RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   A Traxxas Revo 3.3 or a Savage XL??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/7619878-traxxas-revo-3-3-savage-xl.html)

williams.cory 06-14-2008 10:11 PM

A Traxxas Revo 3.3 or a Savage XL???

Hello all,
I used to have a Savage X 4.1, then I sold it. I want to get back in the hobby, but I'm not sure whether to buy a Revo 3.3 or a Savage XL? I am VERY leary as to buying another HPI product. The X I had WAS NOTHING BUT PROBLEM AFTER PROBLEM. So MANY problems, it wasn't even funny. I actually was about to do away totally with this hobby after owning that POS Savage X. I went through at LEAST 15 spur gear ( had the mesh lined up PERFECT, even had my LHS mesh it ). I converted to the old Savage 25 spur set-up, but yet I still ate them up like nothing. Had to replace it after 5 minutes of playing. This is something my LHS can't even fugure out. I Went through 4 diffs, 1 up front and 3 in back. I called HPI and they sent me a aftermarket alloy case and hardened gears for both ends for free. I was happy with it until my ******* diffs stripped AGAIN. I replaced the front pinion AND the back diffs with the aftermarket set-up. And the tranny was starting to mess up in it befor I sold it. And I DIDN'T even bash it hard!!!! I drove on some grass and small dirt hills with it. The one-way bearing went out WAY to fast. I replaced the bearing at least 4 times, along with the crank that the bearing sets on. All this has happend, and I only have had the truck for 1 month!!! Only went through like 2 gallons. I think the Savage X IS A MONEY PITT!!!! I spent WAY to much money on this truck. I didn't even have any fun with it, because I was always worried it was going to break ( Which is did break EVERY time I played with it ). I don't do any jumps or bash hard. I just want a monster truck that won't break on me, and it will handle a little bit of bashing. I am not sure whether to get a Revo 3.3 or a Savage XL?? I personally think the XL has to much power for its weak components. I have seen tons of guys stripping out the pinions on the XL. I'm sure there will be other probs. to come with the XL. Not really sure about a Revo, so thats why 'm asking. Are they durable?? Any info will help..... Sorry for the long story....... I have had other things have on the X, but I don't want to type up a long long story.

ThunderbirdJunkie 06-14-2008 10:41 PM

RE: A Traxxas Revo 3.3 or a Savage XL???

You gotta pay to play. If you run your truck, you're gonna break parts.

My guess is, you didn't do your research on what NEEDS to be done to the truck before you run it. I did, and I've had gallons upon gallons of trouble-free fun from my X. When a part breaks, I upgrade it. Then it doesn't break.

On all Savages, the clutch SUCKS, and that's why your spur gear gets eaten. I don't know why people don't get this. I can't beat that dead horse enough.

First things that should be upgraded on ANY Savage before it's EVER run:

Clutch shoes/springs, vented clutchbell, set your gear mesh. Read the sticky at the top of the forum. I wrote it. It applies to ALL Savages.

If you get the XL and pay attention to your truck instead of just yanking it out of the box and running it, you won't have any issues. RTR means Ready to Rebuild, and that goes for ALL cars..Associated, Losi, Traxxas, HPI, Tamiya, CEN, XTM...the list goes on and on and on and on.

It's not the truck's fault, and I'm sure that the current owner of your truck is having a blast.

Also, 2 gallons of fuel is a LOT of runtime. Somebody here did the calculations and they get 800 mpg. That's 1,600 miles on a TOY TRUCK. a TOY TRUCK that turns 35,000 rpm and goes 35 mph.

With ANY RC car you're buying a high dollar, high maintenance toy; just like a Ferrari or Lamborghini. You have to check the truck over EVERY time you're done running it.

If you have that sort of trouble with a Savage of any generation and don't learn anything, you need to consider just buying a Tamiya XC chassis Hummer.

