Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Brushless Systems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Khraih

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Brushless Systems?

Hey Guys, I`m 14 and got a free Savage X SS last year in home schooling, (we have a budget from the government to get educational stuff for home schooling) and now this year I want to try and get a brushless system for my Savy, any suggestions? I would like to keep it as low as possible (probably under $250) and I know I cant get a Flux system or something, I was looking at things like this - http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-combo-m3a.html (yeah I know they aren`t the greatest, just a suggestion). So I`m looking to swap out the 4.6 and put a brushless system in, what will I need to do this?
Thanks Guys!

Ray
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Savage Brushless Systems?

The hobbywing stuff gets great reviews, and the Hobbywing 35a system in ThunderbirdJunkie's on road car has been decent.

Can't speak for that specific model, though. Good luck, Ray!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 PM
rc person 577

Sell the nitro stuff and buy a Tekin RX8.
That's my vote.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Khraih

Thanks TBJ! I think I have something firgured out, a "Novak HV Pro Brushless System 6.5T w/5mm Rotor" motor and ESC combo for $170, and then the HPI Flux mount and battery compartments, and a LiPo Charger and a 2S LiPo, all that is a little over $250, but what size pinion should I use? RC Person, I`m gonna put the big block in my T-Maxx, but that system is pretty expensive..
Here`s the links to what I`m thinking - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUYD8&P=7 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWVC3&P=7 - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWVC7&P=7 And then just a Duratrax 2S LiPo and a $40 charger from HP.com

Ray
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Ray, one thing to remember; the Flux mount won't work with most motors. It's built to clamp around the can, and the Castle motor the Flux comes with is 40mm diameter. It would definitely behoove you to look into building your own mount or using something that's preexisting for 36mm motors for that Novak.

Should have some parts here in the next couple days so hopefully will have some pictures for an example.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
etivac13

i'm currently using that hobbywing xerun 150A and the 4274 motor on my flux... you have to mod the motor mount.. it wont fit the 4274...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

etivac, what mount are you using?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM
etivac13

i'm using the stock flux mount.... took it to the machine shop and had them fit the motor...
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Khraih

So the Novak is too small for the Flux mount? How did you do it etivac? Anyone know what else I can use?

Ray
Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Khraih

Could I cut down that little black tube thing where the screw goes through and bend the mount down a bit make it fit?

Ray
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM
rc person 577

I would go with 3s or 4s, it will be not very fast with only 2s... make sure your batteries can supply enough amps (mah*c rating/1000) I would say at least 150 amps to be safe, 5000mah 30c. If they can't, you will cog a lot, and your batteries will get hot and maybe puff up (not good).

good luck, Novak's are very good systems.

Maybe get that ESC with a Castle motor. idk, just a thought...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Khraih

ORIGINAL: rc person 577

I would go with 3s or 4s, it will be not very fast with only 2s... make sure your batteries can supply enough amps (mah*c rating/1000) I would say at least 150 amps to be safe, 5000mah 30c. If they can't, you will cog a lot, and your batteries will get hot and maybe puff up (not good).

Yeah I want to go with 4s, but then it would be over $300, so I`m just gonna get the 2s for now (probably wont even use it till I get another). How fast would you guys say a Savy can go with that Novak? Oh yeah and what size pinion should I use? I`m also thinking of getting a Mamba Monster for $270 instead..

Ray
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Khraih

ORIGINAL: rc person 577

Yeah I want to go with 4s, but then it would be over $300, so I`m just gonna get the 2s for now (probably wont even use it till I get another). How fast would you guys say a Savy can go with that Novak? Oh yeah and what size pinion should I use? I`m also thinking of getting a Mamba Monster for $270 instead..

Ray
I got the mamba monster tried it in my Savage .25 conversion don't recommend it. I got the 2200kv and that sucker backflips faster than hell on 4S after I dropped its gearing down. It was also getting extremely hot very fast. Also the pinion it comes with is crap I turned the castle pinion into a shiny tiny wheel in 15 seconds with the wheels of the savage off the ground. IMO The NEU motors VERY nice, too powerful for most applications(hell my truggy its in now does backflips at half throttle and I geared that low too). The ESC I really don't like I've had issues getting it to work with my radio I had, and had to buy another radio to use it.

Side not you will need a few parts to do the conversion. In the tranny you will need a flux idler gear(around $7-9) to get the ESC to reverse, and break. You also might need stronger dogbones. Also a way to mount the batteries. When I made mine I tried keeping as many stock parts as possible. In the next month or 2 I'm going to order that same HW combo cause I've only had good experiences with my HW esc's

And for lipos you can always look at hobbyking. They sell them very reasonably. I use 2X 2S 5200 30C hardcases and they don't even get warm going full throttle non stop . You will need 4S cause the power draw off a 2S will damage it
Old 08-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Khraih

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
I got the mamba monster tried it in my Savage .25 conversion don't recommend it. I got the 2200kv and that sucker backflips faster than hell on 4S after I dropped its gearing down. It was also getting extremely hot very fast. Also the pinion it comes with is crap I turned the castle pinion into a shiny tiny wheel in 15 seconds with the wheels of the savage off the ground. IMO The NEU motors VERY nice, too powerful for most applications(hell my truggy its in now does backflips at half throttle and I geared that low too). The ESC I really don't like I've had issues getting it to work with my radio I had, and had to buy another radio to use it.

