HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage XL Engine Upgrade

Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Savage XL Engine Upgrade

My only point in posting that vid is that the RTR 5.9 engine is plenty capable of pushing the XL to about anywhere most people want to go.
If I can get that kind of air on a bad tune in poor weather...

IMO not needed to replace it unless you are trying to do top speed runs, and what would anyone want to use a Savage for doing that?[&:]
The Savage is best suited for beating the snot out of and my 5.9 has done a dandy job of that.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

great insight neil! cheers.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

My only point in posting that vid is that the RTR 5.9 engine is plenty capable of pushing the XL to about anywhere most people want to go.
If I can get that kind of air on a bad tune in poor weather...

IMO not needed to replace it unless you are trying to do top speed runs, and what would anyone want to use a Savage for doing that?[&:]
The Savage is best suited for beating the snot out of and my 5.9 has done a dandy job of that.

I can definitely see your point ! However I guess we are just so accustomed to these better engines that we can't just live with "Good Enough" ..... I am sorry to say but your videos don't show anything remotely close to being impressive as far as engine is concerned.... Yes you have little respect for your truck and are willing to launch is really high, but honestly that takes zero skill and any old sport .28,30,32 will do the exact same thing........I will say your videos do impress me, as i always get a kick out of watching people abuse their gear...... But this thread was started by someone asking for a engine upgrade of his 5.9, and that is what I have been trying to talk about...... If the OP thought the 5.9 was "Good Enough " he wouldn't have made this thread looking for something better in the first place............Remember the 5.9 is your first nitro, so to you its greatest thing since sliced bread, but to many here who have owned many other engines the 5.9 just doesn't stack up.....maybe in a few years when you have had more experience and tried a few others engines you will look back and laugh at your infatuation with 5.9......... Nothing wrong with you being happy with the 5.9, as we each have our own standards...

think of it this way...the 5.9 is a very tame RTR engine...yes it does its job, but barely...these other engines can do the same job with ease and a whole pile more...........
Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Um, the XL 5.9 is far from my first nitro.. try Black Tub RC10GT from 15 years ago when they came stock with the O.S. .12 before AE was selling their own branded engines, and that being my first nitro engine and it still runs today, but that's neither here nor there..

Sorry Tib, but if you 5.9 haters weren't running rampant on here the OP likely wouldn't have thought he needed a new engine and have to wait to "sell the 5.9 on ebay and order something else and then you get to drive your new truck when the new engine shows up".
I know I wouldn't want to wait another couple weeks to a month to drive my new RC, just sayin.

Budbud used to post the 5 threads of blown 5.9's every time it was mentioned, I asked him if any of his many 5.9's ever failed on him and he said no..
I'm sure many of those "bad" 5.9's were from user error.

I know posting against you is pointless because you are always right.[&o]
Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: steed2

great insight neil! cheers.

no problem...... The truck we put the Novarossi in had previously been running a modded SH 28 P8.....The SH was impressive power wise, but its tune floated all over the map depending on how hard we were running it...... We were constantly adjusting the tune as we ran the engine to keep it in peak performance......The exact same characteristics as i see on any engine with a non insulated carb........... Once we bolted the Nova in it was like night and day.... We warmed the engine up, put a tune on it and ran the rest of the day without touching the needles once, and the engine performed flawlessly...The new owner could not believe how much better the Nova tuned then the SH..he even commented how far off the truth most of what he reads on the forums ended up being..... If you read these forums you would assume a LRP/SH is the easiest tuning, most reliable engine on the planet, and that all the Quality Italian engines are hard to tune junk......More like too many novices thinking they are pro's when giving engine advice, and the advice they are giving is not very accurate and usually based off speculation..They themselves have never tried an Italian engine, but they know a cousin's uncle'who had one and it didn't tune good....very little of the information given is based off actual experience....

I'll say it once...if you can tune a LRP /Axial etc...you can just as easily tune a Novarossi, Picco or OS
Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Um, the XL 5.9 is far from my first nitro.. try Black Tub RC10GT from 15 years ago when they came stock with the O.S. .12 before AE was selling their own branded engines, and that being my first nitro engine and it still runs today, but that's neither here nor there..

Sorry Tib, but if you 5.9 haters weren't running rampant on here the OP likely wouldn't have thought he needed a new engine and have to wait to ''sell the 5.9 on ebay and order something else and then you get to drive your new truck when the new engine shows up''.
I know I wouldn't want to wait another couple weeks to a month to drive my new RC, just sayin.