Mspeed 06-14-2008 10:43 PM

I got a Savage X when they first came out like you did and then switched to a revo 3.3. I started having problems with my Savage as soon as the bigger motor went in .32 axial. Broke engine plates with just the power alone not to mention landing on the roof was a easy cracked plate and then thats were the spurs would just strip due to lack of good alinment. Then it was the screws falling out so locktited them all, then steering servo was way too weak to steer it. Then too much play in the steering linkage so the new high torque servo wasnt enough. After trying to get the brakes to work properly and have a good set up slipper clutch so it wouldnt fry my dog bones and break diffs I decided to try the revo. I can tell you the revo has its own set of issues but the ones I hate the most were gone with my revo. And after learning about a few things I decided to just stay revo and stop with the savage and now I am glad I quit with the savage. I love the material traxxas uses for there brakes and slippers, I can really dial the slipper in were I want it to save my whole driveline, plus no more weak motor plate to crack in a heavy truck. After putting a wing on my revo it was enough to stop the engine from even hiting the ground on roof lands. I see weight plays a huge roll in how your truck must be built. The revo is lighter and doesnt need to be as beefed up as some of the bigger trucks like the savage and XL. The heavier weight causes more impact force so the truck needs more strength. Plus with more weight your driveline, diffs, spurs etc are going to take more abuse, bigger motor to push the weight and more traction with more weight. So your slipper needs to be set right or you need a real beefy driveline. No matter which you get you will have problems. For me I like the revo for its handling and option center diff is nice takes alot of load off the driveline(unloads the rear diff under power). To be fair the savage was my first monster nitro, so there is a learning curve involved, but traxxas just came out with there revo 3.3 soon after I got my X and HPI didnt upgrade till a bit later so its a little unfair now that HPI has some improvements.

williams.cory 06-14-2008 10:48 PM

Well I didn't get 800MPG out of 1 gallon. I idled the truck ALOT because I didn't want to shut it off then have to start it again. This is all because my one-way bearing kept going out, and pretty fast. A $20.00 part gone in a couple days. Its not like I just went out there and bashed and didn't care for the truck. I tried to becareful, because I wanted to play with it. I have had a XTM X-Factor, and it didn't have probelems like this! I have a Ofna Violator 9.5 and I only broke 1 Part! And that was a knuckle due to hitting a rock. I have run at least 3 gallons through this buggy, and nothing but thatknuckle has broken on it. THe buggy is good and all, but I like a monster truck better.

Mspeed 06-14-2008 10:51 PM

You can set the revo up for box start too if you want to eliminate any more oneway bearing problems completely. In fact all you need is a back plate and a good box starter that will reach. Or get the traxxas 40mm flywheel to make sure it grabs.

BudBud 06-14-2008 10:52 PM

Sounds like a couple of guys from the reko boards decided to come bash Savages, if you are that upset with the Savage and Hpi, buy a revo.

These two posts are a whole like walking into a weightlifting gym, picking out the biggest guy in there and hitting him with a 2x4, what kind of response do you think you are going to get?

Sorry about your bad luck with the savage, the spur gears are user error, one way or another. bb

ThunderbirdJunkie 06-14-2008 10:52 PM

You must have been running a high oil content fuel. Run a Race blend like O'donnel's (not the RTR formula) or White Lightning and your OWB troubles will go away.

I got 6 gallons out of my OWB on my M427 and 3 gallons (pulled the engine, ti's still sitting in a box somewhere) on the one on my F4.1 with no troubles.

Every problem you listed sounds like user error.

the X-factor is a totally different vehicle. If you're using the same fuel with the SH powered X-factor, you should be chewing up one-way bearings like CRAZY...UNLESS...

you're a rotostart button holder:eek: "hey, my truck won't start. I bet holding this big red button for about 30 seconds at a time will make it start"

williams.cory 06-14-2008 10:53 PM

Mspeed. I also agree with the servos and the CRAP brakes! I hated the really weak servos and brakes that take 1/2 mile to stop the truck. I could have upgraded the brakes, but I was saving that money to buy a future break on the truck. When the truck was running, it was REALLY fun!!! I loved to drive it. But that only happed for about 3 minutes once a day. My LHS loved me cause I spent major $$$$ there. I often had to wait for them to get a part in so I could buy it.

