Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Freeze's Savage Flux "Frostbyte II" build thread

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Freeze's Savage Flux "Frostbyte II" build thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze's Savage Flux "Frostbyte II" build thread

Allright, so at long last, the "Frostbyte II" build has begun! This has been in the planning stages for time, right up to selling my first Savage Flux "Frostbyte" in January of this year to help afford a Baja 5T that i've been thinking about getting for the last three years. After having experienced owning and driving a Baja for awhile, I soon began to miss the simplicity, speed and just the flat out fun I had bashing my original Savage Flux. I missed being able to bounce around during crashes, fly sky high off of jumps and go screaming fast at high speed with nothing but a dust trail. About that time, I was beginning to get tired of the maintenance costs of owning a Baja, as much fun as it was. I hadn't planned it turning into such a money pit, especially for a secondary hobby.

The final nail on the coffin of my Baja ownership happened after our beloved local bash pit was gated off earlier this year. Now not only did I loose the perfect spot to run my Baja in, I had only a few other's area' I could run it in without the noise becoming an issue with neighbors. I soon began thinking about "Frostbyte" and how much fun I had bashing and zipping around with it and having to worry about noise, fuel leaks and other caveats that came with Baja ownership. I soon began to think and dream of ways I could have improved my "Frostbyte" build in many area's. I was also so proud and amazed that "Frostbyte" made into the readers rides section of four major RC publications! With that, I knew had to create a new Savage Flux build to follow up on "Frostbyte's" success, I just had to! And thus, the "Frostbyte II" project was born...

The thought eventually turned into a dream and then into a desire and eventually, an obsession. At that point I made my decision. Within the last few weeks, I parted ways with my Baja 5T, saved up money and accrued the beginning modifications and upgrades with which to start project "Frostbyte II" I was able to secure the new "updated" Savage Flux from my LHS for $605 within the last week as well. After alot of researching, forum surfing and energy drinks, I had my final design plans laid out for "Frostbyte II" I had simple goals with this build:

1. Bigger, better, stronger, faster and colder then the original
2. Improved handling at higher speeds
3. Better looks and color design layout
4. Able to withstand heavy bashing and crashes with minimal breakages and part failure
5. Maintain a balance of visual appeal with actual usability and practicality
6. Impress and please no other people other then myself
7. All upgrades and mods must have a purpose, no useless eye candy
8. Give homage to the first Frostbyte while having its own distinct look

With the design plan set, my mind made up and a good portion of the mods already ordered, it was at long last time to begin the "Frostbyte II" build!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Freezetron

Default RE: Freeze's Savage Flux

Part 1: The Teardown

Allright, time to get this baby prepped up for its transformation! First to go are the stock wheels and tires which I will sell to help offset the building costs.

Next are the bulkheads and arms which will also be sold. The included bulletproof diffs are an awesome in box upgrade, thanks HPI!

Now lets remove everything else that can be detached from the frame...

2.4ghz radio, bulletproof diffs and stronger steering servo but still no HD main drive gear upgrade. Owell.....

The heart and soul of the Flux removed. Its pretty awesome as is, not much will change here during build.

We'll call it a day, that's a good start me thinks. Sometimes to make things better, ya gotta rebuild from the ground up! Stay tuned!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 PM
sharkattack99

looking forward to this build
Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

you've been busy!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 AM
del1969

Man you dont wast no time.
When you get it like you want it , I have a 5t I will trade you for.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Freezetron

It's become recently apparent that i've either raised expectations higher then I thought I would with this build or people are just expecting certain criteria in order for this build to be a "success" or just "good enough" Everything from titanium screws all the way up to carbon fiber battery tray holders have been asked and or demanded from me on this build to satisfy peoples demands

I stated plainly in #6 goal of this build from the beginning:

Impress and please no other people other then myself

That being the case, I'm speccing this build to my liking and desires, so if you were hoping for a pimped out bling bling ride with carbon fiber screws, I suggest you lower your expectations and or look to someone elses work to praise and critic.

