Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hot bodies vs hpi goliath

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
richardtf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot bodies vs hpi goliath

i just bought a hot bodies UFO wheel w/ psycho tyre and i was disappointed co'z the weight of he tire is killng my savage xl,it wont shift to 3rd gear and barely hit 2nd,i don't want to give up on huge tires i really want the look of a monster so small tires is not an option. my questions are, can anybody tell me if the hpi Goliath tires is lighter than the hot bodies psycho tires? anybody use them with out having to change anything in the gears.

thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12634.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1399109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83876.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1399110  
Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 PM
rotzilla

Default RE: Hot bodies vs hpi goliath

i cant tell you if their lighter, but i know this from bashing with a fellow member that they dont have very good traction. i had like them meself untill i saw him run them.....
Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the same wheels and tires and had to gear the crap out of the truck. I'm happy with 13pinion and 52 spur. I have the high speed 3rd gear so I have crazy top end too. Rotzilla is right tho, crappy traction. Really bad on the street!! LOL
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Yea you cant just slap on a larger tire and expect it go through the gears. Any time you change diameter of the tires your chaging the final gear ratio. So you need to compensate by changing the gear ratio at the spur / clutch bell.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
richardtf

i geared down on the CB from the stock 16T to 14T i am still getting the same thing not changing gears,you can hear the 5.9 scream i've got a spare 49T spur gear, is 14Tcb/49T spur geared towards low end?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
llkoolskillet

i Have both and honestly the Golithas are much much heavier. I have not changed my gearing, i run a stock XL diff in the front and a diff locker in the rear. The gearing i run on the rear is 43t and 13t super heavy duty gears. I run a 17t CB and 52t spur gear. The truck will still ride wheelies all day with the LRP 30. The HB w baller tires are crap! the HB V- Block w Blender wheel are awesome! and the HB with Psycho tires are awesome as well. just need the 14mm hub. The golithas are the heaviest by far!!!!!!! I did pay only $10 for all the HB tires and $100 for the goliathas. Id go with the V-Block tires.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
llkoolskillet

Oh i also have a 3 speed with 086 pipe as well!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 PM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

i Have both and honestly the Golithas are much much heavier. I have not changed my gearing, i run a stock XL diff in the front and a diff locker in the rear. The gearing i run on the rear is 43t and 13t super heavy duty gears. I run a 17t CB and 52t spur gear. The truck will still ride wheelies all day with the LRP 30. The HB w baller tires are crap! the HB V- Block w Blender wheel are awesome! and the HB with Psycho tires are awesome as well. just need the 14mm hub. The golithas are the heaviest by far!!!!!!! I did pay only $10 for all the HB tires and $100 for the goliathas. Id go with the V-Block tires.

good thing that you mentioned the Lrp .30, i was planning to replace my 5.9 with an Lrp .30, i am bit hesitantcoz i don't know for sure if the Lrp .30 can handle the HB psycho tire co'z they are heavy.just like i said i have no plans of using a smaller tires is the 17t CB / 52T spur gear combo for torque?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Big tires really are not good for much other than looks(which they do well). They are hard on suspension parts, differentials, clutches, and will kill the power. Just really arent that good for most bashing situations. Like I said, they do look good though[8D]

Eric
Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 AM
jbooker82

It is a Monster Truck, not a delicate Forumula 1 car.

If your concened with stress then then all the XL owners should also narrower there truck back to the X's width. That long axle with spacer moves the tires out away from the bearing carriers / hubs. That causes stress because it gives the tires more leverage on those parts as well. It is like using a longer handle / cheater on a wrench.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 AM
wolfie1

i am running the standard gearing on my xl with bullit proof diffs and goliath tyres and my lrp 30 easily pulls it up to 3rd hear, the power of this engine is immense
Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 AM
llkoolskillet

I have not had any issues with my truck as for pulling it up to 3rd gear. Climbs right up there like nobodys business. I have the terra pin tires, golithas, axial 40 series tires, HB psycho tires, HB v- block tires, HB ballers, stock X tires and they all drive just fine on my X/XL. I bash the hell out of my truck and love to drive it as fast as i can too! The only bad thing i have to say is dont EVER put the diff locker in the rear. I cant tell you how many diff parts and axles ive broke!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

It is a Monster Truck, not a delicate Forumula 1 car.

If your concened with stress then then all the XL owners should also narrower there truck back to the X's width. That long axle with spacer moves the tires out away from the bearing carriers / hubs. That causes stress because it gives the tires more leverage on those parts as well. It is like using a longer handle / cheater on a wrench.
Yeah. I was aware the savage was a Monster Truck.

Im not saying it just cant handle the bigger tires. It will handle it, but my point was that its really not worth it to me. And yes, the wheel spacers do add leverage to the bearings.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:13 AM
richardtf

i guess maybe its time to get a new engine(lrp.30) if i am not mistaken my 5.9 already run 7gal... hmmmm... you guys with lrp .30 i just have one question..were do you get parts if you need to rebuild? co'z my LHS told me its difficult to buy lrp .30 parts...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
jbooker82

Well some times people compair the savage to their grandmothers fine china.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
cummins driver

Id compare it to something like a 6 wheel drive concrete truck. Weighs a ton, handles about the same, but basically indestructable
Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
llkoolskillet

I bought my LRP 30 brand new off ebay for $174. Look on ebay or google for parts.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Id compare it to something like a 6 wheel drive concrete truck. Weighs a ton, handles about the same, but basically indestructable
LOL nice one

And with the new tires it weighs over a ton
Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 AM
jbooker82

Yep so slap them huge over sized, overwight tires on and dont worry about it. That is my point
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 AM
cummins driver

Thats fine, im not telling anyone not to if thats what they want. Just saying the only positive difference they will make is probably looks.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM
lightning73

is anyone out there familiar with the quake tires on the 17mm hot body slayer wheels? if so my question is how wide are the tires, i know they are supposed to be 7 inches tall, and the slayers are supposed to measure 4 1/2 inches in diameter but the info i found didnt list how wide the tires were, need to know info!!! thanx...
Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

took my savage X out with a k4.6 today with the HB tires (one of the ones on the UFO rims)
I didn't notice much of a change with its gear shifting personally maybe a second later than it did prior, but then again there is alot of gravel right now on my street and it was having traction issues (city filled in potholes with gravel that shot all over the street), I was even having issues stopping (tires were still and it was still sliding...). But my 1/12th scale truggy had the same issues yesterday. On concrete it behaved properly.

The benefits though are the savage didn't roll over while turning at a moderate speed (where as before I had to almost stop), and it didn't wheelie at all either. The front end wanted to pull up but the wheels extra weight kept em down. It also had a easier time driving up curbs

So personally I'm happy with my tires
Old 03-20-2010, 09:31 PM
head_hunter

From what I have picked up over the years when you go to the bigger tires you want to go with 13t/14t cb/and a 52t sg, and get the optional high speed 3-speed tranny. That is what a few buddies run and have no problems with.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I did... 13CB/52SG 3 speed trans with high speed 3rd gear. Trans shifts fine and truck MOVES!!!