RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Where to buy Diff Shims? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/11327334-where-buy-diff-shims.html)

Borneoben 12-11-2012 12:31 AM

Where to buy Diff Shims?

HI Guys

I want to shim the diffs on my new XL before i start running it but i cant find where to buy them?

I have even tried places like mcmaster-car but they dont have all the correct sizes available
http://www.mcmaster.com/#round-shims/=kjjhyh

Does anyone supply the shims needed as a set?
That would be perfect

Any pointers and links would be greatfully recieved

Thanks

Ben<br type="_moz" />

Zrock 12-11-2012 07:26 AM

RE: Where to buy Diff Shims?

have you pulled it apart and checked to see if it needed to be shimmed first? When i took mine apart i just needed to move a shim from one side to the other and it was perfect...

Borneoben 12-11-2012 11:06 AM

Ha!<div>
</div><div>Good point!</div><div>
</div><div>I pulled the front diff this evening to check it out and yes they do need shimming </div><div>
</div><div>I have asked quite a few industrial fastener suppliers if they can supply the shims but still waiting for an answer. </div><div>
</div><div>Cheers </div><div>
</div><div>Ben</div>

Zrock 12-11-2012 11:39 AM

do you have friends with a savage? if they have replaced their gears they should have extras the kits come with more.. or you could buy a new housing for around $13 (hpi site price ebay would be cheaper). Or search ebay and locate some shims the right size their are lots available. Mine still operated fine only broke the diff cuz someone smashed into a tree and kept the throttle pegged at some time.

Borneoben 12-11-2012 09:35 PM

Unfortunately i don't have any friends with Savages.<div>
</div><div>In fact only one of then has and RC truck we are mainly Plane, Heli and Multirotor Guys.</div><div>
</div><div>My XL is the fist RC truck i have owned for about 20 Years!! its mainly for just bashing when it is to windy to Fly.</div><div>
</div><div>I like to make sure all my stuff is in great mechanical condition so knowing that the Diffs need shimming and not being able to get the shims is driving me NUTZ!</div><div>
</div><div>I can get the new diff housing at the LHS but i dont want to spend that much on parts for just 3 washers. Plus i want to shim both diffs so i would need 2 of those.</div><div>
</div><div>There must be somewhere out there to get the correct size shims we need???</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

Zrock 12-12-2012 07:47 AM

Ya im the same way... But 99% of the savages out their probably never had work done to the diff new and most probably never had any problem... Have you tried contacting hpi directly if its new they will probably send some out under warranty

Borneoben 12-12-2012 11:40 AM

<div>Well</div><div>
</div><div>I Bit the Bullet and ordered the HPI parts, its not what i wanted to do and an expensive way of doing it but now i have all i need to get the job done properly. I should have enough left to shim the transmission as well.</div><div>
</div><div><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">1 x HPI 8x10x0.2mm Washer Set (10) (HPIZ877) = $4.59</span><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"/><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">1 x HPI 10x12x0.2mm Washer (10) (HPIZ892) = $3.69</span>
<span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">1 x HPI 6x15x0.2mm Washer Set (6) (HPI86972) = $3.69</span><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"/><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">2 x HPI Alloy Differential Case (HPI86827) = $23.50 (these come with the other large shims needed)</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">If someone dose find a source for these in bulk at good prices please let me know!</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Cheers</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Ben</span></div>