Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

want to find the biggest, baddest, fastest, most durable of giant monster trucks, please weigh in

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

want to find the biggest, baddest, fastest, most durable of giant monster trucks, please weigh in

Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 AM
pcaban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to find the biggest, baddest, fastest, most durable of giant monster trucks, please weigh in

so theres lots of choices now and a decent range in price. i want to find the best for the money. im deciding between the following:

GST 7.7, this one seems to be the biggest and one of the more powerful from what ive read. havent heard anything good or bad about the durability yet. still looking. but this one seems to be intriguing me most
Losi LST2, slightly smaller, lots of good reviews.

MGT 8.0, seems to have a monster engine from what ive read. again not much about durability.

Im kind of ignoring the savage xl 5.9. If you think this is a bad idea then let me know but i just hate the way it looks, hate the tires, hate the body. Ugly truck to me.

If Ive left any out that u think I should be considering then please let me know.

The most important thing to me is durability and handling. The two are related I think in the fact that the better it handles, the less ull crash and if u do the truck will be durable and able to deal with it.

I have a traxxas 3.3 (4908). Its definitely fast, Im less than impressed with the durability. Its breaking constantly and Im not that hard on it. The bulkhead, a arms and axles are always breaking.

I want to find something at least more durable than that thing. And BIGGER!!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: want to find the biggest, baddest, fastest, most durable of giant monster trucks, please weigh in

I would hav to say the Savage XL as a first choice. The Savage is built like a tank. I agree the body is ugly but you can switch that out. The Savage also hws tons of aftermarket support.

Second choise would be the GST 7.7. Also built like a tank just the part availability if something breaks is slim. Also the aftermarket support is slim as well but overall a nice truck.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM
CR500rider

Default RE: want to find the biggest, baddest, fastest, most durable of giant monster trucks, please weigh in

so you come on to a savage forum and ask our advice on what truck to buy after saying you dont want the savage because its ugly and you dont like it. hmmm......
Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
CranKitUP

LOL...

for BOTH durability AND handling...i have to say the MGT..also built like a tank (but easier to work on) and handles better than a Savage.
check youtube vids of the both the Savage & MGT in action!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I'd go with the XL, especially now that it's going to come with a 2.4GHz radio system as standard equipment.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
wolfie1

savage xl def for durability, for the handling put on the hpi anti roll bar kit 18mm hub extenders uprated shox and springs and fit a wide set of wheels i went for hpi goliaths and it handles real good now for a monster truck. ok its no buggy or truggy handling but its a monster truck what do you expect
Old 04-07-2010, 03:27 PM
-SomeGuy-

Have you taken a look at the LST XXL? It might just be exactly what your looking for.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
rcnitrohead

I see your in Brooklyn, if you want we can head out to floyd bennet or somewhere on a weekend and I'll show you how the Savage does
Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 PM
SAVAGEBANE

consider what your lhs has in stock for parts and upgrades, it is so much more convenient to get parts as opposed to ordering online.

for the handling>durability i would say the LST2. good rtr engine and suspension geometry. for the most durability in a good all around package, i would say the savage X 4.6 excellent truck imo, and it can be setup to handle well.

A savage xl has some upgraded components over the X. Longer, wider, HD shaftsthe only catch is that the engine is well known for being a not-so-spectacular pain-in-the-grass and the three speed that comes in the xl is not as durable as the 2speed in the x.
the only downside i have heard of on the X is the differentials. I havent had any problems but If you land on power or brake, or do insane amounts of donuts then your diffs wont last forever. drive smart and they will be alright.
Bottom line...for max durability get the savage X. I have crashed, flipped, wrecked my X so many times and thought for sure it was destroyed....and then it just lifts a wheelie and drives away.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
llkoolskillet

My X drove into the curb at about 50mph head on, flew like 25 feet in the air, landed on its roof bounced back over rolled thru the busy intersection, hit the other curb rolled over and reved out. NOTHING BROKE AT ALL!!!!!! I was shocked, surly something had to break, nope built like a tank! Savage X or XL my friend!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
mubus

the savage xl is sooo beast expecially if you put a 086 pipe like i did...
now my savy totally rips. plus hpi has a good warranty, lots of hop ups, if ur lhs is a hpi distributor thats even better cuz you can get parts cheap and fast.
even tho the savage xl is really ugly stock it can be changed but personally looks doesn't matter since when ur having fun you won't really care what it looks like... just as long as it wheelies and actually doesn't break all the time
Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEBANE

consider what your lhs has in stock for parts and upgrades, it is so much more convenient to get parts as opposed to ordering online.
not when your LHS is 45mins away :P

but hell the one I goto has every part for the savage you can imagine in stock (along with the after market parts)
But then again every employee that works in the onroad RC section owns 1-2 savages, and they like to stock parts for vehicles they like
Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 AM
aussiexl59

there is no truck on the planet that is as tuff as a savage xl...
Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Losi= the best handling MT out there. Period! If you get the xxl you get all sort of goodies with it. i.e 2.4 radio system ect.
MGT 8.0 =by far the most powerfull MT I have ever driven and it is solid as a rock in stock form. it doesn't handle too bad either.
Savage= Not really sure why people like it so much it handles like a wheel barrow even for a MT and working on it is a pain in the butt
CEN=I have no experience with it but I haven't heard much that was good.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
pcaban

yakfish, thanks for the objectivity

so the mgt 8.0 is built even better than the GST? ive been reading that its built like a brick**** house. and i can assume the the 8.0 is a reference to 8cc's as 7.7 is in reference to 7.7cc? that size difference cant be that noticeable or different for me to notice. wont be racing, just bashing. theres no courses near my house or even in the city. nyc is a tough place for this hobby.