ThunderbirdJunkie 06-14-2008 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

You can set the revo up for box start too if you want to eliminate any more oneway bearing problems completely. In fact all you need is a back plate and a good box starter that will reach. Or get the traxxas 40mm flywheel to make sure it grabs.
Wow, $130 to solve a $15 problem.

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me.

The servos in the Revo are crap too. The brakes are crap on the Savage...but then again...OH WAIT, that could've been found out before you bought it!

Seriously...this thread needs to die. if you didn't like your old Savage, you won't like your new one. Have fun with your Trash-as and your glow plug wire and your QueasyStart and your overheating 3.3...

williams.cory 06-14-2008 10:59 PM

Thunderbird. I ain't DUMB. I know a little about these trucks. And I used O'Donnell. THe truck really did rip when it ran, but that wasn't often. AND NO, most of it WASN'T my fauly. Call my LHS if you want. I'll give you there number. They didn't understand it either. The LHS guy even offered to take it home with him for a couple days and bash it and see if it breaks on him, and see if he can't figure it out. A lot of the time my LHS did a lot of work on it, and they have been in the buis. for a lot of years, so they know what they are doing.

Mspeed. I like your opion. I think I have my mind set on a Revo.

ThunderbirdJunkie 06-14-2008 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: williams.cory

Thunderbird. I ain't DUMB. I know a little about these trucks. And I used O'Donnell.
RTR or Race blend?

THe truck really did rip when it ran, but that wasn't often. AND NO, most of it WASN'T my fauly. Call my LHS if you want. I'll give you there number. They didn't understand it either. The LHS guy even offered to take it home with him for a couple days and bash it and see if it breaks on him, and see if he can't figure it out. A lot of the time my LHS did a lot of work on it, and they have been in the buis. for a lot of years, so they know what they are doing.

Mspeed. I like your opion. I think I have my mind set on a Revo.
I really don't care that much. And it sounded like you had your mind made up in the first place, so why'd you even bother posting? Really easy to blame the truck, I suppose. All the problems I've had with my Savvy have been me-centric, so I guess my truck is really just a piece of crap?:eek:

I never said you were dumb, anyway. Savages have their tweaks that need to be done before they're run, and all the problems you had with yours...surprise surprise...show me that yours wasn't prepared for such things. Had you done your research, you would've known that diffs were a Savage weak point, as are spur gears (because of the clutch), and one-way bearings because of rotostart abuse.

Whatever you buy (I'd suggest an E-maxx, for simplicity's sake) I hope you have fun with it. And an LHS that doesn't understand the ins and outs of every truck they sell is not a good one.

BudBud 06-14-2008 11:07 PM

I think they forgot the 2x4.....

williams.cory 06-14-2008 11:13 PM

Thunderbird...

Everyone told me the Savage was a reallt good basher. THats why I got it. I did my reasearch. I couldn't find anything bad on the Savage. I didn't know it would be problem plagued. And my LHS and MAJOR Savage fans. They know they better than anyone else in town. And I ain't getting no E-Maxx. I pretty much have my mind set on a Revo. I just posted this thread to get people opions about the Revo and the Savage XL. I didn't post to have some guy come and critisize me and say it was all my fault. You don't know anything about what I went through, So don't go talk smack about how the truck had nothing to do with it, because it did. The buggie I have now, nothign braks on it,.

legine 06-14-2008 11:20 PM

wow....15 spur gears, thats not right..........did u tighten the slipper up???
When you say you went through 4 diffs, do you mean the whole diff or just the pinion and/or crown gear??

Ive had my savage 4.6 X for a while now and im loving it, stripped one spur gear from incorrect mesh (left it from factory settings) stripped one pinion in the front diff (but that was from landing some jumps withe the power on by accident) and ive gone through a few dogbones.........but take in mind that i jump my savage a good 3 metres high and about 10 metres long so some breakages are unavoidable.

Go for the XL.......revo is too small and too hard to work on, the savage is very easy to work on.

My 2 cents

ThunderbirdJunkie 06-14-2008 11:23 PM

k:eek:

1/8 buggies are inherently tougher than MT's. Less weight, similar drivetrain, aside from not having a 2 speed. I never upgraded anything on my 1/8 buggies. Ever. My Savage...not much is left stock on it. 'cept for the plastic parts and the transmission...

