Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Xl engine conversion query

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:45 AM
wolfie1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xl engine conversion query

Hi i have another truck with am sh engine and its the most reliable thing ever so i was lookin at their range and noticed they have 2 4 stroke engine that would b the right size (it is also designed 4 off road cars) 4 my xl has anybody any experience with 4 stroke engines such as reliability and power?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 AM
BudBud

Default RE: Xl engine conversion query

None, but that new LRP 30 that SH is building seems to work great in the XL. The videos of it in an X are impressive too. Not as fast or powerful as a Picco 28, but a huge step up from the 5.9 and so much easier to live with. Glen
Old 08-02-2009, 05:35 AM
automan_1954

4 STROKE ENGINES DONT HAVE THE RPM RANGE THE 2 STROKES DO. eg: 4 cycle max rpm around 10000 vs 2 cycle max rpm around 40000. Also they are heavyer, ok for a large airplane, but I would never put one in a R/C car or truck of any size (1/14 thru 1/5)
Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM
TAKZILLA

it would be alot of work to convert to a 4 stroke.but would be fun to mess around with(poss a good winter project) i've seen several you tube videos on it.
If this is the only truck you own I wouldn't recommend it though,like BudBud said go with the LRP 30 or a PICCO
Old 08-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Mattholew

I think a fourstroke in a Savage XL would be AWESOME! You would have to re-gear for sure to compensate for the lower RPM, but it would have the grunt that could handle it. Why hasn't four strokes made more impact, is it all about the RPM range or do you think the steep prices have a lot to do with it?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 PM
dakamat

I have tried both, Picco 28 and LRP ZR30, and to my taste, the LRP is the best, way, way way way way more eazy to tune than the Picco, and personaly, i can't tell if the Picco is more powerfull than the LRP.

BUT, my Picco is in the hand of BudBud for now, i suspect a problem with it and Glen is suppose to find it for me.

So when i'll recieve it back, i'll can try it and tell if it is more powerfull than my LRP.

But believe me, i prefered my LRP ZR30 way more than the Picco, for the ease of tune, break in and powerband