Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hey guys what are your thoughts on this?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
bluesox_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys what are your thoughts on this?

I have a big question to throw out there. I have owned my first Rc and savage for over a month and I am loving it. It is a x and was purchased used. I feel this hobby is going to stick although I am just the type to bash around and laugh at myself while doing it. I have been looking online and found myself really wanting to build a fastlane machine savage with all the trimmings! I don't have a ton of cash but I would be fine if this project took a year or 2 to build and for me being not mechanically inclined this would be a big project but doable. I am content in the meantime learning more about my savage and just bashing but a friend of mine is telling me I would regret this and for a little better price I could go for a xl or a flux and it would be too pretty for me to want to drive. I don't want a shelf queen but I do like the idea of being dumb with my 4.6 and getting out the fastlane a few time a year at a real track. What do you guys think of this? Will a done up savage preform better the XL and flux or just sell what I have now and get the XL and be done with it. Will a done up savage be to "pretty" to drive and I will be so nervous driving it i wont enjoy it at a track. Is all this fastlane stuff going to make it a tank? Just like I said I am looking for some input so please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
Shane
Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 PM
thzero

Default RE: Hey guys what are your thoughts on this?

Good idea is to replace stuff as you break it. Adding everything FLM sells isn't going to necessarily increase your enjoyment of the Savage nor necessarily make it unbreakable; things like alumninum arms most people seem to agree are not a great investment as they are expensive to replace and can just transfer damage elsewhere.

The FLM stuff by itself won't make the Savage anymore capable on the track, it does lower the CG a bit which can help. But there are standard X low-CG TVPs you can get pretty cheap on eBay.

The differences between the 4.6 and XL can be easily added over time. And arguably the F4.6 is a much better engine than the K5.9 anyways. Things that could be added to 4.6 to upgrade it are the XL TVPs, XL axle extensions and dogbones.

ORIGINAL: bluesox_68

I have a big question to throw out there. I have owned my first Rc and savage for over a month and I am loving it. It is a x and was purchased used. I feel this hobby is going to stick although I am just the type to bash around and laugh at myself while doing it. I have been looking online and found myself really wanting to build a fastlane machine savage with all the trimmings! I don't have a ton of cash but I would be fine if this project took a year or 2 to build and for me being not mechanically inclined this would be a big project but doable. I am content in the meantime learning more about my savage and just bashing but a friend of mine is telling me I would regret this and for a little better price I could go for a xl or a flux and it would be too pretty for me to want to drive. I don't want a shelf queen but I do like the idea of being dumb with my 4.6 and getting out the fastlane a few time a year at a real track. What do you guys think of this? Will a done up savage preform better the XL and flux or just sell what I have now and get the XL and be done with it. Will a done up savage be to ''pretty'' to drive and I will be so nervous driving it i wont enjoy it at a track. Is all this fastlane stuff going to make it a tank? Just like I said I am looking for some input so please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
Shane
Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Aluninum bends, plastic flexes. I had an all aluninum hpi mt2. It was a heavy tank and it would bend parts.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Agreed with all of the above. Aluminum= heavy= more breakage in non aluminum area= expensive... Plus FLM has a crap warranty and their chassis/engine plate on my truck has pretty much warped and melted around the exhaust... There are certain parts on a truck that would benefit from being aluminum just from the increased rigidity, but very little.