Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI Turnaround

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
ham5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Turnaround

I wondered what the turnaround time was at hpi for rma'd stuff

My k4.6 did a number on the piston skirt after 2 gallons. They told me to send it in but I haven't heard anything. It's been 2 weeks now. Anyone have similar experience with hpi? Dont want to nag if i dont have to, but i sure miss my truck hpi

Old 09-12-2009, 07:04 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI Turnaround

When I sent my carb in, I think it was 3 weeks, but definitely not a month.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Buy a new motor and have that one as a spare or sell it and break even.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Give HPI a ring again to make sure somebody didnt drop the ball somewhere. HPI is very fast in turn-around in replacing something.

When I warrantied one of my K4.6 engines, HPI sent me a brand new K4.6 within 2 weeks.
On top of that, the engine was my fault! But the replaced it anyway; best damn customer service if you ask me.
Kudos to you HPI!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:48 PM
ham5

lol a spare... yeah right buddy.

thx for the reply's tho ill give it another week
Old 09-13-2009, 02:14 AM
wolfie1

Im in the uk and use Hpi europe but i imagine they would all be pretty much the same but Hpi are brilliant at warrantying stuff ive had 2 5.9 engines from them and a couple of other things usually i get my stuff back in a couple of weeks. If only more companys were like this but yea i would also give then a call just to check up on things, i mean you paid good money for something that has gone wrong you def wouldnt be a pain to them to call and find out, folk get paid for taking to you on the phone
Old 09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Hpi gets 5 stars in my book.
Excellent customer service!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 PM
ham5

I called today. They said it was done the 9th, they will send it out today. we'll see
Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 PM
automan_1954

If I was you, I would have asked them to just send you the parts, thats what I did, they sent me a crankcase with bearings, a crankshaft, a piston, rod and sleeve set when my F4.1 craped out after less than a gallon of fuel. Two gallon is not to bad but if you follow these break in steps you should be able to run 4 to 5 gallon thru ur engine. First heat the engine with a hair dryer until its 100-120 degrees and run it at factory carb settings(rich) for 3 tanks full. run the engine until it gets to around 180 degrees then shut it down, put the piston at the bottom of its stroke,let it cool down to room temp and do it all over again. HEAT, START AND RUN, SHUT DOWN AT 180 DEGREES, BOTTOM THE PISTON AND COOL. Do this for 3 tanks full, then run at no more than half throttle for 2 tanks full shuting down after no more than 10 minutes of run time.(again around 180 degrees). It may seam like a long time for a break in, but the whole reason for breaking in the engine this way is so the engines will last twice as long, the piston and sleeve can mate and season the metal(hard to explain, but metalurgy is involved) It will create a smoother, harder surface, the pinch zone at the top of the sleeve will last longer which means the engine will have more compression for a longer period of time. Over the past 20 years engines and fuels have both been made better and where you would be lucky for an engine to last for 2 gallons, now you can get them to last thru 4 or 5 gallons with the right break in, tune, fuel and maintenance
Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 AM
SLAYERDUDE

I've never used the heat cycle method yet but I thought the temp to hit for the metal to get up to was 200F-220F.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

I've never used the heat cycle method yet but I thought the temp to hit for the metal to get up to was 200F-220F.
Yep, over 200F for proper expansion. No wonder his engines only last 4 - 5 gallons. I had 12 gallons on my cheap RTR S-25 when it broke in half, and the engine still had some mechanical pinch.

I'd also like to know what metallurgy is involved in "seasoning" the metal. He probably means stress relieving, which can be beneficial for cast pistons in RTR junk, but won't have much of an effect on machined billet pistons in better quality engines.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 AM
ham5

break in?? whats that??
Old 09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
SLAYERDUDE

For the record I did the break in of my K5.9 with the HPI book method in a garage on a stand because it was raining.
I think my temps only got to about 180F and I am on gallon #7...
She still ripps.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE
For the record I did the break in of my K5.9 with the HPI book method in a garage on a stand because it was raining.
I think my temps only got to about 180F and I am on gallon #7...
7 gallons on an engine that uses fuel as quickly as the 5.9 isn't really impressive. That engine has very bad fuel efficiency, a good .28 will use fuel at a much lower rate, and make more power in the process.

She still ripps.
I haven't seen a 5.9 that rips.