Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

New Savage Flux - Using Less than 25c lipo???

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Savage Flux - Using Less than 25c lipo???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 PM
SureToCrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Savage Flux - Using Less than 25c lipo???

Hi all,

I just bought a new savage flux today (dropped the revo like a bad habit when I saw the awsome power of the flux lol) and ran it 1 time using x23400 mah 3s 18c lipo's and it seems the tranny blew on the first run. I didn't run it hard, it was a wheelie monster right off the go and then seemed to lose it all of a sudden after about 1 minute. I thought that was just a new set of lipo's breaking in and losing power fast on the first run. After charging the batteries a second time, the truck was lame right off the go and then just came to a stop with the tranny slipping.

Quite frankly this is insane!!! How the hell could a hardend steel tranny blow on the first run with at bestmid level lipo's?

The slipper looks good and doesn't seem to be the problem. I don't want to take it apart untill I call the lhs or HPI tomorrow and see what they say.

Any opinions or wisdom out there?

With a $1300 startup cost, this is pretty disapointing.

SureToCrash

* Furthur on in this thread the topic shifts to some serious lipo debate. I changed the title to reflect whatI consider the more important aspect of this thread as the original purpose was easily answered and hijacked by the lipo debate.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
pinkducky

Default RE: New Savage Flux - Using Less than 25c lipo???

Now you got me worried. I'm picking up my Savage Flux next week w/ 3S 40C 5000MaH Lipos!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 PM
TJ31

Did you tighten the slipper as mentioned in many threads?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: TJ31

Did you tighten the slipper as mentioned in many threads?
The slipper engages fine, the tranny spins.

Guess I should add my friend was actually filming the first run and when I took the cover off you could see the tranny was smoking slightly and there was a burnt smell. I'm new to the electric side so I didn't know what to think of that, just a hot steel trans I thought. I'll see if I can get the video up tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Freezetron

Those 3400mAh 18C rated batteries are definently not a good idea to run on that Flux. It only equates to 61.2amps of discharge, far below the HPI and Castle Creations recommended 120amp limit. They simple don't have the discharge rate to keep that MMM fed during heavy loads, so you risk frying it and or the batteries.

Irregardless of what happened with the tranny, put higher quality Lipo's in that Flux ASAP before you have a really smoky and sad surprise. You want to runo Lipo's with NOLESSthen a 25C rating for theFlux

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post5469766

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18981

Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 AM
ArancioC5

Here is the thing..... When you buy a new 1:1 car do you grab a friend with a video camera and do donuts just so you can get a few hits on youtube? The problem is that inexperienced people are given a more technical truck and it is falsely packaged as an RTR. HPI is as much to blame for this too by telling people to use 20, and 25t pinions when it needs an 18t pinion max for 3s, or doing anything more then speed runs.

What pinion were you using? Doesnt matter, call up HPI, tell them you didnt allow the car to break in and they will call you a silly goose and put you on the warranty wait list. Learn from experience, dont flog a brand new truck and wonder why it broke.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5

Here is the thing..... When you buy a new 1:1 car do you grab a friend with a video camera and do donuts just so you can get a few hits on youtube? The problem is that inexperienced people are given a more technical truck and it is falsely packaged as an RTR. HPI is as much to blame for this too by telling people to use 20, and 25t pinions when it needs an 18t pinion max for 3s, or doing anything more then speed runs.

I'm hardly new to this buddy. I spent over $600 on nitro alonelast summer. And you?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

Those 3400mAh 18C rated batteries are definently not a good idea to run on that Flux. It only equates to 61.2amps of discharge, far below the HPI and Castle Creations recommended 120amp limit. They simple don't have the discharge rate to keep that MMM fed during heavy loads, so you risk frying it and or the batteries.

Irregardless of what happened with the tranny, put higher quality Lipo's in that Flux ASAP before you have a really smoky and sad surprise. You want to runo Lipo's with NOLESSthen a 25C rating for theFlux
The lhs assured me that despite the 18c the batteries would meet the esc's needs. I'll look into it further but for now that was the best in town, the 6500 40c are on order.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:11 AM
SureToCrash

Well the batteries I have are SMC Lightning Volts 3400 ah 18c and the manufacturer swears it will run the flux without harming the esc, they say they have tested it at length and no problems so far. My lhs also agrees with them so I guess I will continue to run them untill the new ones make it into town.

