RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Savage 4.6 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/11607605-savage-4-6-a.html)

seth303 12-06-2014 04:57 PM

Savage 4.6

I'm giving the RTR to my son for Xmas, I'd like to purchase some spares with the order. Can anyone give me a quick list of extras we'll need that's most changed from regular use?

burnfuel 12-06-2014 07:11 PM

It seems that a lot of members here have problems stripping spur gears..so you should get a couple of those...

seth303 12-07-2014 01:27 PM

Thanks, got one with the alum shoes, beefier mounting plate, skid plate a few glow plugs, etc.

Other than those what else should I pack the box with that's prone to breaking?

SyCo_VeNoM 12-08-2014 07:35 PM

glow plugs really only thing you need spare
spur... shouldn't strip unless the mesh is really botched up

skid plate hmm I have one, but its not 100% needed. It depends where you plan on running. For awhile I would go to a bmx park tht had sharp points, and occasionaly would land on one the skid plate probably saved my tranny a few times. But if you plan to fun on grass, dirt, and paved areas its not really needed. I also have a tank guard for that reason. Again not needed, but it took a few hits.

Honestly the Savage X is probably one of the more damage tolerant trucks made as it takes quite a bit to break them

ONLY thing I would consider getting it a pull start as the roto starts kinda suck. They seem great at 1st, but mine started causing issues including breaking the brass bearing in the engine when the engine hydrolocked, and the roto start got stuck on(switch wouldn't disengage)... Also with a pull start you don't need to charge batteries ;)

Also a decent investment is the HPI stop switch(or something like that) which you press, and it pushed a piece of plastic into the flywheel to stop the engine quickly, and safely without damaging the engine as pinching will lean it out, and covering the exhaust could cause burns.. Its a really simple install too

seth303 12-08-2014 10:29 PM

Thanks SV, I've been searching the www for 3 days trying to form a list, I'll add the pull-start and stop-switch. It's been sometime since I've run a Nitro and expect to catch-on and gather my bearings fairly quickly once we start having fun. I just ordered the Integy tool set and looking forward to burning some fuel.
I see allot of guy's say to stick with the stock control arms ans even ran across somebody mentioning using the Savage 25 arms. Being new to it, I'm not sure which model He was talking about. Do you have any idea?

SyCo_VeNoM 12-09-2014 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by seth303 (Post 11933918)
Thanks SV, I've been searching the www for 3 days trying to form a list, I'll add the pull-start and stop-switch. It's been sometime since I've run a Nitro and expect to catch-on and gather my bearings fairly quickly once we start having fun. I just ordered the Integy tool set and looking forward to burning some fuel.
I see allot of guy's say to stick with the stock control arms ans even ran across somebody mentioning using the Savage 25 arms. Being new to it, I'm not sure which model He was talking about. Do you have any idea?

Basically when they speak of .25 they speak of a Savage that came out 10 years ago, and was discontinued when the original Savage X came out... so finding the arms might be a tad hard. Basically it seems they were a bit more flexible I have an original X, and its arms don't seem much different then the .21 arms I have which I think were the same as the .25's.

Generally if you aren't jumping over your garage(knew someone who's GF got a savage stuck on their garage roof...), a house(I've seen videos of it...), or something where its getting insane airtime the stock arms more then likely won't be a problem ;)

seth303 12-09-2014 08:44 PM

Funny story. If I did want some beefier arms what would you recommend? Also, what else would you recommend to "beef-up" for bashing? I'd like to get these parts ahead of time and have on st-by for when they do break.

SyCo_VeNoM 12-12-2014 06:53 PM

I can't comment on the new savage X's as mine is the original Savage X model, but when I used to run that I used to jump it 25 feet into the air, and do mostly very bad landings on cement, and nothing broke.
I clipped the stock arms multiple times with 0 breaks. Only thing I actually destroyed from crashes was an aftermarket chrome pipe(It got ROYALLY crushed) which I went back to the stock after that.

If anything get a spare set of a-arms outside that I can't imagine much breaking except a differential if he does jumps, and lands with the throttle on.

seth303 12-12-2014 07:19 PM

I've been out of this hobby for some time and hope to make the correct purchases my first time'round.

You mention A-arms, do you suggest get the stock arm's or give me a suggestion on aftermarket arm's? And would you suggest front and rear?

seth303 12-12-2014 07:30 PM

Also, what's your take on an aluminum steering and/or brake/throttle HORN. Is a servo saver necessary and what do you suggest?

I have 3 days of free time invested in searching this model. i ran across allot of good info with it's share of dead-ends. I'm hoping to get/have everything we'll need to get started.

Philly_RC_Guy 12-13-2014 05:20 AM

A good aftermarket arm for the Savage are the ones made by RPM. If you can't find a set of Savage 25 arms the ones by RPM are what you want to buy.

SyCo_VeNoM 12-13-2014 09:09 AM

I dunno if this is still true but you might need a better steering servo. I know on the old X's the steering servo sucked, and was pretty much the only recommended upgrade out of the box, but I think I read the new savage X's have a decent servo now.

Outside that I'd just leave it stock the knuckles are heavy duty, and more then likely won't break.

If the rear uprights give you trouble (I've never had issues on my X, but my other savage had issues) the (this hurts me to say) Integy rear HD uprights are pretty decent.

I wouldn't put anything else aluminum on it.
Also it should have a servo saver on it.

Basically just upgrade the steering servo(if needed), and run it as is till something breaks personally I wouldn't worry about needing backup parts as I've put mine through a ton of punishment with no breaks ;)

If you really really think you will need backup arm do as philly said, and get the RPM ones.

seth303 12-13-2014 09:27 AM

Ok, where's the hot-spot to get parts?

SyCo_VeNoM 12-13-2014 03:34 PM

If you have a LHS they should have parts as its a popular vehicle
other then that tower hobbies, or ebay