Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Savage X 4.6 Top Speed

Hey guys. Just wanted to share with you my truck's setup and get your opinions on it. Ive been running my truck for more than 10 gallons on the 3-speed transmission. Ive also added the Savage X SS pipe. At the 9-10 gallon mark i got
    a brand new F4.6 engine (since i love it so much). At the same time as the engine swap, i got a new set of XL Terrapin tires. So ive been running with the new engine and Terrapins for about 2 gallons now. Just today i also added the Hi Speed
    3rd Gear (since one of the flanged bearings on one of the gears had failed and i needed to replace it anyways).

So my setup now is: Stock 17/47 spur/bell combo, Terrapin tires (added height/diameter), 3 Speed transmission with Hi-Speed 3rd gear (same as XL basically), and stock F4.6 engine + SS pipe.

So today I put a GPS on my truck to test its top speed . I managed to get 46 MPH out of it with a proper tune (note leaning it as much as possible, still slightly rich).

Ive never clocked my truck before, so im not sure what the top speed wouldve been with previous setups. So thats what i wanted to ask you guys. Do you think that the Hi speed 3rd gear + terrapins tires might be too much added
    Top End gearing, so the engine might struggle to pull, or does 46 MPH sound reasonable? (considering the X 4.6 should do 45MPH stock, and with added Hi-speed 3rd [15% increase], that alone should be 52MPH.)

Here are some pictures of my truck just for entertainment. Last one is for BudBud.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62444.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	1241700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61565.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	1241701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk17349.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1241702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oi15577.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	1241703  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Savage X 4.6 Top Speed

That is a great Savage running partner! I think your truck will probably get better top end speeds with a little lower gear on the Pins. I suspect it is too much load to pull. I like the secure wire on the air filter! Sweet stuff there, many times that would have saved me some heartaches. My F would still do wheelies with those big Pins and 17/47 gear though, amazing little engines. Glen
    My first glow fuel car was a Cox Dune Buggy in about 1968, my latest model is an Ofna DM-1. I have burned up a decent retirement in nitro fuel....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, thats a nice confidence booster. Regarding the filter wire, I used a piece of wire similar to a coat hanger. It is far more support than the filter could ever need since the filter is really light, so im really happy with that And yeah, my truck is mostly stock, except for the tires, tranny and pipe, however the majority of the mods that i have made are tiny little mods that have made the truck extremely durable , It has been through more than 12 gallons, endless jumps and close to 100 back flips, and i have rarely ever walked away from a bash due to broken parts. Only busted a single diff gear and an arm. The weakest points on my truck are the dog bones and bearings. No way i can mod these to improve them. I have busted all 4 of the stock ones and ive also busted 2 HD ones (while they were used to replace the broke stock ones). HD dog bones never lasted me more than a gallon. So now im running on a new set of stock dog bones and i have another set of stockers when the need comes. I have also had a bearing go on the diff, which caused the diffs to eat themselves. Clutch bell bearings always go. And the Flanged bearings inside the 3speed went, but luckily those didnt cause any damage. Lastly, my wheel bearings, some are seriously loose, but ive never replaced them and if they ever go, they wont damage anything, so im not worried.

As far as my top speed, i think u might be right about the gearing. To see if our thoughts are indeed true, i will try my GT2 tires. They are the exact same weight as the Terrapins, but are much smaller. So that should give a perfect idea of what the extra gearing is doing. I kinda doubt i will see higher top speed to be honest. lol. But we'll see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the only thing the 3spd does is accelerate faster and the terra pin tires are heavier than the gt2 tires. in which with the heavier tires it will cause the clutch shoes to heat up the cb and cause the cb bearings to fail. and yes you can upgrade the wheel bearings diff bearings to a better quality that can withstand more abuse but even the stock ones will last quite a long time with proper care. as for the wheel bearings if and when they fail they can cause severe damage to the outdrives resulting in grooves worn into them from the bearing case its self and could damage the dogbones with the extra slop in them making them bend twist and snap. if you want more top end and acceleration go with a much lighter tire/rim combo do to it will ease up on the load factor of the mill and cb/sg combo as well.

eric....

p.s. with the terra pin tires makes it harder on your diffs which shortins the life of them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

top speed will be about 42 MPH....
    Neal Smith..owner Clockwork Racing Engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah having a bearing die on you is bad stuff no matter what, if its loose replace it, little things can moving at god knows how many RPMs can do a lot of dammage,

the lug
    Savage Flux 2350 Evader ST Pro EXT \'\'Detta ST E Choas, HPI E Firestrom Novus CP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: supertib

top speed will be about 42 MPH....
    What are you referring to? What will do 42mph?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your truck
    Neal Smith..owner Clockwork Racing Engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh u mean when i install the GT2 tires on it?

Even with the added Hi-Speed 3rd Gear and SS pipe?
    Truck should do 45mph (according to HPI) stock. So im thinking realistically it should do 45mph with the extra gearing, no?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xXxCellARatOr

Oh u mean when i install the GT2 tires on it?

Even with the added Hi-Speed 3rd Gear and SS pipe?
    Truck should do 45mph (according to HPI) stock. So im thinking realistically it should do 45mph with the extra gearing, no?
    Never trust the numbers claimed by the manufacturer. A stock X4.6 will barely break 40mph. The high speed 3rd gear will add 1mph or so, the X SS pipe will add nothing (You should buy a real performance pipe, all HPI pipes are terrible), and with your current gearing, the Terra Pins probably won't change your top speed much. The larger tires will cause your truck to cover more ground per crankshaft rotation, but the additional load will limit the potential engine RPM.