Too bad it doesn't move right now.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
spiftacu1ar

ORIGINAL: SureToCrash

I'm hardly new to this buddy. I spent over $600 on nitro alonelast summer. And you?
I fail to understand how experience with nitro equates to experience with BL.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
SureToCrash

It means I now better than to be a show off when breaking in a new truck. My cricle of friends broke in7 rc's last summer. 3 revo 3.3's, Savage X, Savage XL, Firestorm, and a Jato so I think I understand that you take it easy on the first few runs. And $600 worth of nitro is more driving than most do in two years where I live. We are also discussing the trans or slipper so where do I need Bl experience to know how they work?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
SureToCrash

Well I took the tranny off and as I was trying to get the slipper off I saw what the problem is. They put so much damn locktite on the slipper nut at the factory thatit literally melted and ran against the back of the nut so when I tried to tighten it yesterday (after it had already cooled)it wouldn't move due toa big glob of burnt locktite behind it. It also had a large bead of locktite infront of the nut aswell so I didn'tthnk it could slip. Thatis what wasburning on my firstrun.So I cleanded all the locktite off and reassembled it and its all good now. Didn't know locktite could melt lol, but they sure over did it at the factory.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
pinkducky

I think the excessive heat melted the loctite. I suggest using red high heat loctite to reassemble them back. You don't want to just put them all back with  no loctite.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
SureToCrash

I used fresh locktite. They way I bash I locktite everything that is metal to metaland even put a dab of CA glue on metal to plastic parts.

I've learned my lesson before, screw sets for these things are expensive.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Freezetron

The lhs assured me that despite the 18c the batteries would meet the esc's needs. I'll look into it further but for now that was the best in town, the 6500 40c are on order.

Your LHS informed you wrong and I am going to pass this info onto SMC rep on RCTech about their people giving false information.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 PM
pinkducky

Yes SMC is wrong. If you read the manual it even say NO LESS than 25C!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
BANKRUPTER

SMC would not tell you that! I know that for a fact.. .
Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Adam Bailey

You LHS lied to you, I don't even know where you can buy cheap LiPo's like that except Ebay trash

Old 06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: BANKRUPTER

SMC would not tell you that! I know that for a fact.. .
Well, i've got this on nearly every single RC forum out there now, including Castle Creations and SMC's, so SOMEONEis blowing smoke up our asses and I wanna know who.

The amount of FALSE and MISLEADING information thats being spread around via uninformed peeps is killing Flux's left and right ANDITHASGOTTOSTOP!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Freezetron

I have sent the following email to SMC directly and I will post here so everyone is informed of what is currently being done about this.

Dear SMC,

It has come to my attention as well as many other Flux owners that very possibly one of your associates is spreading VERY misleading and inaccurate information about the battery requirements in regards to HPI's Savage Flux, particularly the MMM ESC created and provided by Castle Creations. It has been stated both via the HPI Flux manual and Castle Creations president that the MMM will work best and most reliably with battery systems that are able to provide 120 continuous amps which equates to a rating of 25C or above on Lipo batteries. Castle themselves have stated that lower rated and or quality batteries severely risks power spikes and fluctuations that can easily destroy the MMM ESC. I would like further details and investigation into this as already many peoples Flux's MMM's have died as a result of poor battery choices and having your associates giving MORE false information is going to lead to Castle and HPI have some VERY angry customers.

I am currently running your 6000mAH 28C Lipo hard cased Sport MAX batteries on my Savage Flux and they are doing very well and im very impressed with the run time and power they provide my truck. Being my first brushless RC as well as Lipo usage, my initial impression of your products is very high. However, I will not tolerate a company that gives false and misleading information that results in peoples products being damaged and destroyed and I ask on behalf of me and MANY other brushless RC trucks for an inquiry into this.

Sincerely,

HPI Savage Flux owner and concerned SMC battery owner.

Below is the attached thread where this discussion began

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8822591
Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM
BANKRUPTER

If you go to HPISF SMC is a vender and is active on the thread boards. I know they would not have gave this info

Old 06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Adam Bailey

The amount of FALSE and MISLEADING information thats being spread around via uninformed peeps is killing Flux's left and right ANDITHASGOTTOSTOP!
Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Adam Bailey

I have sent the following email to SMC directly and I will post here so everyone is informed of what is currently being done about this.

Dear SMC,

It has come to my attention as well as many other Flux owners that very possibly one of your associates is spreading VERY misleading and inaccurate information about the battery requirements in regards to HPI's Savage Flux, particularly the MMM ESC created and provided by Castle Creations. It has been stated both via the HPI Flux manual and Castle Creations president that the MMM will work best and most reliably with battery systems that are able to provide 120 continuous amps which equates to a rating of 25C or above on Lipo batteries. Castle themselves have stated that lower rated and or quality batteries severely risks power spikes and fluctuations that can easily destroy the MMM ESC. I would like further details and investigation into this as already many peoples Flux's MMM's have died as a result of poor battery choices and having your associates giving MORE false information is going to lead to Castle and HPI have some VERY angry customers.

