Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Need Help Starting My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
xBiGxPx
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Starting My Truck

To start off yes this is my first rc truck, just got it in the mail yesterday, today i set everything up charge the batteries and take it outside to start it.

I put fuel in it tried to prime it still see a couple bubbles of air but how much priming do i need to do, all setting are factory that i know of first couple cranks got lots of compression but i just wouldnt start then it flooded i unflooded it but still couldnt start it, when i try to start it the roto start wont turn? Please need some help dont know to much just wanting to learn any help is appreciative thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Default RE: Need Help Starting My Truck

These trucks are set very rich from the factory. You might have to lean it just a little to start it. Prime the engine just enough to see the fuel make it to the carb. When the roto-start locks up and wont turn(red button pops out) that means the engine is flooded. Take the glowplug out and turn over the rotostart to get the excess fuel out and then try again with the glow plug in. Make sure your igniter is fully charged.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 PM
xBiGxPx

My glow plug ignitor just has a battery in it, rotostart is fully charged just sometimes the engine locks up but how if its not flooded?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:11 PM
etopsflight

if the above does not help.

take the glowplug out and turn the engine by hand. if it does not turn, your new engine's pinch at top dead centre (TDC) is tight. install the glow plug and heat the engine up with hair dryer till the sleeve expands allowing the piston to move more freely.

if it still does not start but it is better, then loosen the plug a little during start and then tighten when she is up and running.

use the heat cycle method to break-in engine to ensure you get good engine temps to ease your engine into life!

cheers

etops
Old 02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
xBiGxPx

Just enstalled new glow plus tried starting it but all i hear is like some loud metal on metal sound,there is a little compression but theres gas coming out the top of the engine?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:27 PM
sharkattack99

like etops said, use a blow dryer or heat gun to warm the engine up for the first few starts, helps alot, you may have to lean out the lsn and hsn just a little bit like 1/4 a turn , i had the same problem with my lrp 28 had to do that just a little have to blisters on the first and second finger to provie it, lol.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
xBiGxPx

Heated up the engine with blow dryer,stuck glow ignitor on glow plug the tried turning over engine gets get compression just wont turn over like i said my glow ignitor does just have a C battery could that be the problem?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:56 PM
sharkattack99

well to test the ignitor take out the glow plug or use a spare one, touch the glow plug to the ignitor and see if the coils on the glow plug light up if not glow ignitor might need a new battery or charged.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Won't turn over?

1/ Flooded.....and flooding can be difficult to fix.....good info above on turning it upside down

2/ Roto-start battery needs charging....note that it may turn the engine over with a low battery with the plug out, but not when the plug is in.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:09 PM
xBiGxPx

it shouldnt be the glow plug or starter both are new and with a new battery. Guy from local hobby shop told me to pump the glow ignitor till it gets the glow plug hott but its not working just only hott from blow dryer, Thinking this has to be the issue due to motor having good compression just not starting.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:26 PM
wolfie1

i also reckon its flooded, prob the best way to get it going is to slacken the glow plug 1/4 turn then try starting it then obviously tighten it again
Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 PM
xBiGxPx

Engine is not flooded, going back to factory settings then go from there,or just planning on taking it to LHS and see what they say.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
dapro

Are you putting the glow ignitor on and leaving it? You need to if not. No pumping of the ignitor, and the ignitor doesn't heat the inside of the motor like a blow dryer can.

To prime the motor you need to watch the fuel line that enters the carb, plug the muffler tip with your finger and use the roto-start, stop after you see fuel enter the carb.......its primed now

make sure the ignitor is on and use the roto-start, you might have to bump the throttle to get it going.

All glow ignitors have batteries in them, AA, C, D, regular or rechargable doesn't matter, put a plug up to it and see if it glows, if the coil glows dim then change or charge the battery

Initial break in is rough on glow plugs, and just cause its new doesn't mean its not defective, you will learn that with R/C
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 PM
etopsflight

yeah, you need to do alot of background reading and when it comes time to crank her up, you need to be systematic, methodical and almost biblical in your approach.

when things dun go to plan, that's when the background reading comes in handy. think twice before you do anything rash otherwise that will mean downtime and a visit to the LHS!

good luck........
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

man!!!  my first truck will be here in a few days.  hope it will start!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
dapro

Looks like you have 5 days to prep, I haven't purchased a single RTR that didn't fire right away, but I also pull the motor and flush it out, then seal it, then I go over the entire truck and double check everything....you get to know the vehicle while its clean...

Wife doesn't mind me playing with the truck inside the house if its New
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
etopsflight

@rooker

good advice from dapro - strip the engine down annd flush the crud out of it, seal it and fire her up!

time spent with good preparation will save you heartache in the long-term.

i hate the term RTR, it's never ready to run out of the box unless you are trigger-happy!

cheers

etops
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 AM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

thanks dapro, I will look over it good
Old 02-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Savian

Dont know if your issue is resolved yet. Here is what I would do:

1) Turn out the glow plug completely and test with ignitor
2) Leave glow plug out, put a cloth over the heat sink and turn the engine with the roto start. This will remove excess fuel.
3) Install new glow plug
4) With transmitter and receiver off put fuel in tank and prime.
5) Now, turn the servo throttle arm to 25% manually (acceleration, not brake. In other words towards the engine and not away from the engine)
5) Start the Savage.

Cheers
Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 PM
xBiGxPx

Thank guys for all the help, got it started and running today and enjoyed every minute of it until my batterys dies and i ran out of gas.