As supetib said, 42mph is about right.
    \"Politicians and diapers are both full of crap and should be changed regularly\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcru...e=channel_page

That is a stock F4.6 on an 053 pipe with a three speed and 16/47 gears. When he was setting up, I told him he would probably see better performance and top end by lowering his overall gear ratio from 17/47 to 16/47. It lets him get really strong low end power due to the lower gear and spool up some third gear rpm. It is a great running F4.6 in my opinion. Glen
    My first glow fuel car was a Cox Dune Buggy in about 1968, my latest model is an Ofna DM-1. I have burned up a decent retirement in nitro fuel....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Results are in Finally got a day without rain and some free time so i headed out and tested my different tires to see what i could get out of em. Quite surprising results...

Top Speed with:

XL Tires (Terra Pins) >>> 46MPH (i retried and it was still all i could get)

Stock X 4.6 Tires (GT2 Tires) >>> 46MPH (what a surprise)

Savage SS Tires (DirtBonz) >>> 43MPH

Quite interesting. Here are my thoughts on what happened. The stock GT2 tires are the same weight as the XL tires but they start to balloon like crazy at top speed, which results in the same diameter as the XLs. The XL tires don't balloon (or hardly). The DBz are smaller than even the GT2s, however they don't balloon much since they are incredibly light. So the smaller diameter actualy reduces the Top speed by about 3MPH.

Now, it would be interesting to see what i would get if i were to try the same thing without my HI-SPEED 3rd Gear (just the regular 3speed, which should yield the same top speed as the stock 2speed tranny). But thats too much work for me, so maybe another time. Anyways, what do u guys think of the results?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think your engine ran out of power. Terra Pins will balloon, I have had them puffed up where they looked about 1/2 inch wide. The Savage is a load to push at speed. They are like pushing a shoebox through the wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meAyFVagZJ8

Savage XL making high speed passes on pins... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExDPpRdj_Vg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, the XL tires are probably too big for the engine to push, and im sure if I had something like a Picco or LRP i could do a lot more with the XL tires than with the GT2s. But the point is that the taller tire does actually help top speed somewhat, at least going from SS to the other two. So im happy with the setup nevertheless.

On the other hand, im surprised that even with the GT2 tires, which make the truck mostly stock except for the Hi-Speed 3rd, im only getting 46MPH. That should be stock speed without anything else.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xXxCellARatOr
    On the other hand, im surprised that even with the GT2 tires, which make the truck mostly stock except for the Hi-Speed 3rd, im only getting 46MPH. That should be stock speed without anything else.
    No, manufacturer speed claims are almost always way out in left field. A stock Savage X will not hit 46mph, more like 42mph if you're lucky. The high speed 3rd gear will add a few mph at most.
    \"Politicians and diapers are both full of crap and should be changed regularly\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Low to mid 40s are about right for a 4.6X if the engine is tuned right and all the other obvious conditions are met. To get past the mid 40s, you'll need a stout engine to move all that less than aerodynamic mass. Taller tires and gearing only will get you so far before the engine can no longer pull them....at that point you'll start to slow down. I'd be happy with what you have.
    Once you go BL and lipo, you will forget about nitro.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey First I gotta say nice forum. I recently purchased a used Savage X 4.6 rtr. I have to say im very pleased with its performance and durability. Its bone stock except for a hpi polished tuned pipe i recently put on it. Im running medium heat glow plug and Byron's 20% nitro. I have been searching the net for a realistic top speed. I clocked mine at max 47.7mph with a garmin edge 500. Hpi is legit on there promised speed. I plan to do some upgrades for more top end.
    Bryan
    A man\'\'s got to do something for a living these days........Dyin\'\' ain\'\'t much of a living, boy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

an f4.6 running on a perfect tune should spin 45mph out of a stock x 4.6, if it was an ss with the k i wouldnt say you'd get much more than 40. my buddy has a savage x with and axial 28 and the f seems to have a much cleaner mid-to top than the k series/axial .28's. the f's definately spin higher rpm, and pull harder. (this is just what i have experienced, i really do love the f4.6 for a rtr engine, get them on a good tune and they run beautifully). my f4.6 now lives in my xl with proline trenchers, 2spd trans and 13/47 gearing-she screams and the high ratio works beautifully with the tall tires.
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I have the F4.6. Its an amazing engine. Idles great and pulls reallyhard. I would be bummed to have the k series and be slower.
    RB
    A man\'\'s got to do something for a living these days........Dyin\'\' ain\'\'t much of a living, boy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, interesting to see such an old post be brought back to life. I thought the Nitro Savages were extinct by now with all the electric versions taking over.

I still have my truck, but I've been flying planes for the last year and will be in the future. Gone are the days of slow 45mph runs. LOL any stock plane will easily reach 45mph mark.
    Modded they reach 80mph easily. Working on a 120mph jet plane now

But my passion for the Savage X will forever remain and so will the truck in my collection.

And yes, the F4.6 is quite a nice engine. It has been in my truck since day one with only few times that I needed to run a replacement while re-building the F4.6 (had 10+ gallons on it and was still running strong but i stripped the head so i just re-did the whole engine). The new re-built has about 3-4 gallons now since I've barely been running the truck anymore. Power from the F4.6 has always been more than enough for the truck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want your doggy
    Keep your RCs, get rid of the wife. -bigwaltc-
    SFGP,HPIX4.6,XL,RS4 3,MERV,Kyosho IGT2RS, Redcat Rampage MT V3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

She's not pretty...but she is quick...
    RB
    ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

I want your doggy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heres that same doggy 1&1/2 years after
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kh17369.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	1562658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79011.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	1562659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va71383.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	1562660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke90427.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	1562661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ny27035.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	1562662  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sj72309.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	1562663