RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   how to make my truck do wheelies. savage ss 4.6 (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/7540172-how-make-my-truck-do-wheelies-savage-ss-4-6-a.html)

raptorddd 05-25-2008 09:48 PM

how to make my truck do wheelies. savage ss 4.6

when i first got it it did wheelies on command but after a few weeks it just stop and havent did any wheelies ever since what couls be the cause .?:D

Parputt537 05-26-2008 12:49 AM

RE: how to make my truck do wheelies. savage ss 4.6

Slipper clutch probably needs to be tightened. Or the weather changed and you need to re-tune. More than likely the slipper though.

BudBud 05-26-2008 01:27 AM

Do a You Tube search for rc tuning and watch that Hpi video. If your tune is good... something is slipping.

Midget 05-26-2008 01:38 AM

heres the tuning video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg

Though your slipper clutch it prolly worn out.
You could try taking your clutch bell of and use some sand paper
on your slipper pads.

Also could be you suspension set up...But thats prolly not the reason.

black mamba 05-26-2008 01:58 AM

Retune it. Chances are your LSN needs to be tweaked a little.

twomanytoys 05-26-2008 09:21 AM

I bet the clutch shoes are worn. Same thing happened to my sons X. I installed aluminum shoes and its a wheelie monster. Stock shoes were worn really bad after about 1qt of fuel.

Like other said check your tune before anything. Then check slipper and then clutch.

raptorddd 05-26-2008 11:58 AM

i have it tune like the video .
i do have yhe slipper clutch tight all the way
i do have aluminum mugen shoes
i have cleaned and sanded the clutch bell and shoes

Quote:

Though your slipper clutch it prolly worn out
midget how can i tell that the pad will be worn cause the pad looks new.
whats the purpose of the slipper if it is tight what happens and if it is loose.?
now suspension i dont use any preloads the plastic rings that you add on the shocks.

twomanytoys 05-26-2008 12:23 PM

they have plenty of power to wheelie no matter how the suspension is setup. If the slipper is worn it will rev real high and go no where. What clutch springs are you using? Have you done a pinch test and what temps are you running? Its possible that you are still running rich and not getting the full power. Have you checked if your carb is opening all the way with the remote?

Parputt537 05-26-2008 03:03 PM

If your spur gear is not flat anymore and is only making good contact with the slipper anymore it will also cause problems. Change your spur gear and slipper pad.

You may also want to pull your diffs and check the ring and pinion and the spider gears to rule out a stripped gear somewhere.

Could also be that your flywheel is loose.

burnchassis3 05-26-2008 04:25 PM

Stiffen up the rear springs/shocks.
A stiff rear end will wheelie easier then a soft 1.
Your tune,and shoes,and slipper could be ok,but the springs got soft.
Also check servo to be sure your getting FULL throttle .
Just another possiblilty.
CS

black mamba 05-27-2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: raptorddd

i have it tune like the video .
i do have yhe slipper clutch tight all the way
i do have aluminum mugen shoes
i have cleaned and sanded the clutch bell and shoes

Quote:

Though your slipper clutch it prolly worn out
midget how can i tell that the pad will be worn cause the pad looks new.
whats the purpose of the slipper if it is tight what happens and if it is loose.?
now suspension i dont use any preloads the plastic rings that you add on the shocks.

If the slipper nut is full tight, the pad won't matter any because tightening it as such removes the "slipper" from the equation. If you don't have any preloads on the shocks, it can affect wheelies. I will ditto what Burns said. I know a soft suspension negatively affected wheelies on my truck. Again, to reinforce what Burns said, for easy wheelies, the rear suspension should be as firm or hard as possible and that means putting the spacers on the shocks. This gives you mechanical leverage via the suspension geometry and lack of shock compression...hence easier wheelies. If the suspension is soft, it absorbs that mechanical leverage as the shocks compress and alter the geometry. I have dual spacers on all of my shocks and in my opinion, is perfect for a Savage that sees bashing rather than racing.

