell or smaller spur. If it is working to reach top end, you definitely do not want any more gear. Glen
Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 AM
cummins driver

I dont think I would want to run more than 16/47 with mine. Which would put it into the 40's im pretty sure. I know it has the power to pull that gear. 17/47 is probably a little high.

This is with 15/49 on mine. The shift is a little slow because its adjusted for 15/47 gearing, but you can get an idea of how yours should run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGawu...e=channel_page

Eric

Old 05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
hghflyrjd1

Well it sounds similar to that. BUT now with the new hpi aluminum shoes it doesn't pop up like it did befor. Even on grass. Why is that
Old 05-09-2009, 11:36 AM
BudBud

Sorry Cummins Driver but your truck is no where close to mid 40s. Here is a mid 40s Savage... the radar is in Kilometers per hour, 73 equals roughly 45.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvzKFUMt6hc&feature=PlayList&p=1D8EA0E0DC4BDDC9&index=51&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL]45 mph Savage[/link]

The F4.6 would pull low 40s, no way are you getting there with the Axial and 16/47.

He does get it to break 50 at the end....
Old 05-09-2009, 05:44 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Sorry Cummins Driver but your truck is no where close to mid 40s. Here is a mid 40s Savage... the radar is in Kilometers per hour, 73 equals roughly 45.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvzKFUMt6hc&feature=PlayList&p=1D8EA0E0DC4BDDC9&index=51&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL]45 mph Savage[/link]

The F4.6 would pull low 40s, no way are you getting there with the Axial and 16/47.

Who said anything about MID 40's??? I am very confident my truck would break 40mph with the right gearing. I have ran with an f4.6 when i was having carb issues. They are not that much stronger than the K4.6.

I guess if you cant afford a picco you might as well sell your savage

Eric
Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 PM
BudBud

He was asking about speed, definitely not an Axial's strong suit. Nobody said a thing about Picco, until you brought it up. It just is not fair to tell these guys that they can expect an Axial 28 to run in the 40's. They just are not that strong and I do not think it is fair to mislead people by telling them the Axial is a powerful engine, because it is not. It may have more low end twist than a 25, maybe....

Old 05-09-2009, 07:36 PM
cummins driver

It is fair. An Axial .28 will run low 40's with the right gearing. It "might" have more low end than a .25? I take it that it has been a while since you have ran a .25. My Axial outperforms it all around.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:59 PM
cummins driver

Here is a stock Axial .28rr doing 44.7mph. Yes, it makes a touch more power than the spec 1s, but from what i have read there is not much difference.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUE6xAVVhU&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

I am positive the spec 1 will break 40mph.

Eric
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM
BudBud

No, its not fair, that is like me saying my 1991 Cummins is close in power to my 2003 Cummins.

One engine was designed for top end and the other was designed as general use. I never bought a 28RR because you can buy an LRP for that money. My understanding is that the RR has considerably more rpm. Axial even claims it to be a high rpm engine suitable for truggy use.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
cummins driver

If you bought a real truck engine because of RPM, then you would have bought a 6.0l powerstroke. They turn around 3800rpm stock and dont make power till over 2k rpm, where the cummins redlines about 3200rpm and makes awesome power from about 1500-2800rpm and then starts going flat. Does that mean the cumming wont go as fast as the powerstroke on top end? Hardly...

I guess its pointless since i obviously look at my savage as something completely different than a high speed racer. My buggy was much better for that than the savage. Heck, even my MGT is much better at handling and speed runs. Its more stable. It seems a lot of people on here just like to gear as high as they can and getting every last MPH out of it on the top end that they can. When i take mine out, I like to feel the torque the engine has in the low speed situations. I didnt lower my savage because handling isnt what its about for me either.

Well, sounds like 30mph is all you will ever get from an Axial then. Give it up and buy another engine.

Eric
Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 PM
hghflyrjd1

Ok sorry for the fued here but. This axial 28 spec 1 is in my brother in laws X I have a X with F4.6 which seems to easily be faster then the new spec 1 so far. I also have the 28rr I'm waiting to drop in once I get my new flywheel and aluminum shoes and 16t vented bell in the mail. Then I can tell u guys which I thought was faster or more powerfull. But with these new hpi purple aluminum shoes the spec one won't whellie. Why would it loose the bite to pop up the front end. If I remeber right the 28rr has 2800 MORE rpms
Old 05-10-2009, 01:41 AM
cummins driver

No feuding, just a disagreement Did he stay with the same gearing when he switched? What springs did he use on them? Are the springs installed correctly?

Does it sound like it is bogging when given hard throttle or does it rev high?

Eric
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 AM
BudBud

My 91 will never see 2500, I think the governor shuts it down around 2450.

That is okay, she goes flat before then.... it is not really impressive at 160 hp and 400 ft lbs.... but it gets my dogs, toys and I where we are headed.

It will be interesting to see if the 28RR is up to the F4.6 performance level. That might be a close race, all else being equal. I think the F will easily pull away on top end.

Are these aluminum shoes being used a really hard shoe? Maybe they are not engaging the bell properly. The Hpi aluminum shoes for the XL work great and are cheap... at least from the chop shops on Ebay.