And that goes for anyone else who's getting hyped up about this. Yes, I plan on making this build better then my first one and im excited about it but I also have to be realistic about my goals. I want it to be better but better IN MY EYES only, no one else's. I am limited on funds for something like this, so I simply cannot and will not throw on fancy, expensive stuff willy nilly into the build just impress the crowd. Sorry, but I am NOT doing this as a popularity contest. Feel free to unsubscribe to the thread and ignore it from this point forward if your bummed out.

I do appreciate suggestions and incite but belligerent forced and rude suggestions of "Upgrade with this awezomes parts or uz a farking cheepaz noob!" or "A real man would spend this money and get this upgrade cause it rocks or this build and you totally suck" That does nothing to help me and makes me feel compelled to do less.

Thank you for the understanding.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where there a bunch of posts removed? I think I missed something.....
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM
sharkattack99

Just a suggestion but u could go XL lenght and width with frostbyte II more stable for bashing and something new for 2,
Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
del1969

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

It's become recently apparent that i've either raised expectations higher then I thought I would with this build or people are just expecting certain criteria in order for this build to be a ''success'' or just ''good enough'' Everything from titanium screws all the way up to carbon fiber battery tray holders have been asked and or demanded from me on this build to satisfy peoples demands

I stated plainly in #6 goal of this build from the beginning:

Impress and please no other people other then myself

That being the case, I'm speccing this build to my liking and desires, so if you were hoping for a pimped out bling bling ride with carbon fiber screws, I suggest you lower your expectations and or look to someone elses work to praise and critic.

And that goes for anyone else who's getting hyped up about this. Yes, I plan on making this build better then my first one and im excited about it but I also have to be realistic about my goals. I want it to be better but better IN MY EYES only, no one else's. I am limited on funds for something like this, so I simply cannot and will not throw on fancy, expensive stuff willy nilly into the build just impress the crowd. Sorry, but I am NOT doing this as a popularity contest. Feel free to unsubscribe to the thread and ignore it from this point forward if your bummed out.

I do appreciate suggestions and incite but belligerent forced and rude suggestions of ''Upgrade with this awezomes parts or uz a farking cheepaz noob!'' or ''A real man would spend this money and get this upgrade cause it rocks or this build and you totally suck'' That does nothing to help me and makes me feel compelled to do less.

Thank you for the understanding.
Alright lets get started.
When you get to lipos and such can explain them so a NOOB could understand.
I feel the same way about my 5t. I only do things for myself, and dont go for all the bling.
The body covers all that up anyway.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

you should install solid gold diff gears, and get platinum grease. Only noobs don't have solid 24 carat gold gears. You cheap punkzorz.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Freezetron

I'm starting to have second thoughts about the tire/wheel combo. I was going to reuse "Frostbyte's" combo of HPI GT-S tires with HPI dish wheels which worked very well and looked awesome IMO. However, after holding the stock Flux tires once again with my new Flux, I was reminded of how heavy they were and I noticed how my first Flux didn't seem to manuever in midflight as it did with the stock tires on it. I also seem to recall the truck wasn't as "zippy" as before.

I'm kinda stuck with what to do now. I really like the look of the GT-S tires, they grip awesome and they absorb alot of jump and crash energy. But I dunno if I want that amount of weight on the arms again, especially with the HPI axle extensions on them as I think it would result in more breakages, even with RPM arms during crashes. I don't wanna go back to knobby tires like proline's badlands because i'll just tear the crap out of them on concrete and I didn't like the look of the Proline mulchers at all.

Now i'm kinda wondering if I should just do the GT-2 tires on the dish wheel. Suggestions with pics would be greatly appreciated. I basically want to do it all with "Frostbyte II" From high speed concrete runs to climbing up dirt hills and everything in between, so I need a good all around tire that will last.

Below is what i've tried so far

Proline 3.2 Badlands with Proline VXL rims. VERY tight fit and badlands suck for concrete driving, so never again

HPI GT-S tires with Axial classic spoke rims. Great tires, POS rims. Stripped two of hubs within a few runs. Heavy tires though...

Proline 3.2 Mashers with HPI Dish wheel. Hated look so much, never ran them once.