Budbud used to post the 5 threads of blown 5.9's every time it was mentioned, I asked him if any of his many 5.9's ever failed on him and he said no..
I'm sure many of those ''bad'' 5.9's were from user error.

I know posting against you is pointless because you are always right.[&o]

hmmmmm... I think you are tying me into a different argument that was never mine to begin with !!!!

But I will say that wether the person should run or sell the 5.9 should depend on their finances and experience..... If they are a rookie with their first nitro I would stay with the 5.9...HPI has a good warranty and for a novice a 5.9 will do everything it needs to do........But if the person is experienced they could definitely find a better engine then the 5.9, and the money from the 5.9 would give them a good chunk towards a better engine......Personally i would say it depends on the user and their needs and desires.... I don't think there is really a right or wrong answer to be honest, a valid case can be made for both sides.......

I am not here to tell anyone they need to buy anything.... As what a person chooses to buy is based purely of personal preference........ However I will gladly give accurate and honest comparisons between the different engines so a person understands what they are looking at when making their decisions.......I would say I am one of the most qualified people on this forum to offer this advice...I have been modifying these engines for years, I have a proven background improving all the different brands, from the K 5.9 all the way to ultra high dollar race engines like the OS Speed...I own a dyno system and do R+D work for one of the largest engine brands in the offroad market....I have videos dating back over 5 years showing everything under the sun, SH,STS,Picco,Axial, Novarossi, Werk's, OS, Go, Alpha, Argus etc. etc..... I have a very proven track record on the forums, and a very long list of happy customers........... So when I talk about these different engines you know I have the actual hands on experience to make the recommendations..........If I was a dishonest person there is no way I would still be here modding engines today...bad word travels extremely fast on the internet, so there is no way I would have such a good reputation if I was giving bad advice............ Some people have chosen to hate on me, but thats usually because they can't handle hearing the truth about a product they have an emotional attachment to .....In the end when it comes to nitro engines I would say I have a much better understanding and piles more experience then most guys who post on these forums..... Not trying to brag by saying this stuff, just trying to put things into perspective for those who don't know the full story............I am far from the villain some of these guys would like you to believe...
Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No sweat man, and I'm not trying to slam you either.
Just putting my view and personal experience out here as an alternative opinion.
This is my third year and 12th gallon with my 5.9 and I've been happy with it thus far.
It just seems that all I've ever seen here at RCU is slamming the 5.9, and I'm sure that's where all the noobs I see looking at buying an XL on other forums get their info when their first post on other forums is - "I hear the 5.9 is junk, what engine do I need to get?"

Seen quite a few guys actually stick with the 5.9 with the intention of getting another engine when it fails and they ended up being happy after sealing and getting a proper tune on it.

BTW I thought the Savage was a waste of time because Truggies were the shizzy. J/K
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

No sweat man, and I'm not trying to slam you either.
Just putting my view and personal experience out here as an alternative opinion.
This is my third year and 12th gallon with my 5.9 and I've been happy with it thus far.
It just seems that all I've ever seen here at RCU is slamming the 5.9, and I'm sure that's where all the noobs I see looking at buying an XL on other forums get their info when their first post on other forums is - ''I hear the 5.9 is junk, what engine do I need to get?''

Seen quite a few guys actually stick with the 5.9 with the intention of getting another engine when it fails and they ended up being happy after sealing and getting a proper tune on it.

BTW I thought the Savage was a waste of time because Truggies were the shizzy. J/K

No problems dude !

I do like truggies alot , but I do have fun with MT's as well.......Tho I do believe many of the guys running MT would enjoy a truggy alot more then they realize they would.....And I also feel many of the MT guys should own a Truggy along with their MT's...Instead of having 6 of the same truck they should expand and give a Truggy a try instead..........Unfortunately there is so much misinformation posted on the subject that many guys are swayed away from even trying one......

