Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Which fuel for nitro star .25?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
kurtf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which fuel for nitro star .25?

Last summer i had problems with my Savage engine.
Its still pretty new with good compression, though like most Savages it does get half tank lean.
Im running 25% odonnell fuel in it (though quite old fuel now). When tuning it last year i would fine tune it so it ran really well, then without any warning it would die at about half a tank. Would fire straight up again though but its still very annoying.
Also when screaming down the road in 3rd gear (its the limited edition model with 3 speed as stock) when its been in 3rd gear and at full speed it makes a gargling sound like its starving of fuel because its too lean, but no matter how i tune it thats how it sounds. Is it just because i have a rubber exhaust deflector on it or is that just how it is?
Just seems like a difficult engine to tune, the one on my Swift 2 buggy and TS4N were so much easier in comparison.

Also which % fuel should i use? I find 20% too oily for my cars particularly the Savage again, and as my 25% Odonnell is old (about 4 years old actually) and is discontinued in the UK, is it safe to run 30% or not?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM
fxrs

Default RE: Which fuel for nitro star .25?

As you go up in nitro percentage as in 25 percent or 30 percent you sould go to
a cooler plug. I Have the limited edition also. The nitrostar in it has been ported
and polished. I had to switch to a cooler plug. I run an HPI R5 and it
runs fine.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 AM
kurtf5

Oh i thought the nitro star in the LE was stock like on a normal Savage.
What does ported mean? And i run a cool plug anyway, but is 30% ok for nitro engines in general or is it too much?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
BudBud

I have been running basically Byron's 30 Gen 2 Race fuel ever since it first came out. It is awesome stuff and I run it in everything 21 through 36. It is a lower oil content, but a lot higher quality synthetic lube. I will also buy O'Donnell's Race 30 and when the fuel shortage was on I burned a lot of Trinity 30 and 35. Last year I burned about 16 gallons of fuel, mostly Trinity. Glen
Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM
fxrs

ORIGINAL: kurtf5

Oh i thought the nitro star in the LE was stock like on a normal Savage.
What does ported mean? And i run a cool plug anyway, but is 30% ok for nitro engines in general or is it too much?
Sorry about that. The engine was stock like yours but I
did the work to it following an artical I read in an RC mag.
I run Byrons 30 percent and have for many gallons.
Still runs great.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:18 AM
bigwaltc

If you cant tune the lean out you have a air leak some place seal up your engine [sm=shades_smile.gif]