RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Temps Warming Up = NITRO TIME! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/10946777-temps-warming-up-%3D-nitro-time.html)

alexchen86 02-06-2012 01:06 PM

Temps Warming Up = NITRO TIME!

Well it's been a while since I've ran any nitro car/truck/buggy. Been missing nitro lately since I still have a bunch of nitro accessories. (O.S. LC3 Hot Long Reach plugs, lipo igniter, fuel bottle, after-run oil, air filter oil, plus a full gallon of VP Powermaster 20%). I sold all my bump boxes and do not plan on using one anymore...unless I got 1/8 on road nitro.

Since then I've sold all my nitros and the only combustion rig I run is my Baja SS.

Now I'm looking for a mild off road basher no intentions on racing (just bashing around at skate parks, street, and a dirt BMX track). Top speed looking for 50mph tops. Only requirements I'm looking for is a RTR 2.4Ghz, 4WD, and can accept my current LC3 long reach plugs, and easy to work on. I'm not going to use the stock radio and use my Futaba 4PL instead.

Plan on purchasing all new (budger $400-600):

1). Bullet ST 3.0 (wish the hubs were 12mm not 14mm for more tire/wheel options!! and wish it came with a roto-start...i know I can toss in the upgrade)
2). RS4 MT2 G3.0 (Oldie I know...and hard to find plus I've read the diffs are weak but does come with a roto-start system)
2). Savage XL 5.9
3). Savage X 4.6
3). Revo 3.3 (Any upgrades on the Revo 3.3 besides that it's wider and running 17mm finally?)

I've owned a Savage X and a Revo back in the day both weren't hard to work on which is why I'm interested in trying out the Savage XL. Been reading the new Savages have upgraded diffs/outputs/tranny which is a definite plus.

<br type="_moz" />

209mark123 02-06-2012 01:49 PM

RE: Temps Warming Up = NITRO TIME!

Personally Ireally like my savage 4.6 really nice truck and very durable. Icant say Ifound it hard to work on everything comes apart real nice. Ihavent touched it in quite a while though since Irecently bought the savage xs flux. Ever since I got that Ihave converted over to brushless. Waiting on my savage flux hp to get here now.

PrjctStrtFrce 02-11-2012 02:58 PM

All of those are easy to work on. I have both the Savages, MT2, and mini E-Revo. The MT2 would be the closest thing to on-road out of that bunch and easiest to drive at high speeds. The XL in my opinion would be the best off road basher due to its added length, width, and height. All of those have a lot to offer with hop-ups. Ebay has a lot of chop-shops that you can get loads of stock parts for all of those vehicles.

SyCo_VeNoM 02-11-2012 05:20 PM

owned 2 HPI RS4 MT's
One a MT2 (suckers been a lemon since day one) other was a MT1 that broke 1 part only but ran great (dismantled it)
Stopped running them due to getting a Jammin X1 CR which in all honesty is almost exactly the same size, clearance, and wheelbase as the MT2. But it put preforms it in every regard that I care about (Durability, and steering)

If you do go MT2 get the GPM steering knuckles immediately one thing I tell all new owners seeing the MT2 likes to eat them up.

Love the Savage X only issue I've ever had was the rear carriers which I swapped out to integy HD ones (Yes I use an integy part wish some other place would make a decent one:()

dodgedude780 02-11-2012 07:36 PM

For general Bashing I have to say Savage X4.6 all the way, Its a bit funner than the XL when it comes to jumping and flipping.

Plus, for ten years its been designed and re-designed specifically for back yard bashing. Thats why it sucks so much on the track and tarmac. lol

djyjrlz 02-12-2012 08:57 AM

yup the x 4.6 gets my vote on this one, loads of fun to bash, relativity good rtr engine (unlike the XL) and it jumps and flips nicely. solid as a rock too.

alexchen86 02-13-2012 02:55 PM

Well somewhat of a LHS near me had a brand new Savage 5.9 XL on consignment with the upgraded diff casings/dog bones/outputs/brakes for a price of $470! The owner is a good friend of mine and what happened was the buyer had to put it on consignment as he was going through a divorce.

Couldn't pass up that deal! Fired up the Savvy and broke her in over the weekend...man how I miss nitro!

With HPI's new XL bodies out I forsee new ones from Proline as well in the upcoming future. What's weird was the 1200mah NiMh pack wouldn't hold a consistent charge. As soon as it was fully charged maybe after 20 min the entire pack would die.

At first I thought it was the charger port on the housing itself...so I charged it directly on my Hitec X1. Same result...after about 20 min the receiver will lose input. I cycled the pack a few times haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Is this a fluke from HPI? Also the upgraded XL didn't come with the new 2.4ghz system which is kind of strange. LHS owner said he received the truck 8 months ago so it should have been the new release especially since it had the upgraded features from the older XL.

Can anyone chime in on the bad RX pack and the AM system?<br type="_moz" />

SyCo_VeNoM 02-13-2012 04:03 PM

I'm guessing his distributor had an old one in stock they sent him if it was 8 months ago still with an AM.
as for the battery pack no idea I personally use AA's due to the erratic nature in which I run my nitros (sometimes not for months due to weather, and other things popping up)

alexchen86 02-17-2012 08:15 AM

So the old one in stock you mentioned w/AM radio does it have HD aluminum diff cases in the 2.4Ghz version?<div>
</div><div>I noticed it had the upgraded fiberglass brake discs, HD outputs, and the beefier dog bones. So I'm assuming it's the newer model just with an AM radio?</div>

Ziggmiester 02-18-2012 09:37 PM

Always nice to smell that sweet nitro burning isn't it? Something keeps calling me back to nitro despite my Flux. Glad you're back into it! As far as the AM radio goes, it would appear it was just older stock that came with the upgraded diff cases. You said it was brand new right? Check the box or instructions to see what radio it was supposed to come with. The battery seems to be a more confusing issue. Did you buy the battery brand new? If the issue continues, I would use a voltmeter to make sure the battery is taking a full charge and go from there.

-Mike