Myself I specialize in engines, and engines only.... I wont pretend to be an expert on building a Savage or LST...I don't know all the hot hoppups, tho working with hundreds of customers I do end up working with pretty much everything related to the engine, as in fuel tanks, linkages, gearing, clutching, fuel, tuned pipes etc. etc.....And I also work with making the different machines hold up to the modified engines...different machines have different problems that we have worked thru.......My business specializes in producing high output modified engines, so you have to somewhat understand where my views come from in regards to engines....People come to me when they are looking to upgrade or for something out of the ordinary... .... There is no question that a RTR engine gets the job done perfectly fine for most people...However there is still a big demand for higher performance engines.......So different strokes for different folks....
Old 05-13-2011, 10:19 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I feel ya, and I know where your coming from, I just like to show the other side of the coin when I can..
I'm a cheap, poor **** lol so I stick to what's cheap and works for me.
Speaking of truggies [:-] I should have a D8T coming soon if money is right in the next week or so.
I'll be running the Axial .28 2S my friend got me when he won the A-main vid contest last year. HEHEHEHEHE.
I'd love to get a B5 or B6, but... I'll be lucky to afford a decent steering servo.[:@]
Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

I feel ya, and I know where your coming from, I just like to show the other side of the coin when I can..
I'm a cheap, poor **** lol so I stick to what's cheap and works for me.
Speaking of truggies [:-] I should have a D8T coming soon if money is right in the next week or so.
I'll be running the Axial .28 2S my friend got me when he won the A-main vid contest last year. HEHEHEHEHE.
I'd love to get a B5 or B6, but... I'll be lucky to afford a decent steering servo.[:@]

The D8T is a pretty wicked truggy...your going to like it
Old 05-13-2011, 01:45 PM
SavagedXXL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SLAYERDUDE, the reason some of us are 5.9 haters is because we've had MUCH better, and I hate to see people duped (like I was)into buying such an expensive truck with a lackluster engine. It would seriously be worth a 2 or 3 week wait to get a better engine on a new truck - at least to me. When I first bought my first 21, I was totally satisfied with it. So much so that when I wore out the first one, I even bought a 2nd one new. I didn't see any need for anything more until I had more. I saw all the hype about the XTM 24.7 being so much stronger than the 21, so I tried one - and WOW! I kicked myself for ever buying a new 21. When the new 25 came out, and I bought one and immediately realized that it was nothing compared to 24.7, so I bought a Orion WASP 28. It was the biggest POS of a motor I've ever owned - even to this day. When that didn't work out, I bought a Mach M26 and loved it. I ran it forever and later bought an Axial 28 because of all the hype around them at time. Once again, I was left disappointed. It wasn't a POS like the WASP, but it was nothing special and wasn't any stronger than the plain old blue head Mach M26. From that point forward I pretty much became a SH/LRP/Mach fanboy because I had been disappointed by other brand engines I'd had. Until, I bought the ClockedPicco, I bought nothing but SH basedengines for years.I've had 2 LRP's (Z28R spec 3 and the ZR30), an 8 port SH 28, a boat load of Machs (26's, 427's, 454, 28's).
By the time I got my XL, and I already had a 21 and 25 with aftermarket engines, a relatively new X with the F4.6. I bought into the hype of XL and based it on the fact that X was pretty stout, and I figured the 5.9 would at least be a step up from the 4.6. Well, it wasn't. The f4.6 did everything better- low end, top en , tuneability, run time. The 5.9 was a hot runningslug compared to anything I had and it was my most expensive truck. I gave it chance hoping it would get stronger as I got more time on it, but it never did. In less than 2 gallons, the front bearing was shot. A Mach 427 powered truck will skull drag a 5.9 truck all day long, and it just pissed me off that it was so bad. That's the reason I give engine recommendations based on my experience. If I can save someone from spending hard earned money on a badengine when there's a better one out there I at least want them to know about it. If you are happy with your 5.9 that's cool. Run it until it croaks. The only thing I was would recommend is when it dies, try to find someone with some of the other engines and see how they run. If you are like I was with that 21, you have idea what you are missing.

BTW, I still have most of the engines I've bought. I sold my 25 to mybrother and also sold my Z28R tohim when the ZR30 came out (and I wish I hadn't.) I sold my Mach 427 and a 454 to a buddy, and sold a couple Axials but I have most of the rest of them. I still have both 21's, the XTM24.7, and my first Mach 26. I drug a box out the shop, and took I pic of all the ones not on trucks the other day. I didn't realize how many I still had -lol

