Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Xl disaster continues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Xl disaster continues

That sucks! But I tell you waht, if you can make a trip down to Austin, there are several stores there that have 30% (that is when I was there a couple of weeks ago).

Give Hobbytown USA a call or Discount Hobbies in Georgetown. Georgetown might be shorter for you, all you have to do is go down 195 to I 35 and you are not far from there.

I'm in Utah right now, I havent been to any of my local RC stores after getting beck, so I do not know if they have 30% up here yet []

For your temps, since you already have a gallon burned through it, go ahead and lean it to get performance. Your 5.9 should already be fully broken in and ready for performance needle setting. You will really see your Savage come to life now.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM
enoctis

Thanks Jim. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems that Georgetown is only about 30-40 mins from here. I'm going to have a week off after my refractive surgery today, so I should have plenty of time to go down there and see what they've got. I hope, for your sake, that they've got some good hobby shops around Utah. On another note, I don't much care for HobbyTown USA because of their prices. Everything seems to be over-priced IMO.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

I'm wondering from whom you have heard all the 5.9 issues.
Mine runs great!
The 3 guys that I told to buy the 5.9XL have great running XL's as well.
I did give them tuning tips while they got the hang of nitro...
Not just nitro noobs you have heard blowing engines or anything I hope.
Here's what my XL 5.9 had to say about gallon #7
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHzkGSei_4[/youtube]

read the forums and you'll see how many of the 5.9's have failed ! its a HPI K engine.... doesn't get much poorer built then that.....they are a crap shoot, some are good, some aren't good...the manufacturing consistency is very poor as they are a dime store RTR engine....its one thing to use the 5.9 if it comes with the RTR, but it would be extremely foolish to buy the 5.9 as a aftermarket engine.... I wouldn't recommend the 5.9 to anyone other then if its included as a RTR, it would be a massive waste of money to be honest.... terrible engine, terrible performance, just a big gas hog ...big deal you got 7 gallons on it, the engine is a massive fuel pig so burning 7 gallons means nothing... Your video shows me a RTR engine running like a RTR engine ! sorry to say but its nothing even remotely close to impressive..... I am not trying to pick a fight with you either, but your pumping the 5.9 up to be something it is not......One day when you graduate from RTR engines your going to look back and laugh at yourself !!!! yes the 5.9 will run and burn lots of fuel, and is a decent starting point for someone new to nitro...but other then that its got nothing going for it.....
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM
THE BASHER

get the f4.6 it takes all the abuse you can throw at it and comes out laughing
Old 09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
mubus

lol... surprisingly my k5.9 is pretty ok
just went over the 1 gallon mark and nothings broken so far...
somehow i manage to get them to 250 F and still be pulling some wheelies
guess i got lucky:P
Old 09-05-2009, 02:31 PM
wolfie1

Hey, its not often there is somebody else this side of the atlantic on here, the only other person is from ireland
Old 09-05-2009, 03:21 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

I'm wondering from whom you have heard all the 5.9 issues.
Mine runs great!
The 3 guys that I told to buy the 5.9XL have great running XL's as well.
I did give them tuning tips while they got the hang of nitro...
Not just nitro noobs you have heard blowing engines or anything I hope.
Here's what my XL 5.9 had to say about gallon #7
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHzkGSei_4[/youtube]

I am not trying to pick a fight with you either, but your pumping the 5.9 up to be something it is not......One day when you graduate from RTR engines your going to look back and laugh at yourself !!!! yes the 5.9 will run and burn lots of fuel, and is a decent starting point for someone new to nitro...but other then that its got nothing going for it.....
For the record I'm not someone that's new to nitro or R/C. (Click on the MY MODELS button on my post)
I've been running the stock "RTR" engine that came with my Black tub RC10GT KIT for a good 10 years now and it still pulls wheelies.
And I was running Cox .049's when I was a kid 20+ years ago.

I'm simply defending the fact that for me and 5 guys I know personally the K5.9 is just fine.
4 of which were new to the hobby and nitro.
Not picking a fight back either, but for guys here to say "you need to sell the 5.9 and buy a Picco if you want an XL" is just ridiculous.
I have been made aware several times here that guys had problems with the K5.9 and the person that brought that to my attention said himself that he owned more than a couple K5.9's and never had one self destruct.[&:]