but i think its boiling down to the gst and mgt. from what i understand the gst 7.7 has front and rear steering. i dont think its standard but its an option.

the problem with the gst is that its hard to find parts, but as i have to order anything i get it may not be as big as issue for me

anyone else weigh in on this?

thanks again yakfish
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wanted an objectionable view should try posting this in the general MT forum it exists for a reason. This post is kinda like going into a Honda dealership and asking which is better the new Chevy Silverado, Ford F150, or Dodge Ram, and saying your not even considering the Honda Ridgeline cause its ugly.(just an example I got nothing against Hondas)

Posting this in the HPI MT and asking about anything other than a HPI MT will get these kind of responses. Hell you even called the savage an ugly truck. I'm shocked they didn't flame you more in all truth like the last time someone did something similar.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: pcaban

yakfish, thanks for the objectivity

so the mgt 8.0 is built even better than the GST? ive been reading that its built like a brick**** house. and i can assume the the 8.0 is a reference to 8cc's as 7.7 is in reference to 7.7cc? that size difference cant be that noticeable or different for me to notice. wont be racing, just bashing. theres no courses near my house or even in the city. nyc is a tough place for this hobby.

but i think its boiling down to the gst and mgt. from what i understand the gst 7.7 has front and rear steering. i dont think its standard but its an option.

the problem with the gst is that its hard to find parts, but as i have to order anything i get it may not be as big as issue for me

anyone else weigh in on this?

thanks again yakfish
dont go by engine size as a measurement of power.......i will put my x 4.6 up against any mgt 8.0 or cen 7.7 any day of the week......

Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Get a Savage.If you let the body dictate what you buy you're going to be very disappointed. You obviously didn't make a good choice the first time.

Just get a Savage.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:44 PM
pcaban

im doing this from my pda. didnt see a generic monster truck forum. i def wouldve posted it to the generic forum

ive been to a track in ohio. the sav 4.6 was owned by a revo, a losi lst 2, and an mgt 8.0. drag racing and on the track. i also have a new traxxas 3.3 and i tore my friend a new ass with his savage

but im looking for one of the giants. the 4.6 is far smaller than the sav xl, gst, mgt, etc.

i think im going with the gst. it has a dual chassis, metal gear servo, stupidly massive shocks, and the strongest engine ive seen on paper.

i want a truly monster
Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 PM
BudBud

If you want to track race, buy a truggy. There are several really nice ones out there and none of the Monster Trucks will run with them. The 7.7 and 8.0 engines are just bragging rights for size, somebody will not know better and their advertising will sell another... Some clown in a Savage X or a Revo with a Picco 27 or 28 will stomp your 7.7 or 8.0 into the dirt for acceleration or top end. The Mugen MBX5T is almost as big wheelbase wise, it does not have that M/T high center of gravity. Come look me up when you get your 8.0 running perfect and we will see how it stacks up against a Picco 21...

Coming to this forum and trashing the Savage is like walking into a weight lifting center and smacking the biggest guy in there with a 2x4, the end results are probably going to get ugly.

I have been around the 8.0, nice truck. I have not had the pleasure of working on the GST 7.7 yet. If big engines are your thing, go find a Thunder Tiger EK4 with a 11.0 or .70 engine, whichever you prefer to call it.

The Savage 4.6 will stomp the EK4 in speed and acceleration. But the EK4 sure sound cool and loves to wheelie....

Thunder Tiger was the first to put a helicopter engine in a monster truck and brag about how great the big engine was... they are not the last. You may have displacement, but you are sacrificing 10 to 20 thousand rpm. Glen

Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I forgot mention about the MGT 8.0... It drinks fuel like nothing else I have ever driven. you will go thru a gallon of fuel so quick its no even funny. but it does have a ton of bottom end power. I would assume it will be the same with the GST 7.7. this is where you are better off with getting something with a "smaller" engine.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 PM
bishop808
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

My X drove into the curb at about 50mph head on, flew like 25 feet in the air, landed on its roof bounced back over rolled thru the busy intersection, hit the other curb rolled over and reved out. NOTHING BROKE AT ALL!!!!!! I was shocked, surly something had to break, nope built like a tank! Savage X or XL my friend!!!
I call bull
Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 PM
llkoolskillet

bull hahaha thats funny! To which part of it, the 50 mph part or the fact that nothing broke? It is very possible get a savage to 50mph handles like crap tho! Yes NOTHING broke! Today while i was driving I cracked one of my new HB rims in half tires still glued on and my XL looks like the shape of an S. However NOTHING broke and it still runs! These trucks are worth every penny! I wish i hadnt wasted my money on all the other trucks i have. Oh my LRP 30 Spanked my Collari 32 today hehe!!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 AM
rcnitrohead

i think im going with the gst. it has a dual chassis, metal gear servo, stupidly massive shocks, and the strongest engine ive seen on paper.
Advertising #s mean nothing.. Look up dyno results for real world data, those large engines are turds and still have a similar amount of torque as a good .28. My Picco .28 with high speed gearing does second gear wheelies on demand...
Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 PM
CR500rider

evedently this kid just wants bragging rights and nothing to back it up with. a truck that size really needs a gasoline engine to be impressive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.