Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Axle boots

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 PM
spiftacu1ar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle boots

The most annoying thing is cleaning out dirt/ debris that gets into drive cups when off-roading, cuz you have to actulaly remove the dogbone to get a good cleaning. Many buggies and high end RC's have boots over CVD axles to prevent this.

I wanted some (for ma savage). I got some. They work (so far).

I ordered a few different ones last week, and found a set that works on XL axles and standard axles.
here are links:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...2mm-Shock-Boot
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...axx-MBX5-TTR-4

The Associated "shock boots" work perfect with the XL bones and axles. A little grease makes them easy to get over the dogbone without the pins tearing them. The assoicated ones have VERY thick ends, which won't rip easy anyways (i tried without grease and couldn't get them on, but couldn't rip them either). If you don't want grease on the outside, you can use soap instead, it will come off easy once you get the boot on (i tried with soap and grease).

The dynamite ones WORK with the XL stuff, but they seem a little over stretched, and will probably wear out soon. They should work pretty well with standard axles though (since the cups are smaller).
Old 08-04-2009, 11:32 PM
TAKZILLA

Default RE: Axle boots

THANX,I was sitting here making out an order,great idea,saved me all that research time.
Just add a set to my order,cool [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 AM
spiftacu1ar

No problem. I have been thinking about finding boots for a while, but I don't have an LHS, so I can't see how big stuff physically is. Finally I said the hell with it and ordered about 4 different set. Those 2 worked. The associated ones are too big for standard axles though. (I use XL, so its not a problem). The boots are pretty difficult to get on, but it is possible. When you get them, you will hold the boot in one hand, the dogbone in the other, and say HOW THE HECK WILL THAT FIT IN THAT HOLE. Start by lubing it up, A LOT, then start by putting the small end of the boot over the pin. Then push REALLY hard into the ball of the dogbone (so 90 degrees to the length direction of the dogbone) With enough force, it will slip over the ball, and you will be stuck at the other pin. DON'T let go, it will come off if you do. Just push the boot towards the shaft until it slip over the other pin. It took me a good minute or two to push each boot onto the dogbone once I was prepared (meaning working lube over the parts and cleaning the dogbone first not included in time) You will easily spend 20 to 30 mins getting the boots on. Getting hte other end onto the axle is easy peasy

Also remember you need to order 2 packs (4 per pack, 4 dogbones x 2 per bone).

EDIT: WOW, I just realized how many that's what she saids will fit into that paragraph. Oh well, too lazy to fix.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 AM
mousecritter
My Feedback: (3)

Good stuff, spiftacu1ar. This looks really helpful. Let us know how they hold up after a couple bashing sessions.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 AM
spiftacu1ar

Will do, I am going to try to get my truck working this weekend (cross-fingers that the tower shipment gets here by friday). I am doing a complete rebuild. EVERYTHING is being rebuilt, including diffs. A lot of wear and tear items are being replaced (all plastics, and the plates under the bulks). I am also getting new knuckles (got just the individual parts of the HPI conversion from SMFstore, I don't need the adjustablility, just the durablility). I want to take it to a skate park on Sunday.

I don't plan on taking build pictures while rebuilding, but if you all want some, I will see what I can do.