Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

FLUX (brushless) vs Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM
bambooi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLUX (brushless) vs Nitro

It has been a while since I've been into the R/C world. I currently have a nitro buggy. I've been doing some research on 1/8th monster trucks and I like the flux HP. With the latest in LIPO batteries/ESCs and cost, it seems like brushless setups are a no brainer yet, I still see people going with nitro. What is the reason for this? It looks like brushless are the way to go, but not many manufacturers have 1/8th scale electric monster trucks.

Thanks,
Bam
Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 AM
wolfie1

Default RE: FLUX (brushless) vs Nitro

people like me i suppose like the smell, noise, smoke, the challenge of getting it running right and i suppose the added danger of burning yourself on a hot exhaust/engine . Well to me anyway (everybody is entitled to their own opinion) electric just seems like a toy as opposed to nitro being an actual model
Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bambooi

It has been a while since I've been into the R/C world. I currently have a nitro buggy. I've been doing some research on 1/8th monster trucks and I like the flux HP. With the latest in LIPO batteries/ESCs and cost, it seems like brushless setups are a no brainer yet, I still see people going with nitro. What is the reason for this? It looks like brushless are the way to go, but not many manufacturers have 1/8th scale electric monster trucks.

Thanks,
Bam
nitro half the cost of the electric for people just starting
electric with batteries will be almost $800 vs $440ish for the savage X RTR a glow plug warmer and bottle of fuel

IMO Nitro's a little more challenging and fun to work on. I personally don't like easy things I like having something that requires more maintenance than plugging a battery into a charger and looking at it for about an hour.
That being said if you look at my signature I have a Nitro and electric savage. The electric was made outta a used Savage .25 I got cheap, and the reason I just didn't buy a flux outright was I found building it and making all the mounts, and parts more fun than actually driving it
Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM
stussman

Brushless is definately faster but i gota have the noise,smoke,smell,fuel. Its more real life like instead of more toy like. Nothing like a modded os28 in my truggy and bash the crap out of it. Those savy flux sure look fun tho.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: stussman

Brushless is definately faster but i gota have the noise,smoke,smell,fuel. Its more real life like instead of more toy like. Nothing like a modded os28 in my truggy and bash the crap out of it. Those savy flux sure look fun tho.
lol also brushless goes through bodies faster cause they tend to end up on their lids alot more

Might take a pic of my one body that I used for 10 mins only while I was testing my savage out ahd how bad it is lol
VS my nitros had the its body with almost a gallon through it and its in better shape
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

+1 I run a brushless Rustler as well as my nitro, but enjoy the "wrench" time on my nitro a bit more. All preference really.
ORIGINAL: wolfie1

people like me i suppose like the smell, noise, smoke, the challenge of getting it running right and i suppose the added danger of burning yourself on a hot exhaust/engine . Well to me anyway (everybody is entitled to their own opinion) electric just seems like a toy as opposed to nitro being an actual model
Old 06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
lthall

When I was younger, I enjoyed the "fun" of tuning my truck almost every day to get it running top notch. As I have grown older, I feel like my time is too valuable to be spending that much time wrenching on my truck. I have still held onto my Revo (2.5 even) and will bring it out occasionally. However for me, for the most part, I charge my batteries and go to town...no tuning required. Also when I am done, I may blow it off, then I put it in the garage and forget about it until the next bash day. No after run oil, no cleaning that oily mess off the truck. They both have their niches and IMO always will.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:41 PM
fluxme
My Feedback: (18)

i have had 3 nitro savages,and just got a flux,my flux has 2    6000mah    45c  2 cell   lippos
a 44t spur, 22t pinion,35t ideler internal gear
and the castle usb programing kit.
when you program your flux you can change your punch controll and set throtle curves and much more.mine is set at 100% on the punch,and a S  pattern on the throtle and brake curve. it was radared by a freind who is a cop it did  58mph.if i gear it more i can get more speed but its is very fast now.i have had it 6 mounths and the only problem i had was the wheels fell off from no loctight.my nitros always broke down.and i never saw a nitro do 58mph.unless it had 2 motors.
FLUX   ALL  THE  WAY   BABY
Old 06-05-2010, 05:41 PM
absolutemayhem

my revo does 61mph...as far as setting up throttle punch...most radios have that in there programing...but i just use my throttle finger. lol
Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
SportsFans

hehehe... I kid

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i35GyxfY3K8[/youtube]
Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM
fluxme

yup what to it catches fire
Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the price is right I will be on the flux wagon. The only thing I wanna wrench on is a old hot rod or classic car it will probably be a while till I finally own either one.

Like the one guy said when you get older and I am 50, you just don't feel like thinking at the end of the day you just want to come home and pull the trigger and watch it go like a bat out of hell
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Operatorint

Nitro's are models and a hobby.

The Flux's are just toys.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
sharkattack99

First there basically the same thing just different power plants and second toys are what u buy at wal-mart since u can only get these at a hobby shop I would consider them part of the hobby
Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Operatorint

I know, I know... It's preference. I have a Savage X4.6 right now, and have had a blast bashing it, breaking it, researching it, shopping for it, customizing it, and fixing it. While I love Nitro, I plan on buying a Vorza in a couple weeks (Any input on it guys? I'm on the fence right now between Savage Flux and Vorza). It all comes down to preference. If you like wrenching on a 4x4, customizing/fabricating, and tuning an engine to perfection than you are better off with a Nitro. It just seems to me that the brushless setups are mostly "complete" setups, in that there isn't much to do except bash them (Which is a blast don't get me wrong).
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
fluxme

stay away from the flux, i have one its 6 mounths old,and caught fire 2 times already and melted the esc.i run 2 2cell  45c lippos  witch hpi recomends.the esc is just a bad design
Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 PM
sharkattack99

yeah that sucks when they catch fire, but you nitro guys spend your time trying to get your trucks to light up, and use flux guys spend our time trying to keep ou trucks from lighting up, lol.

but i like my flux easier just charge and bash most of the time
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Operatorint

Wow, flux lights on fire? What do you do to fix this? Don't run it as hard?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
sharkattack99

yes they do my castle creations one (basically a flux) litterally caught on fire its a number of things batteries not supplying enought amps to the esc, bad gearing bad esc (malfunction) but it does suck but there pretty good at replacing it at no cost to you not even for shipping the burnt one back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91oQcK585eQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

not saying there good just saying it happens in this case it was a esc malfuntion.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
fluxme

boy thats how my flux went up just like that but 2 times hpi says bad esc but i keep getting bad ones nitro time
Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: fluxme

boy thats how my flux went up just like that but 2 times hpi says bad esc but i keep getting bad ones nitro time
try a 150A hobbyking ESC I hear those are good
personally I wish I bought the HK ESC instead of the castle I probably wouldn't be having any issues now if I did
Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 PM
sharkattack99

mine too, lol got a new one on the way, castle says its very rare for this to happen though

i think those only go to 4s lipo's though
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM
etivac13

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

try a 150A hobbyking ESC I hear those are good
personally I wish I bought the HK ESC instead of the castle I probably wouldn't be having any issues now if I did

this is what i have on my flux... no problem so far...though my flux is only 3 wks old...

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=459

Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 AM
fluxme

give it time it will go poof
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM
etivac13

i hope not...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.