I know what you're talking about, don't assume I don't simply because I'm not right there. I've worked in a few hobby shops, and rebuilt customers' Savages, T-maxxes, and Revos front to back because they didn't listen to my advice.

the XL is going to be like any other Savage. It has a Kingstar engine, it's got terd servos, sucky stock brakes, ring/pinion gears that are prone to breakage on WOT landings, and the chassis is tough. BASH WORTHY RC trucks are built, not bought, regardless of brand.

williams.cory 06-14-2008 11:26 PM

Legine. I know, i went through a lot! I know the mesh was correct. I had my hobby shop even mesh it quite a few time. I did everything to keep it from stripping. Still stripped. And the 4 small bevel gears and the main head all stripped. A couple teeth would come off and destroy everything.

ThunderbirdJunkie 06-14-2008 11:28 PM

I did everything to keep it from stripping.
Did you install aluminum clutch shoes?

williams.cory 06-14-2008 11:30 PM

Thunderbird. I appreciate you spending time to do posts and help out. I just don't like it when someone comes in like they rule the post, and they start blaming the user. That really gets my blood presure up! I repect you advice, as any advice is appreciated. I want someone to tell me truthfully what they think would better suit my needs for a truck.

williams.cory 06-14-2008 11:34 PM

Well I guess I can't say everything, can I then THinderbird?? Here is my situation. I was 15 years old at the time, and I had a job paying min. wage. I was just concerned on saving money to buy the parts I needed to keep it running. I spent my WHOLE summers work money on this toy. That is why I am so mad at it. Wasnt very happy spending $600.00 in repairs over a couple months.

BudBud 06-15-2008 12:23 AM

Okay, I will bite....

The spur gears are destroyed by mesh or heat.

If your driving style got the clutches super hot, you could melt the spur gear, the same for a loose slipper or a bad clutch bell bearing.

If the teeth were chewed off, you did not have the mesh perfect. My three Savages are all the older 25 series. I have replaced the differentials, normally the front first, then the rear in my case.

A lot of people ruin spur gears with a broken or bent engine plate.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGQq1sd9Jc]This truck[/link] is running a stock 47T spur gear with a vented 18 bell. It has the stock clutch shoes and used to just fry spur gears left and right.

I had a broken engine mount plate and it took me too many gears to find it. It also had a severe air leak, would not run right, got super hot, and sometimes when you parked the truck, it would melt a horseshoe right into the spur.

Part of that problem was that the engine would race as it warmed up and you had to slip the clutches to get the truck stopped. Hot engine, hot clutch shoes, no plastic gear.

It was all part of the learning curve, we cannot go back and look at a truck you sold and tell you what was wrong, it could be a lot of things, but one thing it was not, is the plastic spur gear's fault.

I do not know what differential the 4.1 X had. When I broke mine, I just replaced them with the aluminum four gear differentials. It is cheaper to buy one on Ebay than it is to buy the replacement parts. I keep two spares in the basement all the time. remember that I have three trucks. I have not broken a pinion or ring gear without a bearing going first. I have broken several bevel gears, but those parts never got the ring and pinion.

The stock servos are junk, you might as well just toss the throttle servo and use the steering servo on the throttle until it dies. That is just life in any RTR, they are not putting a radio-servo set that would bring 600 dollars in a 500 dollar truck and give you the truck too, it just will not work.

I like the 4.6 engines, both of them, i have not had any issues that were not user related with them.

The new XL is a redesigned Savage X. Hpi did beef up a lot of parts and the new engine does not appear to be as strong as the Picco 28, Picco 26, LRP 28, STS 30 or a host of other engines. it is nothing special, it does seem to produce big torque and is just a bigger Axial 32 or K4.6. guys are already replacing the 36 with hotter 28s and getting a stronger and faster truck.

I have not heard about this differential shattering yet. That would really surprise me as they did beef up the weaker parts there as well. They installed taller tires and geared the truck lower. It is not significantly faster or slower than its preceding models.

The new dogbones are substantially heavier than the old ones, so are the out drives and axles. The new truck weighs very close to the same as the old one.