Yep, we seem to disagree on the Axial, the big difference in our stance is that I have had several of each, the Axial 28, Axial 32, K4.6, K5.9, LRP 28 and Picco 26, 27 and 28. I have also been around some really strong little Mach engines, both the 26 and 27 or 427. The K engine saga is like the Picco carburetor saga, it just never ends.....

The latest in the K engine [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8045911/anchors_8751847/mpage_25/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8751847]bearings never go bad[/link] posts. I have been lucky and caught mine before they unloaded, but most guys do not tear their engnes down for regular inspections.

Now I have been hearing the new LRP 30s are having leaky front bearing issues....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36097.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1195429  
Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 AM
hghflyrjd1

Well he kept the same gearing and used all the new stuff that came with the purple aluminum shoes. I got the xl silver ones comeing. I think we solved the stalling issue. But when it did stall it was only when we got closer to WOT.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 AM
kamicowzi
My Feedback: (8)

Screw em both...go LRP :P
Old 05-10-2009, 09:26 AM
cummins driver

When i put my integy shoes in, it took about a tank before they were working good. I guess they needed to get roughed up enough to start grabbing good. Until then, they were slipping and i couldnt get any wheelies out of it.

Bud: Yes, you are right, the governor on the old trucks is waaay down there. My 94 was also rated 160/400 stock so i have been there and done that It puts out well over double the flywheel rating at the wheels now though.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: hghflyrjd1

Well he kept the same gearing and used all the new stuff that came with the purple aluminum shoes. I got the xl silver ones comeing. I think we solved the stalling issue. But when it did stall it was only when we got closer to WOT.
if you're stalling on the top you're lean on the top, maybe try leaning out the low end a tad and richening the top, this way you're not trying to tune the top and bottom with the top....

the lug
Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 AM
hghflyrjd1

Yea I'm gonna hit thew low speed alil to see how that goes and well wait to see how the shoes start to work
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Who said anything about MID 40's??? I am very confident my truck would break 40mph with the right gearing. I have ran with an f4.6 when i was having carb issues. They are not that much stronger than the K4.6.

I guess if you cant afford a picco you might as well sell your savage

Eric

Its all about the money in this hobby isnt it?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 PM
BudBud

Unfortunately everything is expensive in this hobby. We are definitely making somebody very rich. From electronics to exhaust, there has to be a huge profit in the finer stuff. If you cannot afford a 135 dollar engine vs a 110 dollar engine, maybe you selected the wrong hobby.

I have seven Picco 27s that I bought for under 125 each, three are actually Werks labeled Piccos. I bought three new ones in December for under 110 dollars. Spend your engine money wisely, that is all I am trying to say. It does not make much sense to dump 116 dollars on an Axial 28, that is the cheapest price I can find shipped, when there are other options available.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoNY4FGBhI]Stock Werks 27 in an X.[/link]
Old 05-10-2009, 06:49 PM
cummins driver

It seems it is sometimes. I am in it to have fun, not impress anyone. I guess thats why I can take my MGT out with the HPI .25 engine in it and still have a blast[8D] Like i said, big MPH isnt really what im after. 90% of the time i dont run with anyone anyways, so It really doesent matter what mine run like as long as they are fun[8D] 35-40mph is plenty with an MT in my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions

Eric
Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM
cummins driver

Unfortunately everything is expensive in this hobby. We are definitely making somebody very rich. From electronics to exhaust, there has to be a huge profit in the finer stuff. If you cannot afford a 135 dollar engine vs a 110 dollar engine, maybe you selected the wrong hobby.

I have seven Picco 27s that I bought for under 125 each, three are actually Werks labeled Piccos. I bought three new ones in December for under 110 dollars. Spend your engine money wisely, that is all I am trying to say. It does not make much sense to dump 116 dollars on an Axial 28, that is the cheapest price I can find shipped, when there are other options available.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoNY4FGBhI]Stock Werks 27 in an X.[/link]

Thats the reason i cant bring myself to buy an aftermarket pipe, wheels and tires, and other things. I realize some R and D has gone into it, but man, a tuned pipe is still just a piece of pipe in my eyes.

Glen, you are probably right. There are better engines than the axial for around $20 extra dollars. For just tooling around the yard and the ruts and hills my axial has been a lot of fun for me. If it gives out early, you guys will be the first to know, and i will take my losses and move on. I traded some electronics for the engine and feel i got a good trade, so if i were buying new i may have chosen something else anyways. I am VERY interested in trying a Mach 427 next go around. That sounds like a heck of a motor for the money and as you know, i dont think i want something with as much guts as the picco or LRP so as to not really have to worry about my driveline. I will continue to run the Axial for now though. Its possible ill buy a Mach this summer even if my axial isnt dead, and run my axial in the MGT and the Mach in the savage. Im always looking for good deals on used engines too, but i may buy a new one this time around.

Im not out to make anyone mad, I know me and Glen have had our arguments lately and i appoligize if it ruined any threads. I definately dont want any hard feelings out of the deal We have to remember sometimes its just a hobby, and fun is what its ultimately about. [8D]

Eric

Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 PM
hghflyrjd1

Should it really take 2 tanks for aluminum shoes to bite right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.