Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

savage xl and drivetrain or clutch slip problem ( Help)

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage xl and drivetrain or clutch slip problem ( Help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:43 PM
gazzazh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage xl and drivetrain or clutch slip problem ( Help)

Hi All, I got my Savage yesterday, made the break-in today , on my 7 tank i was doing full throttle to engage the second and third gear, engine temp was at 230 Fahrenheit and all was well, then the car started to rev on high throttle but would not move and then suddenly booms forwards as if its slipping from the first gear .. any suggestions please.. i then made the low speed needle a bit rich and the symptoms were gone, and it was back to normal, but i don't know if this solved the problem and what should i investigate or look for ? your help please
Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
wolfie1

Default RE: savage xl and drivetrain or clutch slip problem ( Help)

check to see if your slipper pad has come slack that is quite a common thing
Old 03-07-2010, 03:05 AM
gazzazh

hi, WHERE IS THE SLIPPER PAD .. THANKS
Old 03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
sharkattack99

its behind the spur gear.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Rockabilly Basher

I just finished fixing that problem - it's the one way bearing in the transmission gear stack. The bearing is supposed to have no grease on it, but sometimes it gets grease on it from the workers assembling the transmission. (I hate RTR vehicles for this very reason.) In your manual, page 51, it is part number 86362. This is also shown on page 33.

Simply remove the bearing from the tranny stack and soak/flush with de-natured alcahol. I also used a q-tip soaked with DA. After about 10 minutes of soaking and washing with DA it should be fine. I had to do it twice to get all of the grease. This info came from HPI - they state the bearing should not be greased at all and any lube will make it stick.

On a similar note - your one way bearing for the roto start (in the motor) will gum up as well if you don't clear the motor properly after running. This will make the motor not spin when trying to start.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 AM
gazzazh

Hi Rockabilly Basher , 

You are 100 percent right, i did find a lot of oil in OWB in the transmission stack : ) 

But as for the OWB inside the motor, behind the backplate ... do you have any idea where is that found in the manual and what part.. i mean i tried to find it in the exploded view of the engine but could neither find the OWB or the part number ... Thanks 

Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Rockabilly Basher

gazzazh

Page 39, part # 15294.  I learned the hard way that you don't need to take the back plate off and remove this OWB to get it cleaned, although that is what HPI said to do.  I took a hint from another post about after run cleaning, and it has worked well so far with no slipping of the roto start.

When done running, make sure the engine runs out of fuel.  If I still have fuel in the tank, I remove the hose from the carburetor and put it in the top of the fuel tank so when I cycle the motor fuel doesn't pump out everywhere.  (another lesson I learned the hard way.)

Remove the glo plug and air filter fitting at the carburetor.

Spray a second of WD-40 into the top of the cylinder through the glo plug hole.

Spray a second of WD-40 into the carburetor with the throttle in the open position.

Use roto start to spin the motor 5 to 10 seconds.

Repeat the sequence again.

Reinstall the glo plug and air filter and you are ready to run whenever.

I'm sure someone else might have other ideas about how to keep this bearing clean, but this works for me and I don't have to open the motor.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 AM
gazzazh

is this works,, I would not know how to thank you enough, the idea of removing the engine and my truck is still brand new is not very appealing. 
I will try these steps and let you know the outcome. I have read many threads about this matter, but never heard of your method before, its simply great.. I will keep u updated. One last thing, will WD-40 hurt the engine in any way ?

Cheers

Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Rockabilly Basher

I don't know of any way it will hurt the motor - you are just cleaning it and keeping it in a ready state. The only thing I've found that you might need to look out for is overspray on the rest of the car.

Let me know how it goes.