Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

lost all power to rear wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 AM
GRADEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost all power to rear wheels???

Have only had my Savage xl a week and have lost all power to its rear wheels.
the drive shaft at the rear isnt turning. i dont think the brakes have locked on.
as ive tried re adjusting them and no go.
in the last day at times it seems as though its had trouble selecting 2nd gear.
itl rev real hard and go no where til it changes, then shes off like a rocket.
until today when i was running it on my first dirt trial and noticed the front wheels were
ballooning but the back were just rolling along (plus no wheelie action).
so i called it quits, took her home, cleaned it up, started it, and no rear wheel action.

ive read something about shimming the diff. could this be the problem? as ive not done it.

or does it sound like something a bit more to it than just shimm the diff?

dreading pulling this apart, as im real new to this hobby. and looks pretty damn fidly.
i know i need to do it. kinda nervous about making a real mess of it.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:15 AM
aussiexl59

Default RE: lost all power to rear wheels???

hey bud,check the screw shaft in the rear out drive.it happened to me at the bmx track and i thort id done major damage.easy to fix hey.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 AM
wolfie1

Yea i also reckon its that grub screw pin rattled out somewhere, remember to put thread lock onto the new pin to stop that happening again and see once you get that sorted check that you havent blown the slipper pad on the back of the spur gear, you will easy tell cause there will be small bits of it sticking out cause that will make it rev hard and not change gear
Old 09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
SLAYERDUDE

I agree check the pin/setscrew that holds the cup to the output shaft on the trans.
If your LHS don't stock them I'm sure they stock the T-maxx ones and they will work just fine.
Bring your manual and XL to the LHS with you to save an extra trip.
While your in there I would suggest taking every screw that goes into metal and loctite everything.
Including the pinch bolt on the carb.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Ah! Another infamous 86094 falls out and no rear power anymore! I am surprised taht HPI has yet to addres the 86094 problem
(86094 is that "grub" or setscrew that every Savage owner has fall out on him).

From running Savages, HPI MUST upgrade the tranny output shafsts to use 86095 instead!!!!!
The sorry puny 4mm 86094 is woefully too small to do the task of holding that dogbone cup in place.

HPI, this is my public appeal to you: Upgrade that tranny setscrews to 86095! Our savages have dropped 86094 enough!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
SLAYERDUDE

LOL Thanks Jim.
I was just coming back with my manual to list the 86094 p/n.
M4X2.5 is the threads so if you go to the LHS they should be able to match some up.
It's 12mm long and I think the T-maxx ones are 15mm long but won't hurt anything.
The T-maxx ones are sold in a kit with 2 screws and 2 cups for like $5.

I also went in the female threads with loctite on a toothpick and got loctite on both the male and female threads.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Frontrunner91

Just fixed the same problem on my nephews Savage. I didn't want to do the 60 mile round trip to the LHS so I grabbed a screw from a Duratrax Warhead parts tranny. Looks like About everyone uses similar hardware in this area of the drivetrain.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:07 PM
SAVAGEJIM

86094 fall out SO MUCH that you have to use RED loctite to keep it from coming out. Blue will simply melt off, the heat from the brake pads and brake disc transfer down to the dogbone hex-cup. The blue loctite then simply melts off from tat heat. The result: a dropped 86094.

Another solution that HPI can do and also kill another bird with the same stone is to also mount another brake set in front of the tranny case. That way, only half as much heat is being transferred down to 86094. Going frint and rear brake sets: I am surprised the XL has not done so.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:05 PM
bigwaltc

You know Guys its the first thing we must all do before any thing else new RC or old. You must put Loctite on all screws that thread into metal [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-06-2009, 06:18 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Yea, it's too bad you can't just buy a kit.
That way you don't have to rely on asian children working for 20 hours to make sure your RC is done right.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
SAVAGEJIM

What HPI needs to do is bring manufacturing of the Savage into the US so for one, it is made under US environmental laws, so much less pollution goes into the air, also, under US manufacturing laws, it is made to minimum quality standards, and so forth. But this is another issue.

Right now, I only hope that HPI will redesign the tranny output shafts to become thicker and also to use the 5mm 86095 setscrews. 86094 4mm screws were okay for the .21BB engines, but for the K4.6, F4.6 and the massive K5.9, 86094 has no business being in there anymore.

HPI needs to make an upgraded tranny and other drivetrain components for these massive engines. I do hope that HPI will make a 3speed 2.0 that we can buy that uses 86095 setscews instead of that damn sorry 86094 screw, has all steel gears to take the torque of K5.9 and aftermarket engines, etc. If such a tranny were sold, I would buy one.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 AM
GRADEE

well ive checked that infamous screw. and its still there if im looking at the right one.
as pointed out in the first picture.

in the second picture which the oppisite side of the shaft there is a hole there.
is there supose to be 2 screws?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12141.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1270249   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43040.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1270250  
Old 09-07-2009, 09:55 AM
SAVAGEJIM

No, it is only one 86094 screw.
But looking at the pic, I suggest you take it out all the way and see if the holding shaft was not shorn off. I strongly suspect the holding shaft was torn off and you are only left with the head part of the 86094.

If the holding shaft part of 86094 was torn off, you indeed have to replace it. And that is the reason why the bottom hole loodk empty
Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: GRADEE

well ive checked that infamous screw. and its still there if im looking at the right one.
as pointed out in the first picture.

in the second picture which the oppisite side of the shaft there is a hole there.
is there supose to be 2 screws?
I cant tell if that is dirt or not around the trans but it looks like metal shavings to me like some thing is getting chewed up [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
GRADEE

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

No, it is only one 86094 screw.
But looking at the pic, I suggest you take it out all the way and see if the holding shaft was not shorn off. I strongly suspect the holding shaft was torn off and you are only left with the head part of the 86094.

If the holding shaft part of 86094 was torn off, you indeed have to replace it. And that is the reason why the bottom hole loodk empty
no worries, il check that tonight after work. let you know how i go.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 AM
GRADEE

i pulled 86094 out today and your all right. snapped right in half.
so i just ordered another 12 of them.
glad it wasnt anything more than that. (guess thats to come)

thanks for you help peeps. appreciated.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

HPI, I rest my case. 86094 should NO LONGER be used on the tranny output shafts.
HPI, you must upgrade the tranny shafts to a thicker diameter and use nothing less than the 5mm 86095 setscure to hold that drive cup, especially that rear output shaft since that shaft sees the largest amount of torque during hard launches and all.