Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Roto Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 PM
xBiGxPx
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roto Starter

Well to start off with i got my savage x tuned finally and was having a hell of a time for about 10 minutes till i gave my truck a rest. Then my roto start just dies charged my batterys but still no power ***?

Figured i could just get a pull start, any opinions on that and what all do i have to buy to switch over to pull start? Or is it even worth it?

Any help on my roto start or a new pull start will be appreciated thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:28 PM
llkoolskillet

Default RE: Roto Starter

This may sound silly but theres a button on the side of the roto start that pops out when the starter jams. Press it back in and see if that cures it. Id stay with roto start, i hate pull start!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not uncommon for the battery connector to not insert all the way, even though you think it is. Maybe double check that.

Overall, it's a simple device...a motor, switch, battery and a few gears, so you should be able to take it apart and fix it easily.

One thing to watch for is operating for too long. HPI says 5 seconds and then a rest. Turns out the electric motor has a number of internal parts soldered together. It doesn't take much heat for this solder to melt. Happened to me.

The switch can be wonky, but the usual problem is for them to stick "ON" vs staying an open circuit.

(could your spare battery be dead?...sorry, but I had to ask......)

Edit: on the last comment...my mistake...I thought your OP said "changed batteries: instead of "charged batteries"
Old 03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

This may sound silly but theres a button on the side of the roto start that pops out when the starter jams. Press it back in and see if that cures it. Id stay with roto start, i hate pull start!
Hey, mine doesn't have that...must be something with the new version?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:12 PM
BudBud

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHPP9]Duratrax roto starter[/link] is the one I use. Make sure to buy the one with the dual batteries. I have been using mine for years and it was used when I got it. I gave away a pile of the stock Hpi rotostarters through the forums. Glen
Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 PM
head_hunter

My kid broke the stock roto-starter about three months after I bought my savage. Since then I have ran pull starters, but they are a real pain if the truck isn't starting easy. Plus after about 5 minutes of pulling on one you get pissed and pull too hard then the rope comes out and your screwed. So for the last 2 years I have used a dewalt 14 volt cordless drill in reverse. Black and decker makes a cheaper one that will do the same. Plus having a drill with you cuts down on repair time. Just make sure you set the torque adjustment so it won't strip threads. I will never use another "roto starter" take to long to charge, die to fast, and can't be used for anything else.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: xBiGxPx

Well to start off with i got my savage x tuned finally and was having a hell of a time for about 10 minutes till i gave my truck a rest. Then my roto start just dies charged my batterys but still no power ***?

Figured i could just get a pull start, any opinions on that and what all do i have to buy to switch over to pull start? Or is it even worth it?

Any help on my roto start or a new pull start will be appreciated thanks.
If its the K4.6 HPI 15226 is the pullstart I'm going to put mine on tonight seeing my roto start pissed me off last time I used it. Already put my other vehicle back to pullstart from roto-start.
I got mine for $10 new