One second thought, maybe you should never change engines! I have spend a few bucks on engines over the years. Of course they are only like $50 a piece if you ask my wife!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97719.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1608077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57052.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1608078  
Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Of course they are only like $50 a piece if you ask my wife!
LMAO!
Trust me if I had cash to spend on a higher end Picco or even an LRP I would plan on that when the 5.9 gives up the ghost, but my current plan is to just get a pinch from Ray A for $20 and keep on truckin.
I have a Hotbodies .26 that I broke in for a friend and that thing isn't anything special I'm sure, and yes, it's almost as powerful as the .36, never said it was a massive powerhouse but it's been a pretty reliable engine for me as long as you seal it every few gallons or so and RTV over the MSN once you get it set, and has done every job I needed it to do when I needed to do it.
As far as temps I've never had issues with my 5.9 except when I had air leaks and it's seen 300+F a few times!
Lately it's been in the 230-240 range.
And the only time it's thrown me for a loop is when the pinchbolt was leaking due to the lower carb o-ring.
For $3 this is a handy thing to have in the toolbox along with some RTV.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/15241/
So for $10 or so you have a decent engine after sealing it up in my experience.

Just to add to the discussion, don't the 3 speed tend to grenade with the upgraded engines?
I grenaded mine with the 5.9 at about... 9 - 10 gallons.

Quote:
The D8T is a pretty wicked truggy...your going to like it
Thanks Tib, that's what I've read so far and at $299 it's right up my alley!

Sorry for going off topic to the OP, and I decline what I said earlier about the OP not looking for a replacement.. forgot which 5.9 hatin thread I was in.

If your 5.9 is crap and not under HPI warranty, I wouldn't tell you to get another one since I've heard these are easy to tune and plenty cheaper than the 5.9.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYU8&P=FR

I'm just sayin that as it comes in the XL, it's worth a shot if you have a good ear for tuning and aren't skeered to seal it up.
The stock 5.9 has done me right for 3 years now.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old pics of a mod 5.9...notice how i opened up the 2 front boost ports into 1 large boost port ?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guessing that is Glen's engine?
It's SHINY!

FWIW, would you recommend an ERCM pipe?
They just give me wood in the unpolished state, I like the welds on there.. SEXY!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Guessing that is Glen's engine?
It's SHINY!

FWIW, would you recommend an ERCM pipe?
They just give me wood in the unpolished state, I like the welds on there.. SEXY!

Absolutely I would recommend the ERCM pipe.....I just had a customer put a ERCM side bleed on a Mod Picco 28 Losi XXL and he's absolutely blown away...... IMHO the ERCM pipe is the absolute best pipe I have seen on a MT....
Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been hearing that everywhere I go, ERCM is the shizzy!
But was that Glens 5.9? (Budbud)

I really want, well my member is hard for,, lol don't know how to say it without getting modded here.. End bleed raw ERCM gives me a stiffy!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

I've been hearing that everywhere I go, ERCM is the shizzy!
But was that Glens 5.9? (Budbud)

I really want, well my member is hard for,, lol don't know how to say it without getting modded here.. End bleed raw ERCM gives me a stiffy!

yes that is Glens 5.9
Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought you only did one 5.9 and that was Budbuds.
Not looking to have any work done to make my POS more volitile![X(]
Just looking to get by with what I have.
BTW sweet work..[8D]
Old 05-13-2011, 09:39 PM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

I thought you only did one 5.9 and that was Budbuds.
Not looking to have any work done to make my POS more volitile![X(]
Just looking to get by with what I have.
BTW sweet work..[8D]

that is correct...I have only done one 5.9....
Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 AM
savagecommander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

and how did the modded engine perform? something tells me you never ran it on the dyno....
Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 AM
llkoolskillet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ERCM 221t is NASTY!!! It makes my 086 pipe sound like crap. The power increase is crazy too. Worth every penny!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

ERCM 221t is NASTY!!! It makes my 086 pipe sound like crap. The power increase is crazy too. Worth every penny!
do find the 086 actually quite quiet?...I just got an lrp 30 /dynamite 086. first tank last night actually tuning for power and i am very happy with it. but i have to say its not overly loud. (at least it doesnt seem to me) now i have also been breaking in a brand new losi aftershock ltd. edition...and let me tell you ...i have never heard a more annoyingly loud engine/pipe....its ear piercing but sounds like crap....hell i own the thing and want to kick it across the lawn....lol
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 AM
supertib

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The OFNA 086 is much louder then the Dynamite 086...it also makes more power to boot ! tho they both say 086 they are quite different in both tone and performance...
Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 AM
steed2-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dammit so i purchased the wrong one..[:@][:@][:@]

Search this Thread