Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

one way bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM
bollman13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one way bearing?

Hi,

I am new to the rc world and just bought a used savage 25. Today it would not start for me and upon further investigation I found that my starter was not engaging and turning the crank. I took the rotostart reciever apart and put it back together, nothing looked out of the ordinary with it, inside and out. The only thing I can see that might have gone wrong is the oneway bearing. It seems to engage most of the time but sometimes it just spins freely. My question is, 1. Does this sound like a legitimate conclusion? and 2. How often do the oneways need to be replaced? My engine is the stock hpi 25 with a rotostart.

Thanks,

Don
Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 AM
kirkbride

Default RE: one way bearing?

Yeah that sounds like a one way bearing issue, i would replace the one way bearing and im sure your engine will turn over nicely, generally a OWB lasts quite a long time, but the roto starts are a little bit tough on them, should still be alright, just dont hold the button down on the roto start
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
head_hunter

I use a babywipe and run it through the OWB. Also clean off the crankshaft. If the base plate is worn it will leak a little fuel onto those parts. You might look into that plate if it continues to be a problem.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM
-SomeGuy-

I used to have slipping OWB issues on my stock savage engine and the easiest trick I found was to drill a little hole in the side of the roto backplate and spray some nitro cleaner (degreaser) in there. Way faster than taking it apart each time it starts to slip.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 PM
lightning73

excellent idea!..thanks for the tipim gonna have togive that a try..where exactly would the best place be to drill the hole and how big?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:35 AM
-SomeGuy-

I drilled it on the side and made the hole just big enough for the straw to fit.