Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

MY IRC EXTENDED LCG CHASSIS + MID TANK KIT + LST SKOCK BUILD

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

MY IRC EXTENDED LCG CHASSIS + MID TANK KIT + LST SKOCK BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Revomad1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY IRC EXTENDED LCG CHASSIS + MID TANK KIT + LST SKOCK BUILD

I came across a Savage X SS kit that was unfinished on Ebay back in the spring. It came with a bunch of pricey upgrades that I didn't want, so I sold all of that stuff and started collecting the parts that I did want. After selling all of the upgrades that came with the X SS kit, I basically got the kit for free! Sweet deal, eh? lol

After a lot of research, these are the parts I decided on:

-A Novarossi 528xrp engine (found on a local classified site, still new and unused for $225CAN)
-An XL 3 speed
-An IRC black anodized 1" rear + 6mm front extended 4mm thick LCG chassis set (includes engine plate, skid plate, TVP's, and all necessary Hex screws) *This TVP kit is not listed on their site, so I can't link to it*
-An IRC Mid tank mod kit with OFNA 250cc tank and Firestorm battery box options selected. This kit includes an awesome CNC'd acetal receiver box that mounts under the fuel tank plate. http://www.innovative-rc.com/product...1050ed9953f6d7 Receiver box only: http://www.innovative-rc.com/product...1050ed9953f6d7
-An IRC LST shock mounting kit for X arms http://www.innovative-rc.com/product...1050ed9953f6d7
-4 LST XXL shocks bought on Ebay
-A bunch of other bits and pieces from Tower hobbies.

I started by "De-purpleizing" the skid plates and suspension braces using Easy-Off oven cleaner. I also sandblasted the skid plates to give them a clean and unique finish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2436.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2238468

Pics of the very well made IRC chassis. Pretty, isn't it?

Name:	IMG_2449.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2238469

Name:	IMG_2447.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	2238470

Name:	IMG_2443.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	2238471

The IRC receiver box/steering servo mount installed and the throttle servo relocated to the rear using supplied mounts from mid tank kit.

Name:	IMG_2452.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	2238472

Name:	IMG_2453.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	2238473

Name:	IMG_2455.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	2238474

The Firestorm battery box and KO Propo switch mounted to the front of it. The switch came with the X SS kit that I bought on Ebay.

Name:	IMG_2457.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	2238475

The receiver box all sealed up. I got everything hooked up without the use of servo extension wires, although the switch wire is stretched to the max. My Futaba FASST receiver barely fit in the box. This box definitely won't hold the stock receiver. IRC gives the required receiver dimensions on their site. I added an antenna mount to the lid so I could keep my short 2.4ghz antenna up as high as possible. The box seals up pretty well, but I will do my best to avoid spilling fuel!

Name:	IMG_2462.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	2238476

A better pic of the battery box and switch, as well as the HUGE LST shocks mounted! The IRC LST kit is awesome, but a bit heavy. I think it's worth it though. I went with plastic shocks to keep the weight down a bit.

Name:	IMG_2471.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	2238477

The OFNA 250cc tank and roll bar mounted. I had to do some dremel work on the roll bar to get it to work with the IRC chassis.

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2238478

40 series Mulchers and Axial oversize wheels (carry-overs from my old savy), engine, pipe installed and fuel lines run. The throttle and steering linkage setup was probably the hardest part of this build. It definitely took some time to get it right.

Name:	IMG_2500.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	2238479

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	2238480

I installed a Tiger drive unit on my Nova 528xrp. I had to modify the chassis a little to make it work. That's it just under the header. It's much easier to get the starter shaft into than the rear rotostart system.

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2238481

Here are a few pics of the Proline Revo 3.3/MGT size Chevy crew cab body. The length is perfect. I used Pactra Metallic Blue (2 cans), backed it with Indy Silver (1/2 can) and then "Limo tinted" the windows and painted the bed Outlaw Black. The Metallic Blue is very transparent, like a candy paint with metal flakes. I think I will go back to Metallic Black for my next body. 1 can of paint does the job. Easier and cheaper! lol

Name:	IMG_2566.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	2238482

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2238483

Name:	IMG_2545.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	2238484

I have a set of 40 series Mashers on the way along with another set of my favorite Axial 8 spoke black wheels. I will try to get some more pics with those before I get them dirty and trash the body! lol

I'm really happy with how this build turned out. The Nova 528xrp is insane! I will probably beat on this Savage for a year or so, then sell it and build another! lol. This is my second Savy build in 18 months.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: MY IRC EXTENDED LCG CHASSIS + MID TANK KIT + LST SKOCK BUILD

Man, that is a killer setup... I really like how that steering servo mounts. I am running the equivalent setup with an FLM chassis and I can tell you that I like yours more. Nice work!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Revomad1

Yeah. The steering servo mount/receiver box is pretty trick. It was a PITA to get the linkage set up so that the steering travel isn't restricted by the servo horn hitting the fuel tank plate brace and the side of the servo case, but I got it working nicely after some trial and error. I'm going to be paranoid about spilling fuel down there, but the mid tank setup is SOOO much nicer. No fuel lines running around the hot engine and 15-20 minutes of runtime out of a tank. That and it solves the half tank lean issue, although I never really found that to be much of an issue.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

sweet deal, thats a really clean setup, i like what you did with the purple parts

the lug
Old 07-26-2009, 10:02 PM
thzero

Nicely done... I do to like the steering servo/receiver setup.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Looks pretty good. A few things:

1) It wasn't a good idea to remove so much material from the TVP. That area sees quite a bit of stress during use, and there isn't much left to brace it.
2) You'll want to get some better dogbones. That 528XRP will be snapping the HPI HD shafts very frequently.
3) I've found that the spring on the Ofna 250cc tank isn't stiff enough, and allows the lid to pop open when you land hard with the truck inverted. I don't know if they have upgraded the spring, but I'm just giving you a heads up.

Other than that, I like it.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice and clean- thats the perfect setup, only thing I'd do IMO is drop the Losi shocks and get some good ol' truggy shocks- but hey not my truck . Great build!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 AM
megamaxx

very,very,nice.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Mattholew

Excellent work and choice of parts, that is a great looking truck. I also love that steering / rx set up. I too would say the only thing I would ditch would be the Losi shocks.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Revomad1

Thanks guys. I love the Losi shocks. They are super plush and they look awesome IMO. The only thing that will make me ditch them will be if they turn out to be a common breakage item.