Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Nitro to brushless conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
savycharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro to brushless conversion?

I am thinking about starting a brushless conversion project. I am converting one of my old .25 to brushless power.
Heres what i plan on getting...

Mamba monster brushless motor and esc...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...=CSEMONBCM2200

Conversion kit....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ion-Kit-Savage

And the batteries ill figure that out later.

What do you think? If i should get a different brushless motor and esc package please say so. If there is a better conversion kit please say so.
I am wanting ALL of your guys input.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Nitro to brushless conversion?

I would just get the flux transmission too. That way you can remove the throttle brake servo.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 PM
cika
My Feedback: (35)

I dont know if this helps yousave some cash...I just converted a stanard E savage to a brushless monster with shimmed diffs, GCM hardened steel CVD's, extended CGM a arms and GCM brushless chassie, GCM chassie plates,etc. I installed the Sensorless, Black RTR version of XErun 80A cont / 380A peak  ESC and a AMMO 3656 1800kv brushless motor. This motor cost me $60 total at my local Hobby Shop. It reccomended running voltage is 14.4-22.8 volts. It has to be one of the smoothest running motors Ive ever ran. I have ran,Ezrun,Traxxas,Dynamite C4,Castle, even Tacon green motors. And theres NO cogging what so ever. I watched a tutorial on these motors and they have a patented wound and "rare earth magnets" which completely eleminate all cogging. On 4s this motor after heavy bashing sessions and multipal spped runs up and down the street, across yards and some with tall grass the motor stays suprisingly cool. Geared 18/68, 32p it tops out at 138. Its shurly worth looking into for 1/8 applications. It has great speed, even in an 17 lb truck. It has mass amounts of torque as well. I had to turn the "punch" down on the esc to keep it frim flipping over. It easily reaches 35 mph which IMO is fin for a heavy 1/8 alum. MT. I dont know if you'll even consider this option for your truck. But Im always looking for the best performance at the best prices. I also own a few ez/Xe run esc's for 1/10 and 1/8. There very adjustable and some of my Ezruns have over 100 runs in rain,mud,snow,hot summer beach bashing at the lake and no problems yet. 
Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't get that ESC/motor
I had it in my conversion and it gets pretty damn hot after 10 mins on 4s if I remember right that ESC is only rated 80 amps (I saw it after I bought it) I would recommend 120-150amps for a savage.

but if you do get it buy another pinion gear the one they give with it is absolute crap. Mine all the teeth grinded off and it became a perfect circle after 10 seconds of use... I had to get a hardened steel pinion. Also you might want the flux's spur which is 43t.

as far as transmission goes you only need to replace the idler gear with the flux's to get full reverse and forward (a $7 part)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9675598 my conversion if you need ideas
Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM
whipnet

I went with a Tekin setup for mine.

Here's my walk-through if it helps:
http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/savag...onversion.html

Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 PM
canas11267
My Feedback: (2)

whipnet

Hey I was looking at your profile and love your savage xl (flm) where did you get the shocks for this? You said they are baja 5b correct? was there any thing extra needed for installation?? Also, Did you paint your own lid?? I have never done it but have been thinking about it.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: canas11267

whipnet

Hey I was looking at your profile and love your savage xl (flm) where did you get the shocks for this? You said they are baja 5b correct? was there any thing extra needed for installation?? Also, Did you paint your own lid?? I have never done it but have been thinking about it.
I hate to keep shamelessly pimping my links, but I have 2 that cover both of your questions. (Oh and thanks BTW)
Baja 5B shocks: http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/savage.5b.shockmod.html
Painting lids: http://www.rccoh.com/IMG/paint/index.html