Side not you will need a few parts to do the conversion. In the tranny you will need a flux idler gear(around $7-9) to get the ESC to reverse, and break. You also might need stronger dogbones. Also a way to mount the batteries. When I made mine I tried keeping as many stock parts as possible. In the next month or 2 I'm going to order that same HW combo cause I've only had good experiences with my HW esc's

And for lipos you can always look at hobbyking. They sell them very reasonably. I use 2X 2S 5200 30C hardcases and they don't even get warm going full throttle non stop . You will need 4S cause the power draw off a 2S will damage it
Yeah I dont know if I`m gonna get the Mamba, pretty expensive (not really compared to others lol!) I think I`ll stick with the Novak. You said you got a 2200kv and it backflips, is that the Mamba? Do you have a link to the idler gear? I think the X SS dog bones will be good, it says they are heavy duty! I was just going to get the Flux battery boxes and mod then to fit. I`m gonna squeeze in another 2S so then I will have 4s total. How fast do you think a Savy will be with the Novak HV Pro 6.5T (or is the 5.5 better?) on 4S? I guess it wont be able to do a standing backflip like the Flux, lol. Thanks man!

Ray
Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Yeah I dont know if I`m gonna get the Mamba, pretty expensive (not really compared to others lol!) I think I`ll stick with the Novak. You said you got a 2200kv and it backflips, is that the Mamba? Do you have a link to the idler gear? I think the X SS dog bones will be good, it says they are heavy duty! I was just going to get the Flux battery boxes and mod then to fit. I`m gonna squeeze in another 2S so then I will have 4s total. How fast do you think a Savy will be with the Novak HV Pro 6.5T (or is the 5.5 better?) on 4S? I guess it wont be able to do a standing backflip like the Flux, lol. Thanks man!

Ray
HPI100905 was the gear its like $8 on ebay

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9675598 pics of mine I slapped stampede chassis to the side to make battery box's for now. Eventually I want to pick up Flux TVP's (maybe the XL ones) and flux battery box's but they work fine for now
Old 08-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Khraih

HPI100905 was the gear its like $8 on ebay

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9675598 pics of mine I slapped stampede chassis to the side to make battery box's for now. Eventually I want to pick up Flux TVP's (maybe the XL ones) and flux battery box's but they work fine for now
Just added the idler set, $8 from Tower. With that it can reverse right? Super sweet build man, looks great!!! Looks just like the actual Flux! I hope mine will be like that. Do you think the Novak will be like yours in the video, like be able to wheelie and the power and stuff?

Ray
Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

If its 2200kv it probably will flip. Ohh yea you will need a new spur gear the 52t will be slow as hell.
I dropped it to 12t pinion gear which keeps it off its top somewhat. In 10 minutes of testing I actually wrecked a new lexan shell and ate a good chunk off the roll bar.
Side note what ever way you go ESC wise be sure to set it to drag brake. Before I changed the setting on the MM combo the truck would literally flip forward on braking and fly like 9 feet (main reason the shell I mentioned above was trashed)
Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Khraih

If its 2200kv it probably will flip. Ohh yea you will need a new spur gear the 52t will be slow as hell.
I dropped it to 12t pinion gear which keeps it off its top somewhat. In 10 minutes of testing I actually wrecked a new lexan shell and ate a good chunk off the roll bar.
Side note what ever way you go ESC wise be sure to set it to drag brake. Before I changed the setting on the MM combo the truck would literally flip forward on braking and fly like 9 feet (main reason the shell I mentioned above was trashed)
Yep, it`s a 2200KV, but whats better, the 5.5T or 6.5T? Isn`t the 5.5 faster? Actually it`s a 47T steel spur, and I dont really want to change it so what`s the best pinion? Haha, with the nitro engine it flips from wheelies alot, like half of my rollbar is shaved off!

Ray
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Khraih

Okay everyone, I`m gonna be getting doing to brushless conversion soon, but I need to know what is a good overall size pinion for speed and torque with a 47 tooth spur running the Novak 5.5 brushless system, I need to know ASAP!

Thanks!
Ray
Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay everyone, I`m gonna be getting doing to brushless conversion soon, but I need to know what is a good overall size pinion for speed and torque with a 47 tooth spur running the Novak 5.5 brushless system, I need to know ASAP!

Thanks!
Ray
I personally would use a different BL seup then the Novak.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
mac3194
My Feedback: (2)

i would go with an 18T pinnion
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Khraih

ORIGINAL: mac3194

i would go with an 18T pinnion
Wow, I was thinking 14 lol. So does everyone think 18 is good?

Ray
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Khraih

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

I personally would use a different BL seup then the Novak.
Have any other suggestions? I cant really go any higher, with all the other stuff it comes to about $300..

Ray

Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
mac3194
My Feedback: (2)

well stock gearing on a savage flux is 42/20 so i think 18 is good with a 47... well thats what im running. i think u should get the hobby wing esc instead of the novak or try to find a good deal on a used mamba monster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.