Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Steering problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 PM
enoctis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem...

I have ran into a steering problem tonight with my XL. Randomly, the steering servo will just fail to turn the wheels even enough to turn the truck around in a cul-de-sac (area to turn around in residential neighborhoods at the end of a street). Amazingly, the very next turn I take works as expected. This occurs when turning in either direction, but is intermittent. What gives?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Steering problem...

For this problem, you will have to tighten down on the cam-servo saver mechanism. The XL wheels are much bigger than previous Savage wheels so they have much more tire patch on the road. You will need to overcome that servo saver from camming up so that that the wheels will actually turn.

Also, if your radio has dual rate steering function, turn that off.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 PM
enoctis

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

For this problem, you will have to tighten down on the cam-servo saver mechanism. The XL wheels are much bigger than previous Savage wheels so they have much more tire patch on the road. You will need to overcome that servo saver from camming up so that that the wheels will actually turn.

Also, if your radio has dual rate steering function, turn that off.
Thanks for the reply. The dual steering function has been off ever since I realized what it was. I can afford servos... I demand all-out power to the servos when cornering. But, interestingly, I think I may have resolved the issue. I won't be able to be sure until tomorrow because it's now too dark out to drive. But here's the run-down of what happened:

I was looking at my truck and playing with the wheels to see if they were binding. When I turned the truck upside down I heard a rattle. I'm a bit intoxicated, so I shook the truck for about 2 minutes before I could isolate the origin of the rattle. Low and behold it was coming from within the receiver box. Upon opening the box, here's what I found underneath the receiver battery pack:

The other end of this loose screw was connected to what I can only describe as some sort of steering linkage. Needless to say, I reinstalled the screw, adding a bit of loc-tite. I'll do a trial run tomorrow and post results.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:52 AM
SLAYERDUDE

LOL
I was just coming here to tell you to check that.
It happened to me once and I think it's getting loose again.
That's on my to-do list right now along with checking the clutch and installing the stock brakes back on.
The metal disc brakes suck.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 AM
enoctis

Unfortunately, reinstalling the screw didn't fix my problem. I'm beginning to think that the dual rate control on my transmitter is faulty. Im going to be sealing up my engine today, so I won't be able to mess with it anymore until tomorrow.