Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Stock Diff vs Bullet Proof Diff. For the guys who dont know.

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Stock Diff vs Bullet Proof Diff. For the guys who dont know.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Diff vs Bullet Proof Diff. For the guys who dont know.

So when my Bullet Proof diffs came in from HPI I opened up the package and was impressed at how beefy they looked. Never knew how scrawny the stock one was until I removed them. Look at ho w the original pinion had only 6 teeth out of the original 13. When i compared them side by side I was highly impressed. Well now I have everything installed, all shimmed up, and ready to go. I dont have to worry about metal shavings any more,

Click image for larger version

Name:	a3cdaa19.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2238063

Name:	8af7cf17.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2238064

Name:	7a6d40cd.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2238065
Old 05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
rcnitrohead

Default RE: Stock Diff vs Bullet Proof Diff. For the guys who dont know.

Mmmmm... Damn I'm definitely getting those now, thanks for the pics [8D]. I hope I can wriggle some out of HPI, if not its $90 out of the wallet [&:]
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
richardtf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bullet proof diff? is this a standard part for a newer model savage x?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 AM
MotorBreathLT1

They come on the xl and flux, but hpi will replace broken x diffs for bulletproof sets if you send pix of the broken stockers.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
quietnas1

Ran it today at the park and attempted the same jump. Success!!!!! These diffs are awesome. I didn't land at WOT but still a succes. I think they were going bad before the jump cuz through the day I had lost the ability to wheelie. Now even with the bigg wheels I can get the front wheels off the ground with no problem.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
sharkattack99

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Mmmmm... Damn I'm definitely getting those now, thanks for the pics [8D]. I hope I can wriggle some out of HPI, if not its $90 out of the wallet [&:]

there only 55.35 shipped thats for two (priority mail) from TCS rockcrawlers thats where i got mine.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 PM
rcnitrohead

^ If I end up having to buy them I'll just get new diff cases/bulkheads as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
wolfie1

as someone who has run 6-7 gallons at least with the bullit proof diffs running hard with no problems whatsoever i will vouch for them
Old 05-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Blowerz

I have just been passed to this forum from mt2 forum as I am gonna order savage x 4.6 tomoz an is it easy to damage the diffs? Thought ment be tough but I won't be hammering hard for ages I just run on grass and dirt will they be ok for while?

Also looked at a post " must read before run savage rtr" an it about airfilter cable tidy tightening an also some weird gear meshing and something about make sure all screws are loctite what is that? I can check the gear mesh without unscrewig everything by what it says about piece of paper
Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 PM
quietnas1

I have bean beating the hell out of my Savage since I bought it. The diff will be just fine for how you want to run it. The screws on the new Savage X already have loctite on them. Its always a good idea to check your gear mesh on any new RTR vehicle.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:22 PM
llkoolskillet

Whoa hold on here, when you say that the stock diffs will work fine for your style. HMMMMM if your style is asphault driving! Im pretty sure that we all here love to bash the crap out of our trucks and jump them as well. With that said I have run the stock diffs, the heavy duty diffs and now the BP diffs. I will never again buy any other diff other than the BP ones because they simply just take it and take it keep puttin power to the ground. Even with a modded picco they take it all day long. I like to jump really high like 10- 15 ft+ in the air and land all crazy style. With the STOCK diffs they simply CANT take it. Even doing donuts, CANT take it. Yes your correct when you say check your mesh when new. Heck you should give the whole truck a look over when new. HPI says to do it.

Hands down Everyone should run the BP diffs, im glad HPI finally made them.

I converted my front diff on my X the other day with the BP and left the stock in the rear. Well after about an hour the rear was trashed. Today with both in HAHAHAHA gotta love the power to the ground. No more worring about wether or not im going to break my diff again.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
rcnitrohead

Surprisingly my stock X type rear diff lasted about 5 gallons or so mostly in 2WD.. I beat the living crap out of my truck, I blew that rear doing a WOT run in the sand .

My Savage has over 13 gallons on it.. I should treat it to some new parts lol
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
steed2-inactive

the stockers are 3.30:1 and the bp's are 3.22:1....slightly higher top speed......very slight...lol
Old 05-06-2010, 10:54 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that we had to gear UP because the BP diffs are geared down.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

a properly shimmed diff will last for a long while. HPI cannot take the time to sit down and shim each one. They know how many shims to use to get them close. Well close isnt good enough when you start upping the power. The little bit of play allows the gears to slam back and fourth, eventually breaking teeth off. If you shim them tight so there is no play then you wont have any issues. I haven't ever broken a diff gear. The only problem I have had with diffs is the bearing going out on the ring gear. This allows the mesh to loosen up. I run the flux diffs that have the larger bearing on the ring gear and haven't had a problem since. That includes landing back flips at WOT.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Wow, those bulletproof differentials look 10x better than the others.

Im still running the original style diff's in mine with the plastic cups no less I have about 8 gallons on my savage now. The rear diff went at 5 gallons, and i rebuilt it with new gears and shimmed it right. The front differential is still all original and untouched at 8 gallons in[8D]

The bulletproof diff's definately are the way to go though. Its a little spendy, but it is well worth the $$ to not have to mess with it again. The differentials were always the biggest downfall of a savage when it came to big power in my opinion, and that problem is gone. Long live the savage!

Eric
Old 05-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Blowerz

Yer well when my truck turns up it'll probly take me abit time get through the diffs but as soon as I do the bp diff had nothing but good things so I'll get them. When people say when u put them in shim them what does this mean I am a novice :P is it just get them snug so no movement between teeth? An how would u shim correctly?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 AM
wolfie1

if you look through this forum you will find some real good posts on how to shim them
Old 05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Blowerz

ORIGINAL: wolfie1

if you look through this forum you will find some real good posts on how to shim them
no nothing in these posts but just wanted to no what it is and yer how to do it will be good at a later date when get my savage an upgrade the diffs
Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that we had to gear UP because the BP diffs are geared down.
no ..gear down ...as in less teth on the cb
Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 PM
quietnas1

Here goes a good thread on shimming and why it should be done.
http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums...ead.php?t=9865
Old 05-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Blowerz

Wow that has complicated things for me lol i not sure weather to get a savage now as had mt2 for while now and never done that maybe good idea if can get my head around it. I'm just not clued up on where all the bits are and even though quite explainatry I still lost.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

My only complaint is that HPI decided to copy only the ring and pinion gears from the CEN diff assemblies, and not the 3 piece diff case design. The 3 piece design allows the use of a hardened steel bearing support plate on the case side, which can be machined smaller to use a larger (8x16mm) bearing. HPI is still using an aluminum cup and a 10x16mm bearing on the case side, which creates a weak link in the assembly. I still think the CENs are better for this reason.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: steed2

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

no ..gear down ...as in less teth on the cb
Alright, that's what I thought, just worded it differently
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 PM
llkoolskillet

im still a firm believer that with more power from the motor that no matter what diff your running your still going to have a weak link somewhere in the line. I have about 8 gallons thru my XL and the weakest link is actually the turnbukles. But i would rather have a turnbuckle come off after a bad landing than break something. We all have different driving styles and with this we'll all break different things. I still believe that the BP are the way to go, no more worries. Ive had the stock diffs last 5 gallons too but why worry when you can put something in that you dont have to worry about. I never geared down or geared up. Im still running 17t/ 52t on my XL w BPs, also run goliathas. No issue here, tons of power out of my picco. My trans however is a different story, finally broke under the power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.