RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Reviving my Savage (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/11592522-reviving-my-savage.html)

BAT.Toby 01-03-2014 07:30 AM

Reviving my Savage

Hi all!
I have decided to dust off my savage and give it a new lease of life, but I've been away from the hobby for longer than i was in it, so you may consider me a noob.
way back in 2007 (i think?) I got a savage x for Christmas, I think I was about 13 or 14, bashed it a few times after running it in. after a few runs something went in the drive train. the car would sit stationary ans rev through first gear, then change in to second and shoot off uncontrollably.
Being 14 at the time i didn't have the patience or attention span to fix it. on new years day i decided that rather than have a £500 doorstop i was going to pull it apart fix it up tidy it ap and get back in to it.

when i pulled it out it was in much worse shape than i remember, Im ashamed of the neglect if im totally honest haha.

its got some surfate rust in places, however i think i may have already found the cause of the gearbox problem, the spring on the spur gear appears to be missing??
I'll upload pictures in a moment

I also have a few questions. as im missing a few screws i was going to get an RC screwz stainless steel screw replacement kit, but i noticed it was for the savage 21... will it have all the same screws as the X?

this is the kit,

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...products_id/50

also, plastic spur gear, or metal?

cheers for reading

*EDIT*
Pictures

Ok it won't let me upload the images.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-03-2014 07:55 AM

Save money just order a savage screw set off ebay looking at the bay right now I see one for $10 shipped for em all, and it comes with tools too for the actual screws taken off a savage ;)
search for "Savage X 4.6 SCREWS & TOOLS Set (T-Wrench) HPI 109083"

In all actuality a screw set for any savage(except the XS as that is a mini one ;)) would work as the screws are the same across the board. But why waste money on what I call magic screws(the ludicrously priced ones) Side note Stainless Steel is not a good on aluminum though (what the TVP's, and other parts are made of on the Savage) cause they cause a galvanic reaction which will cause corrosion.

Spur hmm that is all up to oneself a plastic one is better in a lot of ways as it will fail before it breaks anything in the drivetrain, but depending on the clutch bell it could possibly melt the spur(should have a vented clutch)... I have a hardened steel one on my savages as that is what they came with (bought em used), and never felt the need to swap

But be glad the Savage X has barely changed. Outside a few things I think the newer ones use the newer BP diffs (if you blow a diff, and want to upgrade you will need both as the gear ratio is different)

BAT.Toby 01-03-2014 08:50 AM

Oh cheers for the info on the screws Mate.

I do have a vented clutch bell, but i remember switching to hardened spur because i kept stripping the plastic.

I've been looking alot at the new RTR's and yeah it seems not much has changed really, like you say only the diff and some models come with the big bore shock upgrade out of the box.

for now im not going to bother with upgrades, jut the the bugger for running now.
I was a member on RCU way back when, but I cant for the life of me remember the account details:(

SyCo_VeNoM 01-03-2014 12:58 PM

Personally I wouldn't bother with the big bore shocks
Sure they make the suspension easier to set up, but from what I seen they also cause shock towers to break. I don't think I heard of a shock tower snapping till they did the change, and all the force is being put on one side instead of the 2 equally. But eh that's just my opinion plus I like the look of 4 shocks :D

Ohh and they now anodize the purple parts in orange that was one BIG change :D

But yea almost nothings changed for the most part.

BAT.Toby 01-03-2014 04:51 PM

yeah, why did they choose the change to orange? all my new parts wont match now :(