Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Death to my rear pinion... my fault though..

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Death to my rear pinion... my fault though..

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:44 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death to my rear pinion... my fault though..

Okay, so I have this little hump that I have wiped out on who knows how many hundreds of times. Today I was up there running and decided to just run it for a while. I did, my landing percentage is not any better than when I started and I blew a rear pinion. That particular road bed has my number I guess.....

My X still does not have first gear and my LRP 30/XL was running super... until I broke it, that is....

My pull starter on my LRP 30 is wet with fuel/oil and it drips down the back of the engine. I am no LRP expert, has anybody else who runs SH based engines run into this? I am probably two to three gallons into this engine.

The rear pinion is stripped for sure, the differential itself still feels pretty smooth. I put a complete Flux differential in, tower and all. This differential has been in this truck since July of last year, who knows how much run time/fuel it has seen. Glen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VxBSaqfWG4The laughs are on me...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 PM
BudBud

Default RE: Death to my rear pinion... my fault though..

It is fixed, I have the Flux differential in there now. I am ready for tomorrow...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Savage_Dias

Cool video! This would make a good instructional video to show how the sound changes & the loss of power when a pinion explodes.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ireally like the way the LRP 30 is pulling.... Its not a top speed engine but dam does it have good torque...In many ways its likely a better choice for the Savage for many people then the picco is.....
Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Van Pelt

Did you lose the differential bearing, which then led to pinion/ring carnage?  I've never broken a pinion that didn't have a blown diff bearing.  I ran Avid's for a while and now I've switched to Boca green seal.  So far, so good.
Jon.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 PM
BudBud

Jon, the bearings are all good, the differential itself is fine. The pinion is all the broke and I can understand that! I really thought I broke a bevel gear this time, but notta!! Here's a carnage photo or two and because somebody always points out the dog hairs, I took a photo of today's brushings. I get that much hair two or three times a week, this time of year, not to mention the two or three trash bags I fill by sweeping the carpet. Glen

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62246.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	1218186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48041.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	1218187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80727.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	1218188  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 AM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

Glen, I'll never tease about the hair did you take that pic in my yard?That was the only gear that was damaged? Crazy, everytime I've blown a pinion the ring gear went with it.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 AM
rotzilla

i find it pretty interesting about all the different ways we've all wrecked a diff. front, rear, bad bearings, not shimmed, pinion and ring together, crashes, bad landings, and operator error i might of missed some but its definetly not one thing thats causes these problems except for all the beatings we give them. hey glen maybe stuff some of that hair in there it might help you never know. also you had me confused ( i know it doesnt take much ) with the new signature had to double check who it was....
Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 AM
BudBud

We have TBJ to thank for that, I thought his line was pretty funny. Kind of sad that I still have six or seven of those engines. You would think I could have given them all away by now. Glen
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Van Pelt

ORIGINAL: BudBud

We have TBJ to thank for that, I thought his line was pretty funny. Kind of sad that I still have six or seven of those engines. You would think I could have given them all away by now. Glen
Glen - My son has put about 3 gallons through that F4.6. It's still sealed tight and runs super strong.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
BudBud

Three gallons! You surely owe me another video by now! Be sure to keep me posted if it pukes, Imight have something else around here the little guy would enjoy! That particular F engine ran much better than the other two I had.

The F4.6 though, is a whole different ball game than the K4.6. Glen