Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

servo saver assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default servo saver assembly?

I was doing a once over on my XL yesterday and noticed that while on my stand I worked the steering back and forth and after a couple turns my front tires would stay off parallel (they didn't come back straight) off about 5-10 dagrees.. My servo seems to be doing what it is supposed to do.. But I noticed that the servo saver assembly wiggles a bit. Just wondering if anyone agrees, is it time to replace those.. would that be why the steering doesn't stay in line?

KID EVIL!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:03 AM
rotzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: servo saver assembly?

are you sure your servo is returning to center? are you running the stock servo saver? maybe some of the holes in the plastic have gotten oblong...
Old 03-21-2010, 10:46 AM
-SomeGuy-

Maybe you just need to tighten the screws in the radio box and skid plate that hold the whole thing together.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:54 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

It's a monster truck that will have some slop like that while standing, but when you are driving it will drive like a monster truck should drive...sloppy regardless.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:04 PM
KID_EVIL!

Nope the screws are tight. And I'm hopeing that the servo is the final thing I check rather than buy a new one and realize that wasn't it after all.

It seems to be the top of the post with the saver spring on it. End result will be taking it apart, But I was trying to avoid that until I had a couple more Ideas about it. I mean it could be a combo of things once it's opened up. (servo horn, and servo saver or servo itself..) But everything past the servo saver seems alright.

ring ring..... hello ebay?......

EDIT* So because it's a monster truck I should just beat the **** out of until I see parts on the street then???? I like taking care of my stuff a little bit brother.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 PM
wolfie1

see when you bought ur xl, in the box there was some spare parts, did you notice little plastic ball things with a hole through the centre? i reckon the ones on the arm on your truck which join the servo to the servo saver are worn and need changed, they just pop out and the new ones pop in
Old 03-21-2010, 03:28 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

your servo saver could be loose, but the ball links are very probable... these do wear out and cause a surprising amount of play

the lug
Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 PM
KID_EVIL!

Well, it was actually the connections between those pivot balls. I went back and reached in and tightened those screws a little. There was enough play between those couple screws to make it a problem.

Wolfie, I bought my XL off bud bud... He didn't give me any of those pivot balls

Anyway, looks like i'm alright now. thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 06:44 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

What he is talking about is this. The steering assembly rests on 2 long steel posts. There are 4 plastic doughnuts that are bushings to keep the plastic steering linkage slop free on the metal posts. One goes in each end. You can buy small bearings to replace them too.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 AM
wolfie1

i take it you mean my post, flip ur truck over you will see the arm and ball things in it that i am talking about from the servo to the saver
Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 PM
KID_EVIL!

I know what pivot balls are. they are fine. I tightened up all those screws in there as well. they were a bit loose 1/4 turn. That was alot of my problem. Jbooker knows what I am talking about with the wobble in the post. It still does wobble a little, but not as much as before. And the steering is lineing up better now that all those screws underneth are tight. The ones from the servo to the saver and out at the inside of the tie rod I guess.

Now I need some nice weather so I can go start it up.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 AM
wolfie1

i know what you are saying, last weekend here in scotland was really fine i went to the beach with 4 of my cars on sunday but it was high tide so couldnt run them so i noticed a farmers field which he had turned over and flattened so i took them out there burned about 2 litres of fuel, def a real good day out