Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Transmission death

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 PM
tator salad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission death

After getting my Savage running quite well today, I ran a full tank and wrecked it at the end of that tank. All I did was roll it, and the motor went nuts. I realized afterwards that two of the three engine screws had fallen out, and the one holding the engine in place was a little loose. I first thought that the motor was just starved and trying to get more fuel, so it was going hay-wire, but Ithink that it just got pushed away from the carbs normal "set" position, so the carb was pulled out, causing it to go near full throttle. The real issue, though, is now the rear tires won't spin when I start it up. The front work perfectly fine, but nothing in the rear. When I spin the rear tires, the dogbone connecting the rear diffs to the transmission spin, as well as the diff connecting to the dogbone. So is my issue really in the rear diffs, the transmission, or is there no issue at all? I think this might be a similar issue that I had with my last truck, so hopefully if I figure out this one I can get my old one fixed too.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Transmission death

check you diffs for operation just hold one wheel on the ground spin the other and see if your center shaft spins this checks both diff gears and grub screws if binds its your diffs if it slipps its your diffs or grubs

the lug
Old 08-31-2009, 02:02 AM
BudBud

I would guess that you lost the screw that goes through the brake nut/rear outdrive and that is letting the rear spin freely. Look at the groove next to your brake disk, there should be a screw head in the nut, it is a small hex screw. You are probably without brakes as well. Glen

Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 PM
tator salad

Alright. I went out and checked, and Budbud was right, that screw wasmissing. I also checked and found that I have several spares, so I'mcovered on that. I do want to know: In my opinion it shifts just a little late into second, how do I change it so it shifts up just a little faster?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
bigwaltc

If you are to rich the RPM's don't come up fast and you get late shifts how is the tune? Because you have to tear apart the trans for the 1/2 shift adjustment if it is a three speed [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
tator salad

It seems like it is running just right to me. I have a Nitro book that we got when we got my first Savage 25, and I read it and did this: I set the High-speed needle 3 turns out from all the way in, the Low-speed needle 1 1/2 turns, and the idle 1 1/2 turns. My Tranny is a two speed, by the way. I was looking for parts on the HPI site, and I think I saw something about being able to adjust something on it without even tearing it down. If I have to tear it down, it won't really be worth it since I mainly run it in an open field, I just wanted to see how easy it would be.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
bigwaltc

Well for one thing you cant tune a Nitro out of a book there are so many things that change the tune I'm sorry but you are probably way off on your tune if you just set the needles from a book . And as I said before if it is a 3 speed you have to tear the trans down for the 1/2 shift here is some thing that will help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-u2Ly7tYY0 [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
bigwaltc

And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma2_C...eature=related [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
rcslsafut

go to hpi .com download the manual for your truck that what i did it tells you how to adjust the trans shift point its kinda tricky to find the allen screw trough the
hole in the side of the trans but once u figure it out is not hard to adjust . you need two mm allen wrench and you need to turn the tires kinda to find the allen screws
you will find out all you need to know other than that on the hpi website
Old 09-07-2009, 12:09 AM
tator salad

Ok, so I got the new engine mount screws and the engine running about as perfect as I can get it. My only issue is getting it to shift a little sooner. I looked at the videos twenty times, tried to get it turned counter clockwise, but I still can't get it to shift sooner, and really at all. Could it be possible for A) the screw inside of the transmission to be gone, or B) for it to actually need to be turned clockwise instead of counter clockwise?