Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software > Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators
Reload this Page >

Need help in setting up controls for a CP heli

Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Need help in setting up controls for a CP heli

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Eddie nyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help in setting up controls for a CP heli

Hi,
I have Aerofly Professional Deluxe for Mac and am currently using the game commander controller that came with it. Right now I'm spending time trying to fly the Crowniii CPheli, and just really care about the heli aspect of the simulation.

I've gone through a basic setup and now have all the sticks working as they should for US mode, and on the front page of the control menu I also made my top left flip switch tie to the autorotation/wheel break setting (last row I believe) so that I can get use to hitting Throttle Hold if I'm going to crash.

I want to learn some basic 3D, but can't figure out how to set up a stunt mode. I've tried to mess around with the basic and advanced menus but can't really get everything to work as it should - i.e, have a normal mode and stunt mode where the throttle is basically at 100% all the time. I'm completely stumped.

Can someone please help me with this? I'm getting no where.

Separately, I have cables coming in the mail that should enable me to use my Dx6i with this. Do I need to set this up differently as well or it's the same thing as setting up the game commander. I'm not sure if the program reads the currently heli settingg and I don't need to do anything, or if I have to re-set it up like the game commander.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:52 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need help in setting up controls for a CP heli

You'll need to set up a v-throttle curve for 3D and you'll need a programmable radio. Your pitch curve should be set to 0 pitch at half stick, positive pitch (climb upright) above half, and negative pitch (climb when inverted) below half stick. You would have to check if you can program this pitch curve in your Dx6. The throttle curve can be set to a "v" shape. You should also calibrate AFPD with the idle-up function on, with the stick at half position initially, then moving the stick to the extremes. Set your throttle channel to CH 20 in the advanced menu.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 AM
Eddie nyc

ORIGINAL: rajul

You'll need to set up a v-throttle curve for 3D and you'll need a programmable radio. Your pitch curve should be set to 0 pitch at half stick, positive pitch (climb upright) above half, and negative pitch (climb when inverted) below half stick. You would have to check if you can program this pitch curve in your Dx6. The throttle curve can be set to a "v" shape. You should also calibrate AFPD with the idle-up function on, with the stick at half position initially, then moving the stick to the extremes.
Ok, thanks. Can't do 3D with the stock game commander. Wish I would have known that before. From what I recall, I think the pitch curve is 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 in Stunt mode, matching what was in the Blade mCPx manual. The throttle curve in stunt mode is 100% across per the manual too.

I hope I can get the Dx6i to work properly on there. I bought the Ikarus connector and USB connector, tried to download the patch as well but when I double-clicked on it it wouldn't open. Hope that isn't necessary for something.

When I connect my controller and assuming it works, do I need to go into the control menu and play around with the settings for what each stick and switch does? How do I tell aerofly which switch on my controller is stunt mode, normal mode, and throttle hold? Or does it know it already?

Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 AM
rajul

Please post a photo of the gamecommander you have and cables that you purchased
Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Eddie nyc

Please post a photo of the gamecommander you have and cables that you purchased
The game commander is the one that comes with the software (pictured on the box below). The cables are in the mail, but areIkarus part numbers: LXXUT3 and LXXUT1. I put their pictures below as well.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM
rajul

The usb slave cable and the adapter cable you ordered are correct. For 3d setup, you will need to wait for your programmable radio. I suggest you go through the setup and calibration section in the instruction manual first. Then follow my instructions above to setup and calibrate the throttle and pitch curves for 3D (assigned to idle-up switch on your radio). If you're new at heli 3D, I would also suggest that you get an experienced heli flier to help you out. Here's some info on 3D heli setup http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-he...er-radios.html
Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 AM
rajul

For your usb slave cable to work, you will need to plug in both the gamecommander and the usb slave into separate usb ports as per the instruction below:

1. Start AFPD with only the original USB Interface Cable or USB Game Commander connected. If the USB Interface Cable is connected without a transmitter you will get a message saying that no Tx was detected - Click OK
2. Connect the USB Slave Cable or Slave Game Commander to a free USB port, wait a few seconds and then click on “Calibrate”. Ensure that your transmitter is in PPM mode.
3. In the “Input Device” window click on “Refresh”. You will then see “USB Dummy Intf #0" or “USB Dummy GC #0” - highlight this and click on “Properties”.
4. Calibrate as you would with any controller (see instruction manual).
5. Click on “Controls”. At the bottom of the window click on “New”.
6. On the left lower section of the window click on the circle displayed at the “USB Interface/Game Commander #2”.
7. Proceed with the “Channel Assignment” - Click OK when finished.
8. At the “Aircraft Control Settings” window you will see “New USB/Interface/GC #2” - Assign to Aircraft 1 or 2 and click OK
9. You are now ready to fly.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Eddie nyc

For 3d setup, you will need to wait for your programmable radio. I suggest you go through the setup and calibration section in the instruction manual first.
Thanks, I have the Dx6i already and set it up to fly the Blade mCPx. Were you talking about the Tx setup via that manual, or something in the aerofly manual that addresses how to tie in outside controllers? Need to find my Aerofly manual....
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Eddie nyc

6. On the left lower section of the window click on the circle displayed at the “USB Interface/Game Commander #2”.
7. Proceed with the “Channel Assignment” - Click OK when finished.
Sorry to keep coming back with questions, but this will hopefully be the last until I have the cables in hand in a day or so to try it. On #7 where you say proceed to Channel Assignment, how do I know what to assign Throttle Hold, Normal, Stunt modes? If this is like the Advanced Menu on the control panel, the terms pretty much all looked geared to airplanes and not helicopters: flaps, wheels, hook, etc. Maybe it will be a different menu, but I couldn't figure out what channels would have been the right channels to assign the Tx functions to (outside of the sticks) just from looking at the function labels.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Eddie nyc

Cables just arrived in the mail today! Hope I can figure this out so that it's better than with the stock game commander.