Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Problems Starting Savage

Old 09-11-2010, 02:12 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems Starting Savage

I am recently starting to chase a tune when I changed out my glow plug on my Savage 4.6 as the old one was burnt out. For the past year it has started within a few turns of the roto start.

After I put in a new plug (Duratrax LR3 hot) it would not start at all. Ispent 2 hours turning the roto start over an over. I put the needles back to factory setting (HSNflush and LSNflush according to the manual). Pissed off I called it a day and went home.

I tried it again inside my house and on the first turn it started right up! As soon as I was outside again it would not start. I leaned out the HSN little by little and still nothing. By then the roto start and the glow plug igniter had been drained.

Indoor temperature was around 77 degrees and outside was around 93 degrees. Am I adjusting the HSN incorrectly?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Problems Starting Savage

just run it in the house from now on, it must be one of those indoor savages

sorry I can't help, I just wanted to make a smart-a** remark
Old 09-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird, but minor temp changes may affect the mixture. I sort of doubt indoor/outdoor had anything to do with it, but....

Anyway, try setting your throtle trim on the TX up a little bit when starting. If the engine is fussy, it will most prevalent at idle, so with a little throttle applied, it may start much easier.

I have to do it in cold weather,, so maybe it will help in hot weather too ???
Old 09-11-2010, 06:24 PM
wolfie1

should you not be running a cold or medium cold plug in a f4.6? i usually run mccoy plugs in mine and when i put an lrp 1 in i had to retune to the plug
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
alexchen86

Well I figured out why it wouldn't start...the LSN was waaay too rich. It's also pretty hard to figure that out since my roto start is messed up. I can only spin it for a split second otherwise it will not catch lol. I figure it's the one way bearing causing this. But the weird thing is when I take the glow plug out I can see the motor spinning in the chamber. Is this a OWB issue or something else?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably a OWB issue. With plug out, there is no compression, so OWB doesn't slip. When plug is in, the compression is enough to make the OWB slip.