Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Broken Axles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 PM
llkoolskillet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Axles!

Today was finally an awesome day to run. I installed the maximizer posi with super HD ring and pinion gears on the rear today. WOW, what a huge differance it makes! Now, i have a really stiff suspension and i think im going to have to loosen it up a lil bit. I broke 4 axles today, mind you there the stock X axles. I do have the HD XL ones in the front. I bought 4 HD XL axles off ebay for $6.50, haha now i have to wait for them to arrive to run again. The first axle broke off a jump, totally heard it snap. Second axle broke while i tried to drive over a 5in rock, heard that one snap too. the last 2 broke at the exact same time doing donuts! Im so stoked, and shocked that this happend. Shows the power of the LRP 30 and the posi. Next im ordering the bullet proof ring and pinions and an ABmods Picco P3 for my savage X. I love this truck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68817.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	1388180  
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM
llkoolskillet

Default RE: Broken Axles!

oops to big!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 PM
absolutemayhem

time for an upgrade
Old 02-28-2010, 05:15 AM
kirkbride

Jesus, you must of done a good job to brake all 4 niceone
Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You MT guys are hardcore..... Your trucks snaps four axles and your happy about !!!! If a racers buggy or Truggy snapped 4 axles in one day the machine would be on Ebay the next day........!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Locking your differentials will do that because while turning or landing from jumps, there is no give to either side of the differential, so something has to give. Keep an eye on the actual differentials, axles, dogbones, center cups, center dogbones and transmission if you plan on keeping your set-up like this. You can always put some 100k silicone oil in the differentials to give it close to a locker that would still have some give to it.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Bayer-Z28

Jeebus! I thought having 4 bent axles and 2 bent DS's on the truck was bad.. BROKEN? All 4?!  yeah, You did a good job on those! :hehe:  Not too expensive for new ones tho.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
llkoolskillet

I broke all 4 of them while they were in the rear end. I only have the posi in the rear. I bought 4 new XL axles off ebay for $6.50 and i bought two sets of HD axles off the hotbodies sale. Now i have the ABmods picco p3 on the way. Time to bulletproof the diffs!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:54 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

The Xl axles will start to bend sooner or later, it will just take longer for them to give since they are stronger.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
CR500rider

all the axels i ever broke on my savage broke in the exact same place where it get smaller near the end. almost like hpi did it on purpose so they would break. inever broke any for the first year and then they just started breaking right and left. probably went through 10 of those things. the savage SS hardened dogbones were no stronger
Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

The black bones have some flex to them while the chrome bones just SNAP. They are supposedly stronger, but come stress time, they just go without notice.