Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: DX7 problems

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DX7 problems

Hi all,

I just bought Aerofly 5.7 for use with my MacBook Pro and 4-year-old DX7. I got the stereo-mono adapter, I am using the servo-like stick connector and it is connected according to the picture on the Ikarus web site, I've checked that all the plugs are securely fastened, I've tried all the different trainer modes and position of the trainer switch. But still, the program does not see the DX7 properly. It thinks that there is a USB adapter and controller present, but when I go into the Calibration window, the program does not detect any movement of the sticks.

I am out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DX7 problems

Dave, could you post a photo of your cable connection from the computer to your DX7? You should disable the trainer mode. Although the DX6/DX7 radio is DSM (not PCM or PPM), the signal from the trainer port is tapped before any modulation is applied and is PPM compatible, and therefore works with AF5. There is nothing to set in the radio, but an AF5 JR stereo-to-mono adapter cable is required. Leave the DX7 switched off before plugging in the adapter cable. The radio will automatically switch on when the adapter cable is plugged into the radio. The radio will not work with AF5 if it is manually switched on before inserting the adapter cable.
    Mike Marks
    RCU Moderator
    Aerofly Support Representative http://www.aerofly.com/index.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rajul

Dave, could you post a photo of your cable connection from the computer to your DX7? You should disable the trainer mode. Although the DX6/DX7 radio is DSM (not PCM or PPM), the signal from the trainer port is tapped before any modulation is applied and is PPM compatible, and therefore works with AF5. There is nothing to set in the radio, but an AF5 JR stereo-to-mono adapter cable is required. Leave the DX7 switched off before plugging in the adapter cable. The radio will automatically switch on when the adapter cable is plugged into the radio. The radio will not work with AF5 if it is manually switched on before inserting the adapter cable.
    Thanks, rajul. The secret was turning off the transmitter.

Does it say this anywhere in the manuals? I could not find it in the main manual or the USB instruction insert.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, sounds good to me! No, this is not in the manual as it is very dependent on the type of transmitter.
    Mike Marks
    RCU Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rajul

OK, sounds good to me! No, this is not in the manual as it is very dependent on the type of transmitter.
    I see. It would be nice if somewhere there were a table on the web site that listed the transmitters, which cables connections went with them, and whether the transmitter should be on or off, and that sort of thing. Or in the manual a note that said to try it with the transmitter off if it doesn't work when it's on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll provide your feedback to Ikarus. In any case, you could drop me a line here if you have any questions.
    Mike Marks
    RCU Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

do all Spektrum radios need to be switched off, or just the Dx7?
    Owner - IFlyTailies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not able to test all of them, but I think its true for DX6 and 7. Same thing applies for most of Futaba newer generation radios with the square micro-connector. It all depends on how the trainer port and adapter cable are designed. The radios that automatically turn on when the adapter cable is plugged in normally also disables radio transmission such that you don't have to remove the module. This is a safety feature to prevent overheating of the transmission circuits when using Aerofly. If you have to turn on the radio manually for Aerofly to work, then you would have to disable the radio transmission by removing the module, or through the radio software.
    Mike Marks
    RCU Moderator