My personal favorite. HPI white dish wheels with HPI GT-S tires. Looks awesome and grip like ****'s but damn, they were heavy

Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 AM
del1969

I really like the look of the GT-S tires, but they are heavy.
Try the stock flux tire on some dish wheels, and see how they work out.
You can always switch around.
I had some traxxas chevron off a tmaxx on my savage, and they a great tire for the dirt.
I whould mount them backwards to get some really good traction.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Freezetron

I'm thinking of just ordering a pair of new GT-2 tires and put them on the white dishs. It would be a good balance of looks, performance and weight I think.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Freezetron

What are peeps opinions about HPI Dirt Claws? Will they last long on concrete usage vs GT2 or GTS tires?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
del1969

I had some dirt claws on my savage x, and they are a great all around tire.
They are not very heavy.
Check out the losi zombie maxx tires, the are very good to.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie is a big fan of the stock X/X4.6/Flux tires. He would run those on stock wheels.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
rc person 577

I ran 10 packs through my stock flux and the tires are like brand new. The rims, 3 are now stirpped and off to HPI.

Tires: GREAT wear, great on-road, and good off-road, overall good tire.
Rims: Chrome flakes easily, strips easily.

Are the HPI dish wheels less likely to to strip?

Sorry to ask questions on your thread, but I saw you said something about bad stock rims and wondering if the dishes are better.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

rc person, just out of curiosity, are you running your Flux on 6S?

ThunderbirdJunkie has had fantastic luck with stock Savage wheels (he runs them almost exclusively) and his truck isn't really any slower than a Flux, it just doesn't have that INSTANT-ON rip from a standstill. Any pictures of the wheels rounded out?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: rc person 577

I ran 10 packs through my stock flux and the tires are like brand new. The rims, 3 are nowstirpped and off to HPI.

Tires: GREAT wear, great on-road, and good off-road, overall good tire.
Rims: Chrome flakes easily, strips easily.

Arethe HPI dish wheels less likely to to strip?

Sorry to ask questions on your thread, but I saw you said something about bad stock rims and wondering if the dishes are better.

Ihad no issues with my dish wheels stripping nor my stock chrome wheels from my first flux. Yeah, the crome comes off easily, hence whyI sold these. My axial rims stripped easily, they were crap

Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 AM
CR500rider

Fricken amazing.....you have managed to clutter almost EVERY r/c forum with this thread. Word for word exact duplicates even.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 AM
HJJFFFAA

Freezebyte mind telling me what forums you AREN'T on?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 AM
rc person 577

I would post pics, but they are on their way to HPI...

I am running on 4s, 25% punch control, 9 motor timing, and low start power. The guy on the phone said that it is usually from over tightening the wheels, is this true? 

Although, these have all been on the right rear corner (swapping tires around). I even tried gluing them in with JB quick weld, and let them set for 3 days. Within 1/2 a pack, they all were rounded. [:@]

By the way, can't wait to see how Frostbyte II comes out.  
Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: rc person 577
The guy on the phone said that it is usually from over tightening the wheels, is this true?
Absolutely not, at least not with the 1/8 buggy hub setup ThunderbirdJunkie has had on his truck for several years now.

He puts some TORQUE on those suckers and they don't go anywhere.

What ThunderbirdJunkie HAS noticed with the stock X-generation nuts, however, is that the nylock insert seems to wear out faster than the old 21/25/SS/4.6SS nylock nuts, and they back out a bit fairly easily.

ITBJHO you may as well upgrade to 23mm hubs if you're having that much of an issue with stripping out wheels.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:47 PM
rc person 577

Do you think the dishes would hold up better? Have you had any experience with the dish wheels?

The first wheel stripped half way thruogh the first pack! The next one was on the 8th pack, then the third was on the end of the 8th pack, then I was out of wheels...

I don't like being scared to drive it, every time I grab the trigger I cringe.
Thanks a lot!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

No experience with the dishes. FT apparently had issues with his 17mm Axial wheels, and ThunderbirdJunkie had a set of those with no issues.

Next set are a set of Mugen 5 spoke truggy wheels, we'll see how those hold up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.