Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

4.6 Driving me Crazy.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 PM
ERK419

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 Driving me Crazy.

I have a very similiar problem as another member in here.

As some of you know by my other posts I have just got back in the hobby after being out of it for a couple years. I'm trying to get the engine tuned but are running into troubles. Here are my problems! I have a Savage X 4.6 RTR.

I put my truck on blocks so the wheels are off the ground. As soon as I fire it up the wheels start spinning like crazy. I tried messing with the throttle trim but doesn't help. I set the throttle trim back to neutral and started messing with the idle screw. Depending on which way I go the idle get higher and lower but the wheels are still going crazy. As soon as I hit the brakes the engine dies. Some times to get it to fire up I have to bleep the gas and most of the time to keep it running I have to bleep the gas it still doesn't run to long. I figure this is a tunning issue but as long as my wheels are going crazy and using the brake kills the engine I can't even begin to start tuning. Anyone have any ideas this is driving me crazy! I 've been working on this for the last 2 days!

Thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 11:04 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Default RE: 4.6 Driving me Crazy.

Take off your servo horn before setting your trim to zero with the radio on.

Set your idle gap to 1mm or the thickness of a credit card using the idle screw, the other needles are set flush.

Close the slide and reinstall the servo horn and make sure the carb closes at neutral making minor adjustments to your trim to achieve this.

Hope that helps, if it still idles high you prolly have an air leak.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
ERK419

Thanks a lot for your reply I had to order a few parts so I wont be trying again tell sat but I'll definitely try this. I sealed my engine when I first got it but if the other things you mentioned don't work I'll try resealing it again. Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your sealing job. I never seal a brand new engine. When and if a problem arises is when you seal. In the 16yrs I have been doing this I have only needed to seal one engine. Check your seals again bcuz it does sound like an air leak.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 PM
ERK419

I sealed it two years ago when first got it. I ran about a gallon in it and got out of the hobby tell now. It ran great 2 years ago but the tunning was all out of whack when I put it up. I'll remember that though when I get another engine about not sealing it unless a problem comes up. How would I be able to tell if there is a air leak?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 AM
SLAYERDUDE

If the leak is bad enough to cause revving you can cover the carb with your finger and the engine won't die immediately like it should.
Otherwise look for wetness around suspect leak areas, or brush soapy water around those areas and blow into the fuel line while covering the carb and exh (header removed) with your fingers and watch for tiny bubbles.
The front bearing seeping while doing this is normal, but not like you can just blow thru it.
You can also run with air cleaner on and spray nitro cleaner around/on suspect areas and if the idle drops or the engine dies, there's your leak.

Hope that helps.