RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Wheely King for a 7 year old? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/10528962-wheely-king-7-year-old.html)

dragonbat13 05-19-2011 03:39 AM

Wheely King for a 7 year old?

Heres the deal, My boy is gonna be 7 in July. This gives me enough time to research. The sitituation is that I am new to the hobby and I just got a Savage XL about a two months ago, great fun.

HOWEVER

Its impractical to drive the truck in the trailer park and in smaller places as you know for a beginner like me let alone a seven year old. So I want to get him his own truck.

Main thing is it needs to be electric. I like my nitro truck but it would be easier on me and him if it were electric.

Four wheel drive or two wheel drive doesnt matter.

He does drive my truck and is better than I expected with it.

One truck I was looking at was a Kheely King. They look like there fast enough to enjoy and can do other things he is gonna want to do.

Is this truck durable enough for him and is it fast enough and fun enough to keep him interested in it,
Or does anybody have any other suggestions?

moezer 05-19-2011 04:56 AM

RE: Wheely King for a 7 year old?

nothing wrong with a wheely king looks good and every thing and HPI stands behind its products good, the main thing u want to look for is will it have parts at the hobby store right away if you break some thing on it... If parts is not supported good at ur hobby shop then i would get him a 2 wheen drive traxxas stampede, or a 4x4 traxxas slash, any hobby shop u go in too will carry parts for these 2 and there ESC has 3 settings u can pick from.

setting 1 is 100% forward 100% reverse and 100% brake or 50% i think, dont remember

setting 2 is 100% forward and 100% brake no reverse

setting 3 is for kids and that has 50% forward 50% reverse and 100% brake

hope this helps GL

dragonbat13 05-19-2011 05:19 AM

The LHS doesnt exist in my town. Closest is an hour away.

I didnt know it has different settings. I will check out the traxxas stuff also.

Thanks for such a quick reply.

dexterd 05-19-2011 02:46 PM

been around the wheely king and stampede, that said i would get him the stampede. it is faster ,but it also has a training mode that limits power to 50%. also its much more durable and water resistant.

-SomeGuy- 05-19-2011 02:54 PM

If it needs to be electric then I would get a flux. The reason I say this is because you wont have to have two trucks to keep spares for, except for a few specific parts. You could even salvage from one to fix the other.

dexterd 05-21-2011 08:02 AM

Flux , I would have to say that is a terriable idea considering that he's 7 yrs old. i have a x and a xl and i like the savages but the stampede is perfect for kids . my kids stampede has been quite durable and it's got lots of jam for a kid.

-SomeGuy- 05-21-2011 08:59 AM

why is the flux a bad idea? Its the most solid of them all, can be adjusted to be slow and uses the same parts as the truck he already owns...

SyCo_VeNoM 05-21-2011 09:02 AM

wheely king is aight
Like it more than I liked my stampede
I run the traxxas electronics in mine though so I can drive it in wet situations though :D
IMO its a better deal for the cash specially seeing it doesn't sound like you want to make it got 50 MPH, or add a BL setup(the tranny has issues with melting with BL unless alot of work is done).
I actually went to a slower motor in mine cause I found the 27t to be too fast for what I wanted.

rclugnut10 05-21-2011 10:22 AM

i kinda have to agree with the flux statement yes even the 2350 is a beast on only 4s, but with castle link and a little time, you could seriously detune the esc, i've tuned my evader down so it has trouble driving up a small grade, and then on the other end of the spectrum it'll flip it's self onto it's lid no second thoughts...

the lug