Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI Nitro Monster king... speak up!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Nesal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Nitro Monster king... speak up!!

Hey where are all the users for the HPI nitro monster king?! I have only seen one non hpi video on youtube and have only seen one thread on here... anybody got one??!! Let us know!!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 PM
montesupra

Default RE: HPI Nitro Monster king... speak up!!

^+1
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
montesupra

O well,I guess nobody is intrested in this truck.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Brandon4164
My Feedback: (1)

hmm i looked at this truck it seems right for me but will savage bodies fit on it?
Old 11-07-2009, 01:52 PM
mudtrucker

Nope, savage bodies are to long. Funny thing is, HPI says the Monster King is a 1/12 scale but its bigger than some 1/10th scale trucks I have. I'll show some pics of it next to my Nitro Stampede. My mods on this truck so far are a HPI MX-1 Body, removed the bumper on the front axle, raised the main front bumper, removed the wheelie bar, trimmed the exhaust tip back and flipped it, removed the rear swaybar, Integy Piggyback shocks, RC4WD's Axles Ends for the rear axle to delete the spindles and steering linkage. It's deffinately a solid truck, I run her hard. After a gallon of fuel I needed to get rid of the cheap roller bearings in the clutch with the nylon cage because of a melt down, so I upgraded to Acer Racing standard style ball bearings. But last weekend I tore the ring and pinion up in the rear axle. Keep in mind its a SAS truck so it's not going to cutt corners and handle perfect, but it is a blast to bash with. Anyways I'm done rambling on, gonna take a sip of my beer here and post some pics for ya, enjoy!

If the images are to big let me know, I'll downsize them.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:40 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a nice ride man, good taste. [8D]
Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Nesal

Cool man thanks for sharing, got any vids?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:49 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How does that nitro king handle? is it tippy at all? Looks like it sits up quite high, is it fairly unstable on corners at speed?

Also... off topic... how would you say that your stampede compares to a nitro rustler. I have a rustler and love it on the street. Grass not so much...... wish it had 4x4.

KID EVIL!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 PM
mudtrucker

No vids yet, will get some. Also yea she's a little tippy, it's straight axled so it's got a rough ride. Also to answer the stampede/rustler question I believe they're pretty much the same truck but the rustler will handle better while the stampede is more friendly in rougher terrain. Both great trucks
Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
montesupra

Cool truck mudtrucker,I looked everywhere for pics/vids of the nitro king.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
K Nine

sweet truck im new to the site looks good i have a savage xl i love it im n the process of installing masive hop ups but i need some help on some brands for hop ups i've been into rc cars and trucks now about 4years i allso have a manace 21 and a electrick rustler
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I really like the looks of this truck. Looks like it would be a lot of fun to drive.

Why doesent HPI run the V-Tread tires all the way around though?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:27 AM
mudtrucker

Yea I ended up putting the V-tread on all 4. The stock FRONT tires are a joke, they are half really thin rubber a stick or rock could tear threw and the other half is hard plastic like a powerwheels your kid would ride. I assume HPI put them on to help with oversteer and to keep it from rolling at higher speeds from cornering or abrupt steering.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Yeah i thought they looked lke junk to me! haha I know they would have to go if i got one.

I bet you are right. The probably did it so that you cant flip it easily by turning it hard. Thats just the nature of the best with a solid axle high riding 4wd though, so they should have put the same tires all around like you have.

Nice truck by the way! I want to see some good video of one of these trucks[8D]
Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Bluebrew

I like weird and offbeat stuff so I got one of these things. At first lookover I thought to myself, "I'm gonna bust this thing in about 10 minutes". Turns out It's alot tougher than it looks. The plastics used in critical areas REALLY gives a lot of forgiveness. I didn't know if I'd like this truck so I waited to get a receiver pack and just used alkalines. Being unfamiliar with running alkys I had the truck run away on me when the juice just all of the sudden quit! At nearly WOT it glazed the side off the garage, bounced off and got a good run square into a house, then into a tree, then into a cut cornfield where it got rolled and snagged! NO DAMAGE AT ALL!!! Pic below is after this incident.
So I got a Rx pack and some new wheels and tires. Before installing that stuff, I too clipped the tailpipe and decided to gut the front end of diff, pinion and axles figuring to save some weight up front, and not have the front sap power from the rear. After all, the electric one is 2WD is'nt it? Worked out pretty good, wheelies are much better, steers MUCH better and even looks a little better IMO.
Trade-off(always is at least one) was the tires are a little taller, so it's a little tippier, but the improved steering helps with that.

All in all, I like the little bugger, It only does one thing, but it does it well!

EDIT: After the runaway 3 of the shocks leaked, and soon after all were. I noticed madtrucker replaced his. I wonder if ths is common?
I have 16 Savage shocks that appear simillar, just bigger and none of them have ever leaked. Thin oil?.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41266.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1333448  
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
rclugnut10

the orginal electric was 2wd they now only sell the 4wd cuz when they were selling both i assume everyone bit the bullit and spent the extra $10-15 for 4wd...

the lug
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Bluebrew

Ok, that makes sense. I watched the HPI DVD that came with it and saw all the crawler upgades for the electic model. I knew very little about the WK but noticed it was 2WD in the vids. Made me wonder why HPI would market the nitro as 4WD and the electic as 2WD. My guess was so they could call it a "monster" truck. Hardly anyone will convert the nitro to a crawler. This is NO MT! I went as far as removing the OE stickers because it's a wheely machine and that's it.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:57 PM
sreteP

I love this truck! I've had it for a good month now. It's going to be fun to modify. =)

I've uploaded some pictures of it so far, and a quick video of it on some ice. Hope you all enjoy. =)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTSKzgmYioQ[/youtube]
Old 12-25-2009, 03:27 PM
K Nine

sweet heres my savagexl 5.9

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33558.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1341671  
Old 12-25-2009, 03:29 PM
sreteP

Don't want to piss on your fire mate, but I think this is just a Nitro King thread. Cool Savage though.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:31 PM
K Nine

cool dude
Old 12-31-2009, 04:55 AM
sreteP

I've just ordered some servo mounts, to mount servo's on the axles and make it 4 wheel steer, my goal isn't speed with this, but realistic monster truck jumping. I'll post some videos of it when its modified more and jumping again, right now its stripped ready for the bits.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:45 AM
boutrous420

Can anyine help me out? Fairly new to the RC world. I just got a 1/10 Nitro King, not the 1/12. What hop ups fit this. Are they the same as the 1/12 Wheelie King? Thanks in advance for any help. Cool basher, a bit tippy with tonka tires on the front , havent changed them yet. Fun as hell to wheelie this thing across a soccer field.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:38 AM
jsflagstad

So is this "Monster King" new and just a nitro version of the Wheely king? How much is it? Must be cheaper, or why wouldn't you just buy a Savage???
Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 PM
hunternaf

just ordered one and subsribed to this thread cmon ups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.