Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Rebuilding Differentials - Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Mattholew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Differentials - Any Tips?

Sup guys?

I am having to rebuild my diff's both front and back due to bearing failures and since its quite an undertaking and very messy to do, I figured I would see if you guys have any tips or tricks that I should do while in there before I button them back up. Right now I am planning on just rebuilding them back stock.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Default RE: Rebuilding Differentials - Any Tips?

someone did a really good walkthrough of shimming the diffs. it must be a few pages back on this thread. look for that...it was a good one.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 PM
pinkducky

Here you go. It coves shimming your diffs - http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums...ad.php?t=11322
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Get some Tec90 or brake cleaner to clean out all the grease in the diffs. I prefer the stream sprayer because it gets into the nooks and crannies. Then just blow everything dry. Get yourself some new gaskets as well and make sure that all of the o-rings are in good condition.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
rotzilla

i know you said you were putting it back to stock, but id put a good set of boca bearings in.....
Old 07-28-2009, 08:49 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

I am going to try my AvidRC bearings out again and see how long they last. The differentials are a great place to have high quality bearings, mainly due to the fact that a blown bearing can cause some good damage and it is a messy job to get to the bearings while rebuilding...not really, but you know what I mean.

$1/bearing > $5/bearing BUT the extra few dollars will be worth it to save you the hassle of tearing the diffs down from premature bearing failure and the extra few dollars will be better off spent than buying a new bevel gear and pinion gear if the bearing explodes and grinds them up...true story.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Mattholew

I hear ya on that. I will get a better bearing. I got lucky, I had one bearing completely fail and come apart, but everything else is still in good shape. I will definetely need new gaskets and new shims as well. Problem is I a have to order them LHS doesn't have them so Im gonna be down for a while.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
SLAYERDUDE

pinkducky Date 7/28/2009 6:05 PM
Here you go. It coves shimming your diffs - http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums...ad.php?t=11322
That link sent me to a login page???

Here's a link to my shimming walkthru-
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8953585/tm.htm

Good call on some decent brg's guys!!!
That's what took out my last pinion - an exploded bearing on the ring gear side.
No matter how well your diff is setup when your bearings give up the ghost it's instant slop and carnage.