Midget 05-27-2008 12:51 AM

You could also try a new glow plug...

raptorddd 05-27-2008 01:02 AM

[quote][they have plenty of power to wheelie no matter how the suspension is setup. If the slipper is worn it will rev real high and go no where. What clutch springs are you using/quote]
twomanytoys the slipper is tight all the way it revs and goes. im using the mugen 1.1 springs

Quote:

Have you done a pinch test
whats the procedure what do i look for on pinching.? the temp are 236 f.

Quote:

Have you checked if your carb is opening all the way with the remote
yes it is.

Quote:

If your spur gear is not flat anymore and is only making good contact with the slipper anymore it will also cause problems. Change your spur gear and slipper pad.
i dont understand what u mean. Parputt537

Quote:

You may also want to pull your diffs and check the ring and pinion and the spider gears to rule out a stripped gear somewhere
im in the process on changing my bearing on the differential so i will go ahead and check bothe diffs.

Quote:

Could also be that your flywheel is loose.
how can i tell this.? if you mean the round thingy behind the clutch shoes its very tight

black mamba 05-27-2008 01:02 AM

Good catch on the glow plug.

d-rebel 05-27-2008 02:59 AM

so will it really hurt anything to have the slipper a bit on the tight side? it should still shift fine?

-SomeGuy- 05-27-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing
I have dual spacers on all of my shocks and in my opinion, is perfect for a Savage that sees bashing rather than racing.
I do the same on my basher, great for jumping and wheelies nicely also.

Midget 05-27-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: d-rebel

so will it really hurt anything to have the slipper a bit on the tight side? it should still shift fine?
I have my Slipper Tightened all the way up, so basicly-It dosn't even slip lol. It dose not effect the shift and you
shouldn't have to re-adjust.
To be Honest i rly don't see the point of have a slipper on the the sper gear, as the engine already has a slipper
clutch.
I have only striped 5 spers over two engines, mainly from Rocks and the engine bolts coming lose.

BudBud 05-27-2008 07:15 AM

I think it was intended to save the transmission or differentials if you land hard and shock the drive train as the engine clutch will not slip much at 30,000 rpm plus. That being said, I run mine very snug all the time, maybe backed of an 1/8th at the most and I thread lock the lock nut as well. BB

raptorddd 05-29-2008 01:16 AM

can someone tell me the pich method to check tune how and what do i look for

beer=food 05-29-2008 06:17 AM

Do a fast pass, pinch fuel line about an inch from carby, if it cuts out about 2 to 3 seconds after you pinch it the bottom end is set good, if it stalls instantly its a touch lean, and if it stalls 10 seconds later its rich, and a 4.6 should pop wheelies, no problamo like !
My truggy is 4.6 , but l stiffen back end, tries no to wheely with the centre diff, but its got so much toe it still does, LOL, and lm gunna supercharge it ! hahaha

LOL miget 5 spur gears, you crunny funt, your seriously funny, try setting it so it works, you can set them tight enough to wheelie and still work as a failsafe for your spur gear, l have destroyed about 10 spur gears myself, LOL, over 20 years of use though ! Best thing they ever invented was the slipper clutch, lve blown 2 or three spurs since they come on the scene.

l dont set mine the usual way, l use a screw driver, one the same width as the spur gears teeth, jam it in the spur gear, have truck on tarmak surface [ black road ] push it down into its suspension fully, push truck slipper should slide, adjust by tightening slipper nut until it locks up, push it again fully suspended, if it just slips its set awsome, the drive line should have a tiny amount of flex before the sliper gives, if it doesnt loosen nut just a touch, 1/10th ish , push truck if it slips, its set, will save ya spur gear on bad concrete landings rocks etc, if ya kids gunna drive it instead of using a screw driver to set it use your finger, this will be a setting similar to traction control, takes the punch off the line out for a better controlled take of, great for learners !

brett65 05-29-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

I bet the clutch shoes are worn. Same thing happened to my sons X. I installed aluminum shoes and its a wheelie monster. Stock shoes were worn really bad after about 1qt of fuel.

Like other said check your tune before anything. Then check slipper and then clutch.
Got over almost 2 gallons on my HPI aluminum shoes, they grip great!

black mamba 05-30-2008 11:22 AM

I've got the "purple" HPI shoes too and they work great. I have only had to clean them up once and I've had them for over a year now. Some guys bag on them, but I can't find a reason to.