Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Bought my first Nitro Truck today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Operatorint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my first Nitro Truck today.

Iordered the truck from a local Hobby Shop. It is a Savage X 4.6 RTR. I have been lurking around these forums for a couple days absorbing as much information as I could before jumping into this hobby. I have read the FAQs and numerous articles/guides all over the web. I'm a waffler in that Ialways end up second guessing myself, and am looking for some reassurances.

Was this specific truck good for a beginner like myself?
Iplan on using the heat cycling break-in method. Any truck specific suggestions would be welcome.
What upgrades/option parts would you consider a must for the Savage X4.6?
What tools/accessories will Ineed to keep the truck in good condition?
The truck comes with a roto-start system. Do Istill need the glow plug igniter?

I am a complete beginner. Ijust started reading about these types of RCvehicles about a week or two ago. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(I had this posted in another part of the forum, but that was before Iknew about this part.)
Old 03-25-2010, 11:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bought my first Nitro Truck today.

the 4.6 RTR is a good truck. Easy to tune for a beginner, can take a ton of punishment, and is pretty forgiving.

option parts only one I say is a must have IMO is a RPM skid plate that is $13. it bolts to the bottom to cover the tranny and brake disk.
Another decent low cost mod is the tank guard. I got one after I almost smashed my tank, hit the side opposite the tank HARD (like 15mph hard which would have probably totaled my tank if I whacked it.
then theres also the stop switch from HPI http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/85068/ The easiest way to stop a savage, and the least risky. Only thing is if mounted with a tank guard the tank guard will have to be cut a bit to allow it to work (this is true with the integy guard not sure about others)

Tools: Duratrax ulitimate car wrench I found a good tool. It works as a glow plug puller, tire iron, and spare glow plug holder. Also get some After Run oil I use hobbico ARO personally. Also you will need some air filter oil soon.

Yes you still need a glow plug warmer. The roto start does not replace the glow-plug. The roto start replaced the pull starter and still needs a glow plug warmer hooked up to turn the engine over.

Also you might want a better steering servo soon. others can recommend that I forgot what I got in my savage personally [sm=confused.gif]
Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Good choice.  Im not new to rc, but was to nitro...and the savage x ss was my first (got it less than a month ago).   Got it used, but was fortunate the seller took good care of it (so far it seems anyway)

REally no "mandatory" hop-ups...cept maybe a high torque steering servo...JR makes good ones, or High-Tec, several others.  Id search and read up on the "Ofna throttle mod", and the "lean tank mods" as these will strengthen apparent weak spots on the savage.  I havent done these yet, but have the parts on order, inexpensive to do..in fact the lean tank mod cost nothing, just shortening fuel tubes.....

Prolly a wheelie bar if it didnt come with one.......Hop ups are almost endless.....every day I read about more stuff I can put on this beast.  Have fun with it, takes time to learn the tuning and such, but its not too bad and most problems you encounter seem difficult at first, but after you see the solution ends up making you feel dumb for not noticing it
Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 AM
head_hunter

After you break your A-arms replace them with RPM arms. When your spur/ clutch bell strips out replace with hardened steel. You will find what the weak spots are for your driving style, then upgrade them as they pop up. And welcome to the savage clan!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Operatorint

Thanks for all the advice guys! I have a couple days before the hobby shop gets the truck in. I will definitely pickup some tools and a glow plug warmer. I was looking into the mods and upgrades you guys spoke about.

I found an Integy Fuel Tank Gaurd here. Think it will fit my Savage? It says XL, but I have X 4.6...

I am also going to get the Savage Center Skid/Protection Plate, as well as the Savage Safety Engine Stop.

I will probably need a little more input on the High Torque Steering Servo.

I saw on the HPI website that they have a "Servo Saver Spring". Would this be worth getting?

I also found a Nitro Starter Kit here. Would it be worth ordering? Do I need all the stuff in it?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
lightning73

get a couple extra glowplugs!!...you always need to have spares...and seeing how your truck is gonna be new, its gonna have to be run rich for a while during break inwhich is tough on glowplugs...
Old 03-26-2010, 02:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Operatorint

Thanks for all the advice guys! I have a couple days before the hobby shop gets the truck in. I will definitely pickup some tools and a glow plug warmer. I was looking into the mods and upgrades you guys spoke about.

I found an Integy Fuel Tank Gaurd here. Think it will fit my Savage? It says XL, but I have X 4.6...

I am also going to get the Savage Center Skid/Protection Plate, as well as the Savage Safety Engine Stop.

I will probably need a little more input on the High Torque Steering Servo.

I saw on the HPI website that they have a ''Servo Saver Spring''. Would this be worth getting?

I also found a Nitro Starter Kit here. Would it be worth ordering? Do I need all the stuff in it?

I got that fuel guard, to make it fit with the engine stop system you have to cut it where I put the green lines cause that lil metal plate covers a hole the stop needs. the cut doesn't affect its strength though so its no issue
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48664.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1405339  
Old 03-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Operatorint

So I picked up some Hex screwdrivers today. Where should I get the Duratrax Ultimate Car Wrench? I would rather get it from a store than off the web. If push comes to shove, I'll get my local hobby store to order it to avoid shipping and handling. As far as glow plugs go, which kind should I get? I know there are three different kinds. I'm thinking the middle one above cool? I know it depends on which kind of fuel I use and how much nitro it contains. Well, I'll ask more questions when the Truck gets here. I am going to follow this guide for breaking in.

Thanks for the help guys, Ireally appreciate it. I'll post some pics of my Savage in the other thread once Iget it tricked out and modified to my liking. Any hints or suggestions still, and always, welcome!