I am currently running your 6000mAH 28C Lipo hard cased Sport MAX batteries on my Savage Flux and they are doing very well and im very impressed with the run time and power they provide my truck. Being my first brushless RC as well as Lipo usage, my initial impression of your products is very high. However, I will not tolerate a company that gives false and misleading information that results in peoples products being damaged and destroyed and I ask on behalf of me and MANY other brushless RC trucks for an inquiry into this.

Sincerely,

HPI Savage Flux owner and concerned SMC battery owner.

Below is the attached thread where this discussion began

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8822591
Seriously quote me one sentence where SMC or castle has told anyone your complaint online?

Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Freezetron

Ihave also sent the following email to HPI directly and will inquire via phone in a few days in regards to a response from them.

Dear HPI

The following is a copy of an email sent to SMC batteries in regards to a VERY large issue with peoples Flux's MMM ESC's dying as result of poor quality Lipo batteries. We have Castle Creations stating that their MMM ESC product works best on 25C or above rated batteries which can provide at least 120 continuous amps to prevent damage to the MMM from power flucuations and spikes. Castle Creations has stated that your suggesting that the Flux can be powered via NIMH also contradicts completely with what the Castle president has stated in the following threads.

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20951

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18981

Your company has obligations to give us consumers that purchase YOUR PRODUCTS the BEST and MOST ACCURATE information possible for us to run our products that will give them long life and reliability. We ask that you provide publicly announced and provided UP TO DATE details in regards to what BOTH YOU AND CASTLE CREATIONS agree upon on which batteries and specific battery ratings will work best win the Savage Flux RC trucks and the equipment that powers them.

Thank your your time.

Sincerely,

Concerned HPI Savage Flux owner

Old 06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: Adam Bailey

Seriously quote me one sentence where SMC or castle has told anyone your complaint online?

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...t=18981&page=2
Pdelcast RC-Monster Aluminum Pdelcast's Avatar Online Posts: 565 Join Date: Mar 2008 Report Post 02.24.2009, 11:09 AM Now, that said, ANY battery that is pushed beyond its capabilities can damage an ESC. Let me say that again: ANY BATTERY THAT IS PUSHED BEYOND ITS CAPABILITIES CAN DAMAGE AN ESC. AS CAN BAD CONNECTORS, BAD WIRING, AND BAD SOLDER JOINTS. We have gotten so oblivious to the fact that we are harnessing thousands of watts in these setups any problems in the system can cause problems with other components in the system very quickly. So we must be VERY careful NOT to push batteries harder than they can handle. The very same is true of Motors and people seem to accept the fact that certain motors can only be pushed to a certain point before they fail. Why do the same people not understand that a battery pushed beyond its capabilities can damage the ESC? The ESC relies on the battery to both SOURCE high currents without significant voltage drops, and to SINK high currents without significant voltage rise. If the battery cannot hold the bus voltages within a reasonable voltage, then the setup is PUSHING THE BATTERY TOO HARD. A battery needs to have the ability to sink braking energy during hard braking, and take that energy back as charge energy. If the battery can't take the energy back quick enough, the voltage on the bus will rise, and eventually it could get high enough to damage the ESC. We do bus voltage monitoring on the Mamba Monster, but if the battery is REALLY bad, the voltage can rise faster than the MMM can respond to it. It all comes down to this: Don't push any parts in your system beyond what they can REALISTICALLY take. This includes motors, batteries and the ESC. Just as some motors are better than others, some batteries are better than others. You can't expect a $25.00 Chinese motor and a $250.00 Neu motor to perform on the same level. Same goes for Lipos. There are applications where cheap lipos and cheap motors WORK JUST FINE but there are other applications where they may perform below par. Patrick

Pdelcast RC-Monster Aluminum Pdelcast's Avatar Online Posts: 565 Join Date: Mar 2008 Report Post 02.24.2009, 02:47 PM And for those who are interested... We've been struggling with whether or not to release a version of software that actually measures voltage ripple, and limits performance based on how the batteries perform. On one hand, it would prevent a lot of damaged ESCs, and batteries when users are pushing batteries insufficient for the application. BUT, on the other hand, a lot of people who are running "marginal" systems will see a performance decrease, and might yell "FOUL!" at us for releasing software that would actually lower the performance of their system. As it is, very few controllers actually get damaged by ripple voltage/current but the people who damage controllers this way don't just do it once and then learn a lesson. They tend to destroy controller after controller with the same bad setups. And then they blame US for making a defective product. Brian, and others, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.