Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aerofly 5.67 GameCommander Version w/DX7 - Connection?

All,

I have iMac w/ os 10.8. I bought the version with the GameCommander. Due to the erratic behavior of the GameCommander and other issues I'd like to use the DX7 instead.

I've got the JR adapter cord, and I tried to use it with the DX7 and the GameCommander connected at the same time but the DX7 was not recognized. More than one experienced person on the ipacs.de forum indicated that since I have the GameCommander version I only need to plug the GameCommander in along with this other cord.

Do I have to buy the Ikarus USB stick as well? If yes, where in the US can I get this unit (rather than get it shipped from Deutschland for $85)?

I have attached a photo of my items, from left to right:

1) GameCommander
    2) Ikarus PN 31036 "adapter"
    3) USB Cable I used to use with my DX7 in FMS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aerofly 5.7 Cabling.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	333.3 KB 
ID:	1963011

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi Bill, you will need to get an Ikarus dummy usb interface (p/n 3031010) from http://shop.ikarus-usa.com/ The cable connection for a JR/Spektrum radio should be as in the attached diagram. When you order the dummy interface, make sure that it includes all the cable in the diagram (except the adapter cable for the radio). Yes, you will need to plug in the GC into a separate usb port because it contains a security code to enable AF5.

You should disable the trainer mode. Although the DX7 radio is DSM (not PCM or PPM), the signal from the trainer port is tapped before any modulation is applied and is PPM compatible, and therefore works with AF5. There is nothing to set in the radio, but an AF5 JR stereo-to-mono adapter cable is required. Leave the DX7 switched off before plugging in the adapter cable. The radio will automatically switch on when the adapter cable is plugged into the radio. The radio will not work with AF5 if it is manually switched on before inserting the adapter cable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connection3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	1963144  
    Last edited by rajul; 01-29-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Mike Marks
    RCU Moderator
    Aerofly Support Representative http://www.aerofly.com/index.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks, Rajul!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have the proper connections and I can get my DX7 to control the models.

However, one of my primary problems that made me want to use my DX7 in the first place is that the GameCommander (which is plugged in per requirements) delivers random "stabs" of various control parameters to the models, rendering them largely unflyable. I always get the following error message at the bottom left of the screen which states: "RC Failure! (Controller reliability is set to less than 100%). I am sure that is a mistranslation from German, however, it reflects the basic problem.

Do you have a suggestion for a solution to this? I wondered if there a way to make the GameCommander inactive so that it transmits no control inputs yet remains connected to provide the "dongle" effect.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Bill, under the simulation menu, go to simulation settings, and set your transmitter reliability slider to 100%. You should be good to go after this.
    Mike Marks
    RCU Moderator
    Aerofly Support Representative http://www.aerofly.com/index.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by rajul View Post
    Bill, under the simulation menu, go to simulation settings, and set your transmitter reliability slider to 100%. You should be good to go after this.
    what a revelation! You know, I swear my kids go in here and change stuff around.