Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Exceed fuel tank on Savage

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
xXxCellARatOr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exceed fuel tank on Savage

I was just looking at the review of the Exceed MadBeast on the front page. One thing caught my eye (well..., after i noticed that it is an identical copy of the Savage), the fuel tank on it uses a genius design that would eliminate the half tank lean issue. Has anyone ever tried one of these onto a Savage? Would it be a straight fit? The brackets sure look exactly the same in design. Here are the pics of what im talking about, taken from the review:

Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: Exceed fuel tank on Savage

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9082480/tm.htm
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
xXxCellARatOr

Thanks for that link, didnt find it when i searched for it. But no one really answered the main question in that thread either. Hopefully someone can answer it here. All i really wanna know is if the tank will fit. I wouldnt mind having to drill a slot in the engine plate for the fuel tubing at the bottom, or relocate the tank posts, or even grind off a little of the chassis if need be. But if any major modifications would be necessary, then i wouldnt want to take that approach.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just my opinion.. But I wouldn't want that fuel line hanging down there in the stock location. I'd want in protected for sure. As for how in installs. I'd agree with you, it looks like it should fit. If it doesn't cost all that much, buy it and see if it fits $10-15 isn't all that much to find out you were wrong...... LMAO..... I had to get married to find that out... cost me alot more than $15.. But I'm better now

KID EVIL!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:16 AM
xXxCellARatOr

Hahaha, thats a good one. Yeah, im not too worried about that line. Its way too long in the pictures (stock setup). Ide cut it down to about 1/2 the length and run it through the chassis so it wouldn't be anywhere near the ground. The only point of that line is to equal the fuel on both sides of the tank, it doesnt have to be that long.
But yeah, i might try and get the tank see how that goes. But it would be MUCH easier if someone could just confirm if the tank can be bolted on or not (without heavy modifications).
Old 09-12-2009, 01:31 AM
wolfie1

I think i read the same article as you had the same thought and am wondering the exact same thing too lol
Old 09-12-2009, 11:37 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I personally would never put that sorry chinese clone crap on my Savage. Worse, the Mad Beast (actually, the real name of this RC is Raptor, not Mad Beast) really is not a Savage clone, it is a clone of a clone! RD Logics cloned the Savage and called it Wolverine. Then Nanda cloned the Wolverine! And of course, Exceed buys the Raptor and calls it Mad Beast instead.

My main problem with this tank is also that bottom feeding line is for me a serious concern too. Bad design. I have no clue if the RD Logics Wolverine also, but Nanda's/Exceed's attempt at fixing the half tank lean only raised this new problem. Another problem is plastics quality. This being a clone (a clone of a clone at that), clones are notorious for using inferior plastics. That being said, the tank will take a hit and crack much more easily than the stock tank.

Personally, I would buy a Hayes fuel tank, neatly zip tie that to the side of the TVP where the tank originally sits, and go form there.
You get a larger fual capacity and you also eliminate the half-tank lean. Also, the Hayes tank is a little cheaper than the stock HPI tank, moreover, it is a little more flexible than the stock tank, and can actualy survive a little harder hit than what the stock HPI tank can take.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM
omarb

To SavageJim this is not a clone but Nanda/Schumachers own design. Where I live not many are into are RC but schumacher is pretty common as well HPI, Traxxas and the usual, thing is my buddy has a savage and we both agree that the raptor takes a hell of alot of a beating... the chassis is much more rigid with the huge steel roll bar and that unlike the savages does not break but will break anything it hits... but enuf bout all that the only crappy thing bout this truck is the tank it causes over leaning and also because of that you will constantly find yourself re-tuning it. Rather stick with the smaller tank its easier. And the under pipe will break tear and cut with small stone gravel etc and it's not standard size fuel tube so its pain to get... Will try and fit my tank onto my buddies savage next week when he is aound and will let you guys know if it fits. Also I got and improvised guard on mine to protect the pipe. Cut it from a 2lt juic bottle will post pics if anyone is interested....