Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

rebuilding a 5.9?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM
richardtf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding a 5.9?

is there a step by on how to rebuild a 5.9 engine?

thanks...
Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: rebuilding a 5.9?

Throw it in the trash and buy a LRP or Picco
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 AM
etopsflight

have you got the intruction manual? if not, download from HPI website. it's the reverse to disassembly.

things to watch out for are replace old gaskets if required to stop air leaks. if you need additional hi temp sealant the for sure. dun overtighten the screws and make sure the piston faces the correct way, cutout facing forwards on assembly. makes sure you oil the bearings and the pistion before sliding into sleeve.

cheers

etops
Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

Throw it in the trash and buy a LRP or Picco
Dammit I was going to say that
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
BudBud

A piston and sleeve should do you just fine. I have one with about 12 gallons on it and as much as I hate the Kingstar line, that crank is still good. I had Supertib mod it and he said it was much softer and easier to cut than a Picco. Maybe, but it is holding up great so far. It has lived primarily on 30 percent Byrons Gen 2 Race Fuel, along with some quarts of Trinity 35 percent Monster Horsepower.

I agree though, apply the money towards an LRP 30 or Picco 28. Just last night I had another K5.9 owner I met through You Tube with a broken piston. The photo he sent me are all too familiar... It sucks, but that is the way it is... Glen
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: BudBud

A piston and sleeve should do you just fine. I have one with about 12 gallons on it and as much as I hate the Kingstar line, that crank is still good. I had Supertib mod it and he said it was much softer and easier to cut than a Picco. Maybe, but it is holding up great so far. It has lived primarily on 30 percent Byrons Gen 2 Race Fuel, along with some quarts of Trinity 35 percent Monster Horsepower.

I agree though, apply the money towards an LRP 30 or Picco 28. Just last night I had another K5.9 owner I met through You Tube with a broken piston. The photo he sent me are all too familiar... It sucks, but that is the way it is... Glen

maybe i'll just gonna get an lrp.30 and rebuild the 5.9 as a spare engine hey is it okay to reuse the old gasket? this is my first time rebuilding an engine,what do you use to clean the internal and external part of the engine?

thanks