Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Aerofly FS Mac DVD compared to Aerofly FS Mac App Store

Trying to determine what the differences between Aerofly FS Mac DVD version (Ikarus #3081004), and Aerofly FS download version offered on the Apple Mac App Store would be running on an iMac 27" desktop.

The last DVD version update seems to be 1.0.5 via IPACS, and the Apple App Store shows a last update (Dec 6-2013) as version 1.2.7

Being as the Apple App Store download size is quite large at 18 GB, it would take considerable time & bandwidth to download the program, however on the upside, there are 5 Add-on aircraft offered for purchase which gives future expansion capability.

The DVD version would allow for a quick install but may not have the upgrade/expansion or support capabilities as the Mac App Store download.

I recently purchased the Aerofly RC7 from the App Store and am very impressed with the high resolution detail in both aircraft and scenery, plus enjoying the 4D scenery options offered for extended touring..... while learning to fly using a RC type transmitter. I understand it is far better to crash a sim aircraft, than it would be to destroy the "real deal" ... lol ! This was incentive enough to look into the Aerofly FS versions of the software, which allow for even greater touring capabilities of Switzerland.

So the question is, would the two versions be similar in graphics detail, aircraft choices, geographic areas covered, and overall flying experience ? I would look forward to your thoughts, suggestions or recommendations.

Many thanks in advance,
    Dave / oldkingcoal

PS: My thanks to Rajul for linking me up to this excellent forum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Dear Dave, thank you for posting your questions here.

I would suggest that you get the download version for mac osx. You are right that the download is large and in fact you will need twice the disk space for the download and install i.e. 2x18Gb disk space. You can only get the addons for the download version. Basically future aerofly simulators on the mac osx platform will only be released as download versions, unlike the windows version which will continue to be available in DVD and download versions.

Yes, the aeroflyFS mac DVD and download versions are identical in graphics, flight physics, location map, etc but as I said, please get the download version. Hope this clears the air for you.
    Mike Marks
    RCU Moderator
    Aerofly Support Representative http://www.aerofly.com/index.html

Hey Mike,
    I appreciate your help, expertise and advice on this one .... Looks like a long download is ahead for me on the App Store, but I"m sure it will be worth it for future add-on expansion, updates and releases.

All the best,
    Dave