Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

if I have to take my tranny out again I'm gona scream 3 speed ? again

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

if I have to take my tranny out again I'm gona scream 3 speed ? again

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:25 AM
kihei11
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if I have to take my tranny out again I'm gona scream 3 speed ? again

Well I put in a new clutch holder and finally Got a 1-2 shift but where's the 3rd gearshift? Could someone please link to hpi instructions or tell me how to adjust the 3 speed? I've spent 2hrs looking for an answer and really look up to you savage gurus. I got a little used perfect savage 21 for 145 shipped and it started fine I bought a used 3 speed.
and am clueless as to the 2-3 shift and how to adjust it. Thanks, Randy
Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: if I have to take my tranny out again I'm gona scream 3 speed ? again

The 2-3 shift is easy.. - you do it from the side like the normal 1-2 shift for a 2-speed.. The PIA is the 1-2 shift which requires taking the tranny apart... Maybe you don't have an X gearbox or something?..
Old 10-10-2009, 03:21 AM
bigwaltc

Default RE: if I have to take my tranny out again I'm gona scream 3 speed ? again

Even that it is a 2 speed in the video you adjust the 3 speed exactly the same way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zecBSAmZEqc [sm=shades_smile.gif]
1-2 adjustment for the 2 speed 2-3 adjustment for the 3 speed
Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 PM
BudBud

I used to think the three speed was worth the hassle. After all of my transmission issues with the three speeds, I have decided that a two speed is great. I like big power though and that may be my issue. The two speed gives me all the wheelies I can stand and I have no trouble pushing the Savage past its upper stability point speed wise. I like a properly shifting three speed, I just do not like the way they keep breaking. Big engine, Terra Pins and a 16/49 or 16/52 gear. That works great for me! On shorter tires, I like the stock 17/47 or a 18/47... maybe even an 18/46..
Old 10-10-2009, 07:25 PM
-SomeGuy-

Im with BB on this. Hearing it shift twice has worn off for me, I much prefer the easy adjustment and extra durability of the two speed. 10% more on top end and bottom end isint worth it IMHO.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM
kihei11
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks for all your help guys, I guess it is the sound of that 3rd gear it's just now wearing off on me too, now that I finnally got it to shift. with a 21 I can see keeping it. but in hind site it doesn't seem faster than the 2 speed. If any one needs a break down of this trans page 33 of the XL manual on HPI's Website.
probably go back to a 2 speed when I power up to a 28 or 30
Old 10-11-2009, 02:43 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In some ways though a 3-speed CAN make sense.. If you run a mid or lower-power engine, you can make up for the lack of power, without destroying drivetrain parts like you do with more powerful engines..

And I like the sound of the two shifts..

I never ran my Axial 28 with a 2-speed, but with the 3-speed I was plenty happy with the speed.. And with the Axial 28RR and 3-speed it was even faster.. Same with a Mach 427 - with a 3-speed - I could've hung with most speed-wise..

A stock Savage LE RTR back in the day could hang pretty well I think with 2-speed Savages with 28's...