Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What engine for savage x ss

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 PM
zjjeep97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine for savage x ss

I have the savage x 4.6 ss and i want to replace the engine with the most powerful engine available.
I was looking at....... LRP z30 , OS 30VG , Axial 32 , HPI 5.9
What you guys think...
Thank you.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What engine for savage x ss

LRP 30, you won't hear anything different with a dynamite or ofna 053 pipe, but if you want the most powerful in that price range you're gunna hear picco .28 with a 086 and an Al clutch

the lug
Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 PM
zjjeep97

How about Ofna Force .32, Is it as good ?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 PM
bigwaltc

If you want all out power Picco .28 [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

LRP 30, end of story.

ThunderbirdJunkie's Mach 427 outpowers all of the engines you listed, apart from the LRP, fine sir.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: bigwaltc

If you want all out power Picco .28 [sm=shades_smile.gif]
X2

+ 086 pipe
Old 10-01-2009, 02:54 AM
BudBud

X3 ... the Picco 28 set up properly has no equal in a pull start engine. Even NovaRossi at a much higher price cannot touch a properly tuned Picco 28 on an 086 pipe. If you want great power and easy to live with, LRP 30 with an 053. It will never have the top speeds you will see with a Picco 28, but it is a very respectable powerhouse, especailly in the Savage chassis. Glen
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM
zjjeep97

It seems to me that the LRP z30 out performs the Picco 28 (hp & torque)
How about the other big blocks (.30>up)
Bottom line is ,I need an engine that is going to kill the MGT 8.0 low & high end

Thank you guys
Old 10-01-2009, 07:29 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: zjjeep97

It seems to me that the LRP z30 out performs the Picco 28 (hp & torque)
How about the other big blocks (.30>up)
Bottom line is ,I need an engine that is going to kill the MGT 8.0 low & high end

Thank you guys
You must have never had a Picco [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 PM
BudBud

If you did, you never had it set up properly. They can have carburetor issues and are really sensitive to small intake leaks, but if you ever get a Picco 28 right, nothing in the pull start world compares. I am a die hard Picco guy, I do not mind messing with them, I think the power and rpm is worth the extra hassle and a problem Picco can be a royal pain in the butt.

If you are looking for a strong running engine, the LRP 30 is great. Even the LRP 28.

The Force 32 never really caught on, I never had one, but have run with them. They were smooth and flat torque wise, but no speedsters.

The OS 30 is a very nice engine, but the sleeve lining is known to flake and they have no rpm. They are a torque factory, easy to start and a real pleasure to tune.

If you get lucky and snag a good STS 30 or 28, they are real screamers. Unfortunately, they have been known to scream the rod right through the bottom of the case.

The guys are giving you good advice. You also mentioned the Axial 32, it will not touch a LRP 28 or 30 or Picco 27 or Picco 28. The Axial 32 is just a bigger brother to the Hpi K4.6 or a smaller brother to the K5.9. I have a modified K5.9 that is exceptional, but to duplicate it would cost 600 dollars or more.

Snag a LRP 30, get good at tuning, then next time, grab a Picco 28. By then, there may be some new horse on the block. For the dollars, an LRP 30, LRP 28, SH 28 is hard to beat.

If you want the fastest, snag a Picco, but they are not the easiest thing on God's Green Earth to live wth.

In case you were wondering, the Axial 28 is the same engine as the Hpi K4.6. An engine I have heard some good reviews from is the Axial 28 RR and now they are offering a 32 RR. It is the same Kingstar family though and they have a long history of piston, carburetor and bearing issues. Glen
Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: BudBud

If you did, you never had it set up properly. They can have carburetor issues and are really sensitive to small intake leaks, but if you ever get a Picco 28 right, nothing in the pull start world compares. I am a die hard Picco guy, I do not mind messing with them, I think the power and rpm is worth the extra hassle and a problem Picco can be a royal pain in the butt.

If you are looking for a strong running engine, the LRP 30 is great. Even the LRP 28.

The Force 32 never really caught on, I never had one, but have run with them. They were smooth and flat torque wise, but no speedsters.

The OS 30 is a very nice engine, but the sleeve lining is known to flake and they have no rpm. They are a torque factory, easy to start and a real pleasure to tune.

If you get lucky and snag a good STS 30 or 28, they are real screamers. Unfortunately, they have been known to scream the rod right through the bottom of the case.

The guys are giving you good advice. You also mentioned the Axial 32, it will not touch a LRP 28 or 30 or Picco 27 or Picco 28. The Axial 32 is just a bigger brother to the Hpi K4.6 or a smaller brother to the K5.9. I have a modified K5.9 that is exceptional, but to duplicate it would cost 600 dollars or more.

Snag a LRP 30, get good at tuning, then next time, grab a Picco 28. By then, there may be some new horse on the block. For the dollars, an LRP 30, LRP 28, SH 28 is hard to beat.

If you want the fastest, snag a Picco, but they are not the easiest thing on God's Green Earth to live wth.

In case you were wondering, the Axial 28 is the same engine as the Hpi K4.6. An engine I have heard some good reviews from is the Axial 28 RR and now they are offering a 32 RR. It is the same Kingstar family though and they have a long history of piston, carburetor and bearing issues. Glen
Glen its good to have you back!!! [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 10-01-2009, 08:15 PM
zjjeep97

Thanks for the advise BudBud .....
Now im torn between the LRP z30 & Picco 28
Old 10-01-2009, 08:45 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: BudBud
I have to agree to the Carb issues this is after sealing it and wrapping the mid needle with plumbers tape, when priming it i saw feul leaking out of both the carb neck and the needle [X(], i'm not going to be getting anything from kingstar after this mill, i'm gunna try sealing it up again, and if that doesn't do it, i'm getting a new mill...

the lug
Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 PM
zjjeep97

Can someone give me the part #s for LRP Z30 & Picco 28 please?
Thank you....
Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 PM
rclugnut10

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXDA0&P=SM lrp 30

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMCA4&P=ML picco

the lug
Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 PM
zjjeep97

I love to see a race between an Lrp 30 & picco 28 ,It would make my choice so much easier .
Thanks ....
Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 PM
zjjeep97

I think i'm gone go with the Picco 28.....
Now what else do i need to make it work on my savage?
Thank you.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:36 PM
FRENCHBLUE72

Id run a picco but have 2 axials a .28 and .32 both are easy engines to tune and run. I am looking for a picco though to replace the axial in my savage....
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: zjjeep97

I love to see a race between an Lrp 30 & picco 28 ,It would make my choice so much easier .
Thanks ....
You would be surprised, the LRP 30 will wheelie more, it does not blow the tires away like the Picco does. The 30 might even get the hole shot and make life miserable for the Picco for a little ways. Party is over when it comes to top end though. We have run them side by side many times and the top end is a no brainer. For reference though, here is a stock Picco 28 in an X with an 086 pipe. It does have XL differentials. As you can see in the video, wide open acceleration almost always amounts to doing wheelies over the wheelie bar. It is a fun combination, but you cannot just grab a hand full of throttle and have it stay tires down. You have to drive that one, ease into the throttle.... It also pushes the truck beyond its limits of stability. Picco 28s are kind of overkill in the X, they work excellent in the XL chassis though. Glen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3VAeFc7_uw