Basically, you will be buying the same truck you had before, only a little longer, a little wider and with a little more power. Some of the problems you describe have been solved. You are not going to get a 1500 dollar truck for 500 bucks, it just does not work that way.

I have to wonder about the transmission, I have broken transmission parts before and keep a couple of spares there too. I am not aware of any transmission upgrades.

You will not melt the new spur gear as it is metal. They also went to aluminum clutches. They even went to the vented clutch bell.

I do not own a revo and have never been around one. I do own a load of RC cars and trucks. I am going to buy an XL soon....

There was nothing positive about the Savages in your original post. It sounds like you already had your mind made up and came to the Savage forum to stir the pot. If it has a fault, I am not one to hide it. I hate wasting money as much as the next guy. if you look back, you will find I try to help people as much as i can with their problems.

I never called you stupid either....

Clymer122693 06-15-2008 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: legine

When you say you went through 4 diffs, do you mean the whole diff or just the pinion and/or crown gear??

Ive had my savage 4.6 X for a while now and im loving it, stripped one spur gear from incorrect mesh (left it from factory settings) stripped one pinion in the front diff (but that was from landing some jumps withe the power on by accident) and ive gone through a few dogbones.........but take in mind that i jump my savage a good 3 metres high and about 10 metres long so some breakages are unavoidable.

Go for the XL.......revo is too small and too hard to work on, the savage is very easy to work on.

My 2 cents

Compared to the X the Revo is the same size. And if the Revo is hard to work on then your smoking something bud. And of course the XL is going to be bigger then the Revo,the Xl compared to the X makes the X look like a 1/10 to 1/8th.

Savage X vs Revo

As you can see the Revo has better ground clearence (both trucks are at full suspension extension,the Revo has the LT kit and can still sit up higher if you move the pushrods up another space.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...P1030105-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...S/P1030113.jpg

Both Trucks at shafts level
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/100_1660.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/100_1663.jpg

As you can see the Savage has a much more HCG.

BudBud 06-15-2008 12:43 AM

Here is the older style axle and the new XL.

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-143681.jpg

here is the XL dogbone and your old dogbone. You did not say anything about snapping dogbones, but that has also been an issue. I think they addressed that as well.

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-144593.jpg

I plan to convert a pair of my trucks over to the XL width. It takes the differentials, dogbones, axles and spacers. You can get by with just the out drives instead of the differential, but if I am spending over half the cost of the differential for outdrives, I am spending the other half and getting the whole thing.

pythonfan 06-15-2008 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

ORIGINAL: legine

My 2 cents

Compared to the X the Revo is the same size. And if the Revo is hard to work on then your smoking something bud. And of course the XL is going to be bigger then the Revo,the Xl compared to the X makes the X look like a 1/10 to 1/8th.

Savage X vs Revo

As you can see the Revo has better ground clearence (both trucks are at full suspension extension,the Revo has the LT kit and can still sit up higher if you move the pushrods up another space.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...P1030105-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...S/P1030113.jpg

Both Trucks at shafts level
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/100_1660.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/100_1663.jpg

As you can see the Savage has a much more HCG.
zac you have to understand tho you have worked on a revo for years its easy to you but for this guys he is gonna have to learn the in's and out's before its easy just like the savage.

takenotes Bch 06-15-2008 01:56 AM

... oops double post

takenotes Bch 06-15-2008 01:59 AM

I own a Savage X a revo a LST2 and many others they all have problems, For every story I hear like yours I can give you 100s for every RC they make, sometimes you get a lemon of an RC somtimes the RC gets a lemon of a owner

even had my LHS mesh it
LOL never a good idea to have your local hobby shop do it, how can you learn by having somebody do it for you. For advice on which to get, they all are in the same catagory, because a Savage, a Revo, LST2, a Schumacher, Team Associated or whatever you choose will have to be worked on, have money spent on, and have problems. This is the story of the RC monster trucks[sm=wink_smile.gif]

I have a Ofna Violator 9.5 and I only broke 1 Part! . THe buggy is good and all, but I like a monster truck better.
Apples to oranges, Very bad to compare the 2 together.